Major Complications

Gus H.
on 6/3/11 7:34 am - La Puente, CA
I had emergency exploratory surgery on May 13, 2011 due to abdominal pain. I had a bowel obstruction and 90% of my small intestines were dead and removed. I flatlined on the OR table and now I'm on TPN.  Not to mention, my RNY was reversed.

I had RNY in 2006 at one of the best hospitals and one of the top surgeons in San Diego, CA.  I began to have major abdominal pain all throughout 2007-2011.  I'd go to ER yelling and after shooting me up with morphine and sending me to xrays, everything would be fine and would be sent home.

It was never diagnosed that I had a bowel obstruction. My surgeon and PCP believe that I always had a "kink" that would just come and go which caused the pain.  On May 13th, it was a full blown bowel obstruction and all or my intestines were tangled up. 

Now I'm dealing with short gut syndrome and moving forward.  It was a horrific experience nobody should go through.
bebaugh
on 6/4/11 2:57 am - Merced, CA
My husband has short gut syndrome too. He had a carcinoid tumor where the small intestine joins the large intestine. The removed his ascending colon and some of his small intestine along with some lump nodes and the lining of the intestine. So I understand what you are going through. You are going to take a while to heal so be patient. I will PM you with our phone number if you have any questions he will be glad to talk to you and give you advice. He is also a RN.

Bebaugh (Elizabeth)

"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending." Carl Bard    

Amz
on 6/12/11 7:40 am - CA
Oh my gosh Gus!!

I'm so sorry to hear all of your health problems, but am so relieved they were diagnosed and you are somewhat on the mend.

All my best to you and your family!!

Amy
Amz

HW 273/ PSW 253/ SW 250/ CW 211/ 1st GOAL 200/ 2nd GOAL 180

jlw1203
on 8/16/11 11:27 am
I feel for you, the same thing happened to me 4 yrs after my surgery.  I got excruciating abdominal pain and went to ER. They did xrays and CT and transferred me to the hospital where I had the surgery done with a possible internal hernia, whi*****identally I had 6 months after my bypass and needed surgery. 

I woke up on day 15 after being in critical condition on a ventilator.  Unfortunately for me 21 days post-op I developed fistulas and had to wear a bag to collect fecal material.  I was NPO and on TPN therapy at home for almost 8 months.

In Feb 2011 I had surgery to repair the fistulas, a 5 day hospital stay lasted for 3 weeks.  I got an infection in my wound and had 5 more trips to the OR.  5 weeks after the surgery, I was getting ready for work when my wound opened up again and now I had 2 fistulas, a drain, and a hernia.  After losing confidence in my surgeon I went to a surgeon in Philadelphia who seems to have fixed the problem.  I am now suffering from short gut syndrome and struggling to keep my weight up.

It is a long road, but you will be okay, I've heard it takes a long time for the bowel to adapt, and I do hope this is true. Good luck!
lovelyladi
on 8/31/11 5:49 pm - CA
ER's are not recognizing this problem.  I was told 2 times I had an intusssusception (not). People are dying.  I have experienced this problem my self and with friends(one died) in San Diego emergency rooms.

I pray that you will be better soon
Most Active