could this be a blocked bile duct had gallbladder removed a year ago

robinfrommilw
on 11/8/11 8:56 am - WI
hmm last week double over in sharp stabbing pain had a ct scan was normal and blood work was good except for my liver test were abnormal. I had 2 servere attacks one last 45 min to an hour.. then again 30 min after eating lunch then it went away I stuck with soft diet the rest of the day then I was back to eating normally. The last few days just come and go dull pain. Today more of the dull pain in upper right under the rib cage had couple sharp pains but nothing like last Friday.

The surgeon office was suppose to call me back yesterday or today no call I call them at the end of the day but was told that the surgeon wont be in the office until Friday and the assistant already left for the day so hopefully she will get back to me tomorrow. Hubby is concern as he sees me holding my tummy alot. I try to hide it from him he just had back surgery 2 weeks ago so all my focus is taking care of him and our 2 kids. I had my gallbladder taken out Oct 2010 had my rny july 28, 2009. The assistant said it could be my bile ducts could be blocked? But either a utrasound or endoscopy would need to be done. But again I hear nothing more probaby because I never call back to say hey i am in pain since it wasnt' the stabbing pain I figure I could just deal with it by taking a pain pill and gas x just in case it is gas. Anyone have this issue before? Could abnormal liver test be block bile duct?

I also had a peterson hernia July 2010 had it repair can you get another one it did not show up on the ct scan and no blockage was seen or twisted bowels as well. When I had my hernia it also wasn't seen on the ct scan but it show something was wrong when the pancreas enzymes was 4 times over the limit which then went in emergency explore surgery and it was found and fix. My gallbladder wasn't seen thru all the traditional test like ultrasound they had to do a hida scan and the dye wouldn't even fill in the the gallbladder so more or less I had a gallbladder that stop working.
Robin from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Distal gastric bypass 7/28/09
6 month supervised diet done lost over 50 lbs pre-surgery
My facebook page is:
www.facebook.com/robinfrommilwaukee  (just put that you are from OH in message to add you to my facebook)     
       View more of my photos at ObesityHelp.com

August 2010 weight 138 lbs lost of 179.5 lbs but gain again since my gallbladder surgery Oct 2010 range recentlly my weight got up to 166 and I was in freak mode. I am now down to 152.6 hoping to get back to 135 and started generic wellbutrin

Carol S.
on 11/9/11 1:00 am - Milwaukee, WI
 It could be all sorts of things.  If I remember correctly, you still can get stones stuck in there.  Not everything shows up on CT's and sometimes exploratory surery is neccessary to find a reason for pain.  You could have scar tissue, etc.

I hope they can get you in soon, and figure out what is going on.
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

Melanie M.
on 6/14/13 10:11 am - Tarzana, CA

Hi Robin, hope that you are now doing well. I had roux-n-y in 07 with gallbladder removed beginning of this year. Now, after being hosptilized with pancreatitius I find out that that I have a billary stricture and/or sphincter of oddi. I'm wondering if you found out answers and how it was resolved.

Best,

Melanie

Melanie M.
on 6/14/13 10:12 am - Tarzana, CA

Oh, and I added you on FB but there was option to add that I'm from OH (from Cali.).

st_mel
on 8/20/13 12:04 pm - Waco, TX

I'm sorry to hear you're in pain.  Here's my two cents, for what it's worth.

I had my gall bladder out in October 2008, RNY in August 2009, and gall stones in my common bile duct in February 2010.  The stones in my bile duct resulted in sharp, stereotypical pain in my right shoulder blade, just where I had the pains from my first blockage in 2008.  In 2008, it took about three days for me to stop eating, have dark urine, and have gray BMs.  It took about a week before I became jaundiced.  With the stones in 2010, it took about 18-20 hours for me to become so nauseous I couldn't keep down water, and about 27 hours to become jaundiced.  My labs were extremely abnormal.

After that surgery, I kept having random pains that felt like biliary colic.  After several tests, we finally discovered that coffee gives me biliary colic.  Green tea does as well, but the reaction is not as bad as the coffee.  I can drink black tea with no problem.

That said, my gastroenterologist started me on an elimination diet before doing any tests.  I cut out dairy for two weeks (and thus coffee since I couldn't use even non-dairy creamer), then I cut out something else for two weeks (sorry, I forgot what), and then two weeks after that, I had to cut out tomatoes.  Don't ignore the colic, if that is what it is, but it could be produced by something you are eating or drinking.  I had tried tracking my foods but didn't see any patterns.  It never occurred to me to track my drinks, too. I don't think it's common.  The gastro said I was the first patient she had ever had that developed biliary colic from coffee.  In fact, she normally recommends coffee to her patients because it's good for the liver.  She said the other most likely cause (before finding out it was the coffee) was excess gas.

I hope you find a solution.  Over the two years I was in pain, I had MRIs, CT scans, an upper endoscopy, and even open exploratory laparotomy (during which a hernia was found) before anyone even thought of trying the elimination diet.  Good luck!

Most Active