Introduction of new member

ibcraig0
on 3/6/13 5:17 am

HI all.  I am new here and thought I would introduce myself.  I am 55 and have been at least 100 pounds over weight for over 25 years.  About 10 years ago I had hyperthyroidism and after losing about 80 pounds they gave me radioactive iodine to kill my thyroid.  Since then I have developed high blood pressure and about two years ago diabetes.  I was only taking metformin for the last two years but a couple of months ago the doctor told me he was going to have to put me on insulin.

I freaked out and said no way I am not doing that because my dad did and he went down hill with his health from that point on.  So I made drastic changes to my eating, and started exercising.  At first I could only exercise 20 minutes a day but I kept at it until I was riding my exercise bike for an hour a day.  At that point I stepped on my elliptical that had been collecting dust for over ten years and was able to go for an hour on that, even though it kicked my behind royally.  I have been doing one hour a day on that for the last 3 weeks and now I am actually starting to feel fit.

I am losing weight, not as fast as I would like, but still losing.  The best part is that my blood sugar is consistently between 100 and 125 in the mornings and after meals it ranges from 135 to 160 depending on what I eat.  I stopped taking the metformin a little over a week ago and my blood sugar is actually doing better than before.  I also stopped taking the lisinopril for my blood pressure and that is doing better too.  I read an article that talked about all the side effects of prescription drugs and how lisinopril causes high blood sugar and how metformin causes high blood pressure, and how synthroid causes both high blood pressure and high blood sugar.  So I am self medicating, and I know I should be doing this with a doctor, but doctors that I have seen care only about writing prescriptions for what ails you and care nothing for healing you.  So I am monitoring my BP and glucose levels and so far I feel better than I have felt in many years. 

So that is my story in a nutshell.  I am here to share ideas and see what others are doing.  I hope to gain new insights and ideas and maybe help others make changes that can be positive in their lives.  Thanks, Craig

Medic795
on 3/8/13 6:43 am - Elizabethtown, KY
VSG on 03/13/13

Great Post, I am 9 days into a pre op diet, and my sugar has returned from a average of 220 to around 120, I have stopped my insulin, but continue my metformin. I am afraid to get it to low. The doctor can adjust when the time comes. I have had DM type II for around 10 years. Good to see a post from the male side good luck.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 147 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 475 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 816 views