When will my blood sugars be normal

Tammy R.
on 7/14/11 5:11 am - Covina, CA
I thought one of the points of RNY surgery was to get off my meds for diabetes. My fasting blood sugars is from 140s to 190s. I have to admit its much better than before surgery, I just want it to go away.
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

(deactivated member)
on 7/14/11 7:17 am - Woodbridge, VA
Be patient - it's not always immediate. Plus, stress on the body can make glucose levels wonky, and you're still healing from surgery, which is MAJOR physical stress.

Are you off your meds right now? I was tapered off of my metformin gradually for my first 6 months post-op.
Tammy R.
on 7/17/11 4:31 am - Covina, CA

I haven't been to see my PCP. But my surgeons orders are for me to take a metformin if my blood sugar is over 160. I was on glyburide, insulin and the metformin before surgery. About half the time I check its barely over 160, but I would love to be off diabetes meds altogether.

lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

(deactivated member)
on 7/17/11 11:52 am - Woodbridge, VA
Your surgeon doesn't seem to know much about diabetes and how metformin works, then. If you take a metformin just because you have a reading above 160, it WILL NOT HELP. Metformin works in such a way that you have to take it for a few WEEKS before you see the results because it has to sort of build up in your system. It will have no effect if you just take it occasionally "as needed." If I were you, I would seek advice about your diabetes meds from your PCP or endocrinologist (whoever you've worked with previously regarding your diabetes meds), not a surgeon. Surgeons specialize in SURGERY, not diabetes.
Lucycat
on 7/19/11 6:24 am, edited 7/18/11 6:24 pm - Lewiston, ID
My blood sugars went down gradually. I stayed on metformin for a few months after surgery, but didn't take the glimepuride, actos or insulin. After about two months my blood sugar seemed to stabilize and I don't take any medications now. My latest A1C was 5.5, so be patient, it will probably happen for you pretty soon.

Karla Rapoza
on 7/20/11 1:10 am - MA
I just want to say that i am 3 weeks out today and this surgery has done a total 180 on my life.. I was on a insulin pump that needed to be filled 2 times a day = 600 units plus i was U 500 and i took up to 30 units or so a day of that and for every 10 units it = 100 units of insulin so i was up to about 800 units a day and i was taking oral meds too... I had surgery on June 29th and the next day i was off all my meds and i was takin off my pump... I take 15 units of lantus @ bedtime and i wake up with a fasting blood suger of 120-140. I am feeling great and should be off all my insulin with in a few weeks. This was the main reason that i had this surgery done
    Karla
JustNan
on 7/31/11 12:11 am - Lawton, OK
 Hi Karla!  Diabetes is my main reason for wanting the surgery also.  What was your A1c going in to sugery?  I take 500mg metformin twice a day, victoza in the morning, and 40-50 units of Levimir at night, plus Apidra during the day.  I went from an A1c of 13 last Sept, to 8.5 in March.  I am not a good diabetic patient, so my numbers are probably back up.  Boo!   I was just reading a post where most Dr.s won't do the surgery until your A1c is down.  Boo again! 
Karla Rapoza
on 7/31/11 11:44 pm - MA
Hello, when i started this process a almost a year ago i was at a 12.9 and when it came down to crunch time my dr told me i was too much of a risk i needed to get my a1c down to at least a 9.0 so that became my mission it was a lil higher then he wanted but  i was able to get it down and that was what mattered i think all dr.'s have a diff aspect on it some dont care and my dr.' cared very much it was my life in his hands.. I took 2000 mg of metformin and actos and victoza and my pump and u-500 a day . i was starting to give up. I am glad i didnt buecause i am off all of the meds and slowly weening myself off my 15 units @ bedtime too...  I looked at this surgery as i need help with my diabetes and i get to loose wight as a bonus.. This surgery was the best thing i did. I know you can do it keep up the work ...Good Luck !!!!!
    Karla
Massagelady
on 9/3/11 12:43 pm
 ok I'm 16 days out from surgery.  Before surgery I was on insilin for my type 2 diabetes.  I was never very good I keeping it in check last A1C was about a 9.o. I was really looking forward to having my diabetes go away!  so far no such luck.  Its been between 150 and 190 most days, but randomly last night it was 240!  What the heck?  I'm not even eating!  arggg...I'm not on anything at the moment.  Maybe I should be for awhile?  thoughts?

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views