HGBA1C postpones surgery?!

ltruswell
on 6/7/13 10:00 am - PA

So I met with my surgeon and upon review of my lab work he has informed me that he is going to postpone surgery until I can get the level down. This is the whole reason for the surgery!! I have been to 2 endocrinologist all of whom recommended this surgery and now a delay? Has anyone else had a delay because of their levels?

KerrieKat
on 6/7/13 11:06 am

I was just recently told I need to get my A1C level down. It is 10.2 as of last month. They said it is because such high levels will prevent healing after surgery. So I am working like crazy for the next few months to get them down so I can have surgery. I'm soooooo tired of being diabetic. Hope this helps.

ltruswell
on 6/8/13 8:59 am - PA

It does help. Are you doing anything besides just eating a majority of protein to get it down? I cannot take one more pill or put more insulin in my body. I cannot wait to have this surgery and possibly not be a diabetic anymore.

funkyphillygirl
on 6/10/13 6:33 am

It's for your safety, honestly.  I know it's frustrating, but you will have difficulty in the healing process if you don't get it down a bit.  Keep working at it.  And know that not everyone is cured by the surgery, so just keep your expectations reasonable. 

Best of luck!

mokee
on 6/11/13 8:58 pm - OH

I had the sleeve 7 months ago.  Am down 71 lbs.  went from 150 units of insulin 4 times a day to 30 at night.   It has improved quite a bit.    I am older though and was on insulin for 2 years.  My endo still thinks I can get off with more weight loss.   But with being on insulin it is harder to lose.  What surgery are you all considering?   Sugar goes way down on the 2 week liquid diet so I don't know why they are waiting for A1C ti improve. 

VSG  12-28-2012

bostonlass
on 6/20/13 10:14 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13
I am on the lantus oen and only recently found out that it slows the weightloss process. Thats a bummer.
Maggie May
on 8/16/13 9:51 pm
RNY on 08/21/13

It's true that the insulin makes it difficult to lose weight. The high blood sugar response and need for insulin is a vicious cycle and the insulin converts sugars directly to fat. :(

Maggie May 

bostonlass
on 6/20/13 5:55 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13

Do you know what the cut off is that the surgeons use? For example my blood test just came back and my A1C is at 8.5.  Do they have a set figure they are looking for in order to be able to do the surgery or is it just that it needs to be at the normal level. Because if it has to be normal that counts me out since that's the whole reason I'm doing this.

chipmunk_roasting
on 11/20/13 5:02 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

I'm in Ottawa, Canada -- my A1C had to be below 7.0 or they would not perform the surgery.

The last three months prior to surgery I was on mealtime insulin and long lasting Lantus overnight, plus three different medications.   The mealtime insulin was necessary to get that A1C in line, as I was running at about 8.4.     I hated it, and put on 24 pounds in those three months.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

lnettles1963
on 6/20/13 6:21 am
VSG on 07/12/13

I take Victoza and Glucophage to lower my sugar and A1C with not a lot of success.

Once I cut out the "white" stuff (sugar, flour, potatoes, etc) mine went down a lot. Started drinking 2 proteins shakes a day and was able to keep it down. My surgery is scheduled for July 12th.

Good Luck to you!!!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 147 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 475 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 816 views