sucks

jenbear
on 5/27/11 3:00 am - hagerstown , MD
i am 2 years out and just started running into hypoglycemia, i think reactive but not sure.  Im actually pretty mad about it, nobody ever said i would have any problems like this, and i actually found out i may have this because i had a seizure on sat. from it.  Sooooo mad.....  now i am so parinoid and i check it all the time and all i eat is protien and veggies because im so scared.  I though surgery was supposed to help get rid of these things not create them, so ur telling me i was healthier before i had surgery?  Im just angry and not quite sure of this anymore.
NoelPatterson
on 5/30/11 6:09 am - CA
Were you a high a1c diabetic before surgery? I am I'm hoping this will help my diabetes.
Mishelle R.
on 6/2/11 6:15 am
with reactive hypo - you can have normal a1c's
(deactivated member)
on 6/4/11 12:55 am - Woodbridge, VA
We had the same surgeon! heh, hope your experience with him was better than mine (though it sounds like perhaps it wasn't if no one ever mentioned the possibility of reactive hypoglycemia to you even though I KNOW they were studying post-WLS hypoglycemia at the lab at Johns Hopkins when I was enrolled in a different WLS study there!).

Protein and veggies and FAT are all fine to eat (no, really - fat is not unhealthy for you unless you eat it WITH lots of carbs). If it's reactive (likely), it will be more difficult to control while eating carbs. What I understand may be happening is that the carb**** the intestines faster (primarily due to bypassing the pylorus), so the body reacts with a rush of insulin. However, it provides too much insulin, and that causes your glucose level to go lower than normal. To avoid this, I would stick primarily to protein, fat, and low-carb veggies (as in not potatoes, corn, etc.).
sara_fowler
on 7/2/11 7:39 am - NY
Sorry to hear about your hypoglycemia and find it scary. I was diagnosed with Type ll diabetes 10
months ago.  I read everything I could get my hands on and decided to have an MGB.  My insurance won't pay for it and was told my BMI was not high enough to do surgery.  I weighted 230 lbs and am 5'7.  I wound up going to Costa Rica and having my surgery with Dr. Quesada.
I just had my surgery 2 months ago and am happy to say I am no longer on any medications and no longer have diabetes.  I have lost 28 lbs.   It has been a miracle or at least I thought so.
I did not know running into hypoglycemia 2 years later.   This does suck.  I thought that as long as I stick with my weight loss and eat right I was out of the woods.  Like you I thought that my
surgery was going to handle these things.  Are you taking medications again for this now???
Now I have to worry about this and I was so happy to be diabetes free.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 823 views