diabetic neuropathy

bostonlass
on 6/17/13 11:02 am - MA
VSG on 08/27/13
I know that having the sleeve or the bypass surgery might eliminate diabetes type2 but does the burning feet neuropathy go away too? I have it so bad in pain 24/7 with it.
Maggie May
on 8/16/13 9:43 pm
RNY on 08/21/13

The sleeve is not nearly as effective with diabetes as the bypass. The sleeve is  restrictive while the bypass is restrictive AND malabsorbtive which makes a difference in how it will affect diabetes. The bypass has a 95% success rate in curing diabetes. With that said, neither surgery will fix or cure the diabetic peripheral neuropathy damage caused by previous diabetes. It will prevent it from getting worse but won't cure or fix it. Your pain may be lessened however by not weighing as much and for the inflammation, I suggest getting off of wheat.  I too am in pain with it in my feed and it has also moved to my hands and fingertips. I am having the bypass in 4 days. I wish I had it many years ago.

Maggie May 

(deactivated member)
on 8/21/13 9:01 pm

My grandfather also has diabetic neuropathy, he just got to know about 7 months ago. His feet would burn, but now he is alright, he regularly massages with some oil, and the burning sensation cessed. i will reply you again about what oil he uses on the feet.

marissasmith1987
on 9/4/13 7:15 pm - troy, NY
RNY on 01/13/14

I dont know if the burning and pain numbness gose away but it helps your blood sugars which will help it from getting worse i too have neuropathy and im on lyrica it works great for me

bulldog76ss
on 9/10/13 3:40 am - OH

I have had neuropathy in my feet for almost 8 years now.  The severe spikes and bees are mostly gone.  I still have a bout now and then.  I believe that I controlled them by eliminating the large swings in my blood sugar readings.  I still however have no feeling in my feet from the ankles down and have balance problems.  I am having WLS hopefully in November.  I am hoping that the reduced weight will further improve my balance issue along with other pain in the joints.  I remember the time I had severe pain for 24/7 and hope you can get through it.  There was a time when the pain was so great and relentless that I wondered if I would make it.  No drug would help.  Good Luck!

chipmunk_roasting
on 11/20/13 4:54 am - Ottawa, ON, Canada

I'm only ten months post op, so things may change, but for me, no, the diabetic neuropathy, including pain, burning and numbness has not gone away.  It's always difficult to describe pain in a numb area, yet that's the way it manifests for me.

I'm 64 and have had diagnosed diabetes for 15 years (I suspect undiagnosed for much longer than that).

I'm on generic Lyrica for the pain, and that helps me enormously.

mmm

Referral - March 2011 // Orientation - Ottawa - July 8, 2011 // Surgery - January 23, 2013

specklepark
on 1/19/14 2:49 pm - Minburn, Canada
RNY on 01/29/14

I am having RNYGB in 9 days and am hoping that it will halt the progression of neuropathy.  I have severe periheral neuropathy in my feet and hands, also have gastroparesis.  I have used Nuerontin and Lyrica for the pain and it does help.  I have also used many different creams on my feet, try to keep your skin in as good a condition as possible.  I also have done accupuncture/accupressure and reflexology on my feet- all of these help.  Good luck.

specklepark
on 4/10/14 9:38 am - Minburn, Canada
RNY on 01/29/14

Update- 3 months post op- my neuropathy has gone from total numbness to extreme pain now...back to the electric shocks, burning pain, stabbing pain and I have much improved filament testing!  However, I now have worsening of temperature testing- can't tell the difference at all from hot to cold.  My diabetes is much better than pre-surgery but not normal yet, still on insulin and Metformin.  I doubt I will get off meds totally as my diabetes is long standing and was severe.  Didn't expect ot get this much change in the neuropathy though, kinda thought it might improve my numbness but not to the point where it hurts again.  I guess I should be  happy that it seems to be reversing, maybe other diabetic complications I have are doing the same thing!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views