Glucerna and protein powder

J. Montgomery
on 3/9/13 6:21 am - NC
RNY on 04/03/14

Hi, I suffer from diabetes type 2 and am in the screening process. I have purchased protein powder (Designer Whey) and am having some difficulty adjusting to it. My question is, can the protein powder be mixed with Glucerna? It has very limited sugar (of course because it is a diabetic supplemental drink and the taste is much better than the whey alone. Does anyone have any experience with this?

funkyphillygirl
on 3/9/13 2:51 pm

I don't have experience with it, but am Type 1.5 (insulin dependent), so I carb count everything and then dose according to carb count.  I am assuming you are not using insulin? 

I'd ask either your doctor/endo or nutritionist what they prefer you do.  I don't think it's a big deal, but I'd ask to be sure.

Julie J.
on 4/26/13 2:38 pm - NV

I use Unjury brand protein powder. As far as I recall the nutritional stats are wayyy better than Glucerna and tastes pretty good.

DarwinS
on 9/10/13 9:06 am - NM

Thanks for the tip on Unjury, site looks great, bookmarked.

Thanks Again,

D

Ballerinababe165
on 6/8/13 3:56 am

I am in the process of getting back on track. I had a stomach stapling years ago and I regret it to this day. Since my GP will not refer me to a surgeon. I feel doomed!

I just got some powdered protein...I go by my serving size. A bottle of Glucerna only has 11 grams of protein . I am supposed to have 7 grams at breakfast, 14 grams at lunch, 21 grams at dinner and 7 grams at bedtime. + 15 serv of carbs daily. + 5 serv. of fat.

I have, after 3 bottles of Glucerna, started to react with gas and bloating. So, it is time to quit. That makes me upset as I could get it free with an RX from my doctor.

The powdered protein is an isolate which means all the nasties are taken out so you don't get like that. I put it in my coffee and smoothies. It cost 30 bucks. I am on a very limited budget. GRRRR!!!!

emckechnie
on 8/27/14 12:17 pm, edited 8/27/14 12:18 pm - West Sacramento, CA

I use EAS Advantedge Carb Control in chocolate. It's tasty, not too sweet, very low carb with soy protein and pea protein. My nutritionist said that while pea protein is lower quality than meat, it's fine as a protein supplement. It has 17 grams of protein per 11 ounce container. You can get it at Sam's Club.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views