Diabetes Post VSG Weight Loss Surgery, weight resistance & Metformin

MissSassySlim
on 11/5/12 1:02 am - CA

Hi everyone, I have been a Diabetic Type 2 for over 25 years now, I have been on Metformin for over 10 years, and pre-op Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy I was on 50 units of Lantus Insulin every night, 1000mg Long release Metformin, 2-3 units of Novolog Insulin short release (when required) and Januvia. A1C June 2011 was 10.6, with Januvia and the switch to long release metformin and diet it went down to 7.0

After surgery I left the hospital off Insulin, Januvia and Novolog and my metformin was changed to the short release 750mg per day. My A1C now on based on the short release Metformin and diet, it is coming down so slowly now it is 6.5. I have lost a total of 85lbs, but for 7 months have not lost any weight. I am seeing my Endocrinologist tomorrow as I have a sneeking suspicion that the Metformin short release is causing some kind of resistance to weight loss. Once I was switched to the long release version and added Januvia I dropped 30lbs pre op, they had to put me on short release post surgery as you cannot crush the long release version.

Has anyone found that Metformin short release has slowed your weight loss down or caused weight gain?

I was on short release for over 8 years and it did not help with weight loss at all, my diarrhea was horrible and since being put back on the short release the diarrhea is back, the long release helped decrease the side effect.

MissSassySlim
on 11/5/12 1:03 am - CA

P.S I also have PCOS (Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome for over 25 years)

funkyphillygirl
on 11/5/12 5:00 am

I have type 1.5 diabetes, PCOS also and am 13 months post RNY.  I am still using Lantus and Novolog insulin and metformin, albeit at reduced levels and was able to stop using a lot of other oral meds.  Metformin is not associated with weight gain at all - if anything, if promotes weight loss as it addresses insulin resistance.

talk to your doctor, but remember that it's typical to lose about 30% of your starting weight.  If yours was around 300 (which you mentioned), than 90 pounds is about what the surgery will give you.  You've lost 85, so you may be nearing the end of your weight loss.

I lost about 70 pounds up through the first 7 months and then have lost very little since them.  Maybe a few pounds, but it took me about 3 months to lose another 5 pounds.  It just doesn't come off the same and, not sure how old you are, but that also plays a factor.  I am 55.

My docs are much more interested in me reaching and MAINTAINING a good weight for me.  if you have been overweight for most of your life, you body is built to carry more - your bone and muscle structure - all of that is built to support more weight.  So, I'd perhaps talk to your doctors about what is realistic for YOU, given your health history.

Good luck - keep us posted please....

MissSassySlim
on 11/5/12 8:31 am - CA
My pre op weight was 270, 225 surgery day so I have only lost 35lbs in 11 months with the VSG and stalled at 190lbs for 7 of those months.
funkyphillygirl
on 11/5/12 1:29 pm

When is your next post-op visit?  Can you call someone on your team to review your status?  I had frequent stalls on my way down for months at a time.  Did you and your surgeon discuss what you could expect in terms of total weight loss?  I had RNY, so I'm not as knowledgeable about VSG and what you can expect.

Stay strong and keep doing the right things.....

MissSassySlim
on 11/5/12 1:33 pm - CA
I have had monthly post op appts since surgery, my surgeon has no clue to why my stall has lasted so long, he has never had a patient like me. The VSG is not as rapid as far as weight loss goes compared to the RNY.
funkyphillygirl
on 11/6/12 12:05 am

How frustrating.  However, if you look at your starting weight, you have lost almost 30% of that to date.  That's great news!  Have you attempted to vary anything, like your exercise time/type or fluid intake?  These are just a few random ideas that I know have helped others in a stall.  When I hit one about 6 months out that wouldn't move, I upped my protein considerably and added a few of the protein shots.  That got things moving again.  Sometimes our bodies just accommodate to whatever we are doing very quickly, and we need to shake them up (safely and sensibly) to get them unstuck....

MissSassySlim
on 11/6/12 12:52 am - CA
For 7 months I have switched everything up, tried different things and nothing has worked. I just had an appt with my Endocrinologist and she has no idea either, she said all of my blood work came back excellent so internally I am the healthiest I have ever been. My thyroid is almost over active so it's def not that causing this long stall. I am just going to keep pushing through this and find the answer. Giving up is not an option!
funkyphillygirl
on 11/6/12 1:02 am

Exactly!  And, although frustrating, you hit the nail on the head - you are the HEALTHIEST you have ever been!  To me, that is the most important thing.

Keep posting if it helps.  I am interested in how you do!

FluffyBunz
on 11/11/12 11:51 pm - union city, MI

I have not had WLS yet, in fact I am just beginning my journey. I am also diabetic and take metformin long release. I took the short acting for 6 years and suffered with terrible diarrhea. After switching to the long release it went away. I have found it very difficult to lose any weight while taking metformin, I fight for every pound. I keep a food diary and exercize 4 days a week. I can diet so strict for 2 weeks and lose 1 pound. I have read all the post and reaserched metoformin to a great extent. What I have learned to accept is that everyone is different. Its great that metformin helps some people get there BS under control and they lose weight, but for some like me, my body is so resistant to let go of this 100 pounds of fat Ive been carrying around for 30 years every pound lost is a struggle. I am interested in how you will do, its great that you have lost 85 pounds! 

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views