Type 1 Diabetes post op (RNY)

joneswood
on 6/12/12 7:44 pm
 My wife and I both have ad GB surgery (me DS and she RNY).  I writing about her.  She developed what appears to be type 1 diabetes AFTER the surgery.  Recently, blood sugar levels have been all over the place and went from 20 to over 300 in one day (she was unconscious at 20 and taken to hospital).  One doctor believes the diabetes could be mixed with or complicated by metabolism and malabsorbtion changes due to RNY.  Anyone have a similar experience or heard of this happening?  Doctors are unsure what else is going on.
funkyphillygirl
on 6/13/12 12:16 am

If you don't mind the question, how old is your wife?  I write about this alot, but there is a type of diabetes that many call Type 1.5 - it's a combination of type 1 and type 2.  It's really an autoimmune disease, in that the body attacks it's own insulin making cells and causes a slow onset of insulin dependent diabetes. It's often found in normal weight adults around the age of 30. 

I have that type of diabetes, although was not normal weight at diagnosis.  I have been diabetic for almost 26 years, insulin dependent for 25 of the 26 years and had RNY in September. 

I have also read that some people experience severe hypoglycemia a year or two out from RNY (and other weight loss surgeries).  I know less about this, but there have been a number of postings about it.

Had your surgery at Abington, eh?  I'm a Montgomery County girl myself and had my surgery at Penn/Presby, although I had a consult with Dr. G. at Abington at one point. 

joneswood
on 6/13/12 7:03 am
 My wife is 41. She was diagnosed with diabetes three years ago (2 years after surgery). Sounds like the diabetes 1.5. Can you tell me more about diabetes 1.5?
southernlady5464
on 6/14/12 11:32 pm
You can read more about LADA (type 1.5) here:
forecast.diabetes.org/magazine/features/other-diabetes-lada- or-type-15

Also, if you want other help, I am a member of a large diabetes yahoo group owned by an Endocrinologist out of Boston...here is the yahoo address: groups.yahoo.com/group/diabetesworld/

We have quite a few LADA's on there.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

joneswood
on 6/17/12 6:47 am
 Thank you so much for the information.  We will be looking into both websites.  Hoping that we can get a pretty sensible treatment plan for my wife.  I'm hoping that there is additional information on people who have had this condition (provided that this is what is really going on with my wife) and we can get more treatment options.  Thank you so much.

joneswood
on 6/17/12 6:48 am
 Also, How is your surgery going?  I'm almost five years out and loving every day.  Have some issues with certain foods and have become keenly aware of the location and condition of public restrooms wherever I go, but other than that, no problems or regrets. 

Hope all is well with you also.
southernlady5464
on 6/18/12 6:00 am
Doing great, thanks...it's good to hear about other vets!

One way to avoid the necessity of locating EVERY restroom is to limit simple carbs to about 50-100 daily. And avoid too much sugar acohols. I can use splenda just fine but the others tear me apart!

Yeah, I developed lactose intolerance post op and almost 17 months out, I am still lactose intolerant. But other than that and carbs being a mixed blessing, it's been the best thing I could ever  have done.

Liz

Duodenal Switch (Lap) 01-24-11 | Surgeon: Stephen Boyce | High weight: 250 in 2002 | Surgery weight: 203 | Lowest weight: 121 | Current weight: 135 | Goal weight: 135

funkyphillygirl
on 6/17/12 11:40 pm
I do think that your wife needs to get some tests to see what is happening.  It might be good to see an endocrinologist also, if she isn't already?  i am in the Philly area and can recommend two to you - Dr. Mark Schutta at Penn and my own guy, Dr. Neil Streisfeld (with offices in Bala Cynwyd and NE Philly).  If you want more information on either one, just post and I'll get it to you. 
Pharm77
on 1/10/14 9:56 pm

I have to ask, I think I'm type 1.5.  Lap band 8 years ago and now want revision w/either sleeve or RNY.  Nervous b/c I don't want hypo reactiveness w/RNY so really thinking about sleeve.  Please help! TIA.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views