Recent Posts

Scarlet_Phoenix_Risin
g

on 2/27/06 9:44 pm - EXPORT, PA
Topic: RE: Ovarian Cancer Survivor
My appointment is March 16th. April 12th is my one year anniversary for my ovarian cancer surgery. Time flies doesn't it? I was never anemi****il my very last chemo treatment when they gave me the shot. I still don't have all of my energy back but it is coming back in incriments. Have a great week!
Pegtrala
on 2/27/06 10:02 am - Beaverton, OR
Hi Karen. When did you say is your doctor's appointment? I need to schedule to see my gastroenterologist so that I can have an endoscopy sometime this spring. April 27th will mark my 2nd anniversary since my stomach cancer surgery. Pretty amazing. I'm going to go by that date when I count how many years I have been cancer free rather than my second surgery last August when they found suspicious cells but no cancer. I'm still dragging a bit, but I know that will continue until I get my iron levels back to normal. I will also go in and have bloodwork before I see my internist the end of March. Busy, busy, busy! Take care. Do keep posting to this message board. Okay? Peg
Pegtrala
on 2/20/06 3:24 pm - Beaverton, OR
Topic: RE: I too, am a cancer survior...so far
Hi Jan. Thanks for the reply and well wishes. I have had two surgeries, and I hope that's all I have to have done. They did not find cancer the second surgery, but still removed the rest of my stomach since there were cells that were turning again. So far, so good. I will have to go in sometime late spring for another upper endoscopy and a CAT scan. I'm sure I will be doing that every year until the magic 5-year mark. It will be 2 years the end of April since I had my first surgery. Almost 2 years and counting! I just started attending support groups in January. It's nice to finally meet some people who have had WLS and to personally hear their stories. They are very inspiring. Well, I hope to talk with you again sometime. Take good care of yourself. Blessings, Peg
Bartlettcowgirl
on 2/20/06 12:27 pm - Bartlett, TX
RNY on 06/27/06 with
Hi Peg, As you said, it's nice to hear from someone else who has or is experiencing the same situation as you. I'm sorry to hear about your stomach cancer. I hope that the treatments work for you. There have been many advances in the treatment of cancer. My mother passed away almost 12 years ago from uterine cancer and my aunt passed away from breast cancer about 13 years ago. So, as you can see, cancer runs in my family. All one can do is pray and hope that the treatments work. I will be thinking of you and checking out your profile and posts. Tonight, I went to my first support group for wls people. It was very informative and interesting. It was neat to meet people in person who have had wls. I will not be having my surgery until the end of May because my husband and I are planning a long vacation in mid-April to mid-May. I hope to continue attending the support groups as I feel they are a great benefit. Do you attend any support groups? Thank God for Obesityhelp.com...it has been a wealth of information and support. Bye for now. Hugs. Jan
Pegtrala
on 2/20/06 9:52 am - Beaverton, OR
Hi Karen. I'm glad you posted. Good luck with your application. I hope you have smooth sailing getting approved. I too just wanted to say hello. Peg
Pegtrala
on 2/20/06 9:50 am - Beaverton, OR
Hi Janet. I'm glad you posted here. I'm sure there are others of us who have battled or are battling cancer. I have been battling stomach cancer and have posted a few times, so you can always go back and read my posts. I'm glad that you are now cancer free, and I pray that you remain so. I know of someone else who had the same kind of treatment you are going through using tuberculosis bacteria. I'm so glad it is working for you. Let's keep posting when we can. It sure helps to share with others who are experiencing similar situations. Peg
Scarlet_Phoenix_Risin
g

on 2/17/06 7:44 am - EXPORT, PA
Topic: Ovarian Cancer Survivor
Hello everyone, I am 32 years old and just started the process of applying to have lap band surgery. I was diagnosed in April of 2005 with Ovarian cancer but I am now cancer free. I just wanted to say hello to everyone. Have a great weekend!! Karen S
Bartlettcowgirl
on 2/14/06 10:46 pm - Bartlett, TX
RNY on 06/27/06 with
Topic: I too, am a cancer survior...so far
I am 58 years old and have not yet had my wls. I just saw my wls surgeon yesterday (Valentine's Day). I was very impressed with him...he was very compassionate and listened to and answered all 16 of my questions, despite the fact that he was running over. The major cancer that I had was cancer of the right ureter. I had to have my right ureter and kidney removed. Thank God, the cancer had not spread beyond the organs. My Dr. even did a bone scan to make sure that it hadn't gone into my bones. I didn't have to have chemo (thankfully), just 3 month checkups. Unfortunately at my second 3-month checkup, the Dr. found bladder cancer. So it was another scarier moment, now what do I do. I had to have the tumor removed at the hospital and then when I was healed, start bcg treatments. These treatments consist of infusing your bladder with turburcolosis bacteria to help your bladder fight the cancer cells. (sounds weird, I know, but it worked). I've had no more recurrences of bladder cancer, so I am on a maintenance schedule of having 3 bcg treatments every 6 months just to make sure that the cancer doesn't return. I'm sure that if I lose all of this weight, it will help my body fight those nasty cancer cells that may want to show up. My mantra now is ...lose the weight and get healthy in order to fight the bad nasty cancer cells out there! I'd like to hear from any others out there who have had to battle cancer. Hugs and support, Jan
S W.
on 2/11/06 5:25 am - MI
Topic: RE: 3 Time cancer survivor, WLS post op 6 months out, and my Father is dying too....
I can't eat dairy products at all, never liked cottage cheese (ew) and I am not able to tolerate tomatoes.....the skin and seeds bother me, always have. I have a high protein oatmeal cereal I found at the co-op store that's organic and has 9 grams of protein per serving plus I add raisins and nuts (slivered almonds) so that and my coffee is my breakfast when I eat it. Which is rare. Since I work 2nd shift, I rarely eat breakfast anymore. Coffee, vitamins and a protein bar is my first thing in my mouth daily. Other than that, yes I eat meat, was eating meats early on, just have to eat lean cuts of it. I eat more fish than anything else. Thanks for the support!
lrosenda
on 2/11/06 4:41 am - Magna, UT
Topic: RE: Survivor of Malignant Melanoma
Cheryl, Welcome. I don't check this message board too often, but, want to say congratulations on your 17 year survival. It is a real accomplishment. My boss wasn't so lucky. He died of malignant melanoma last year. His father and brother also died from it. I am a 4 year breast cancer survivor. I've done well. I had my WLS on May 23rd, I've lost 129 lbs. I feel like I'm really going to be healthy now! Take care and keep reaching out! Lori 384/255/168
Most Active