Severe Stomach Pain

jackie L.
on 8/17/11 10:22 am - quitman, AR
Hey guys. I am 33 months post op gastric bypass and have had no problems....until about a week ago. I started having these pains in my upper right breast..which ended up in my chest....and now is a sore dull feeling..very tender to the touch. im thinking maybe something is up with my pouch or stomach...i went to the er thinking it was a heart attack, and it wasnt. they did an xray and blood test and everything panned out...so im thiunking it may be my stomach/pouch.......i plan on seeing my gastric bypass doctor..but he cant get me in for a few weeks....they put me on ranitidine,l and its kinda helping. any suggestions or anyone else who has had this happen?! any answer would help.
God never promised it would be easy, but he did promise it would be worth it.
Docj
on 8/17/11 10:30 am
Revision on 09/01/88
Go to your primary or see a gastroenterologist...
Goodluck
rbb825
on 8/18/11 6:21 pm - Suffern, NY
I would see a gastroenterologist. it could just be heartburn/reflux.  You should get an endoscopy to rule out an ulcer.  I would recommend you get some prevacid or prilosec instead of the ranitidine - it works much better and is stronger.  They are PPI's and work great for reflux and are also used to treat ulcers.  They can't hurt you - most RNY patients take them as a rule of thumb for atleast a year and if problems with heartburn, reflux or ulcers take them indefinitely.  You can get them over the counter or you can get a prescription for Protonix or Nexium.

Dave_K
on 8/31/11 4:11 pm - 5 miles West of Boston, MA
It could be a Petersen's hernia caused by weight loss.

What is it? It could kill you!!

I have a horror story for you.

I was having abdominal pain about 4 years after surgery and I actually had intestinal malrotation caused by a Petersen's hernia where weight loss causes extra space in the abdomen. The small intestine wrapped around the large intestine and strangled the large intestine. I was about 2 hours from death when I had emergency bowel resection surgery losing 20 cm of small intestine and additional weight loss to 30 pounds BELOW my goal weight. I have recovered somewhat but my nutrition is all messed up. Apparently there is a fairly common problem with Petersen's hernias that I never imagined I'd have to deal with.

Get an MRI or a scan of your abdomen if pain persists at all but be aware the Petersen's hernias are usually not seen in an MRI or a scan. Mention your WLS to your doctor and mention a possible Petersen's hernia. I thought my pain would magically go away after a few days but it didn't and waiting almost killed me.

I wish I knew about Petersen's hernias when the pain first started that's why I'm posting here to raise awareness of this complication.

Good luck & God Bless!!

Dave
317/165

lovelyladi
on 8/31/11 5:23 pm, edited 8/31/11 5:24 pm - CA
Upper right breast might be gall bladder but see call your surgeon now!

I too almost died from an internal hernia and bowel obstruction...at almost 8 years post surgery (but really suffered for years b4 it became life threatening). never thought it would happen to me despite  a close friend dying from one.   Now I too have nutrition problems

Be proactive with your health

Good Luck and God Bless
Sandgirl37
on 9/27/11 10:25 am - Rancho Cucamonga, CA
Hello,
i was on the board because I am having some severe pain everytime I eat now and very bad intestinal cramping that comes and goes with unloading everything, I was wondering if these are maybe the same type of symtoms you felt. I am 8 years post op Roux-en-Y. I have gained about 25 pounds back and recently 10 of those pound in the last 2 months. I have different insurance then 8 years ago, and my WLS doctor is out in LA and I cannot just go and see him since I have an HMO. I really feel deperate and at times feel like Im dying! I am weak and struggle to eat as when I do it hurts mt stomach the moment it get there. Then in 15 minutes the pain works it way down to my lower intestines and I feel like Im dying with bouts of pain that comes and goes. Do you recognize with any of these symptoms? Or do you know anyone who may have the same symptoms? Please let me know, and Im sorry if unloaded to much information, I just feel desperate. Thank you,
Sandy W
Sandee    
Divine Lady
on 6/3/12 3:09 am - Suburb, MI
I had same symptoms, turned out to be severe GERD. My stoma is wide open and stomach acid is backing up through the opening. Medication does not help. I am seeing a bariatric doc next month.

My history, was 280 day of RNY (2005), never felt much restriction, lost only to 255 a year later, went on nutrisystem, lost to 229 by hard work of dieting and exercise, had to go on hormone therapy for other medical issue, started regaining, now up to 289 with no restriction. Recently had an EGD due to severe GERD and found out my stoma is wide open and so food just drops through. I am scheduled to see a bariatric dr. next month. I want to lose but I am more concerned about the GERD than anything else. The stomach acids just wash back up through my wide open stoma causing severe burning and pain making it difficult to function and especially hard to sleep. I have been in emergency twice because the chest pains can get so bad. Do any of the stoma surgeries (eg stomaphyx or ROSE) help with GERD even if there is no weight loss?
Divine Lady
"My 3 Rs for success: Remain focused on my goals, Remain committed, Remove Toxins from my life(toxic people, toxic situations, toxic foods)"
Most Active