WLS to get diabetes back in control

ebonymc
on 11/25/15 8:03 pm

Hello! Has anyone struggled or are struggling with diabetes and contemplating WLS to help get control of your diabetes?  My weight is now 213 and my Dr. feels that losing 65lbs should put my diabetes into remission and allow me to control it from there. I just don't think that I could do that quickly enough through WW as he suggest. My band was removed a year ago and I've only gained back 10 lbs since then. I really do try at times but it's too hard for me. Please respond if it helped you or not. My next appointment with him is in 3 weeks.  As scared as I am, I am ready to set my date and just hope that it's not too late.

SDenae
on 11/28/15 12:01 am, edited 11/27/15 4:00 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

I am a diabetic who was taking Metformin, Farxiga, and Levemir (insulin) daily before surgery. The day I had my sleeve surgery, my doc took me off of the Metformin and Farxiga and cut my Levemir in half. I'm 9 weeks out now and I only use the Levemir when my sugars are high first thing in the morning. That's happening once or twice a week now. I think it's because I'm dipping too low at night and my body is over-correcting. I'm thinking about having 15g of carb before bedtime.

For reference, my A1c in July was 8.6 and my A1c on 10/13 (not even a month after surgery) was 6.8. I'd say it helped.

Also, I started my WLC's clinic in Feb and my A1c was 10.5 back then. Just losing the weight helps a lot.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

ebonymc
on 11/28/15 9:52 pm
On November 28, 2015 at 8:01 AM Pacific Time, SDenae wrote:

I am a diabetic who was taking Metformin, Farxiga, and Levemir (insulin) daily before surgery. The day I had my sleeve surgery, my doc took me off of the Metformin and Farxiga and cut my Levemir in half. I'm 9 weeks out now and I only use the Levemir when my sugars are high first thing in the morning. That's happening once or twice a week now. I think it's because I'm dipping too low at night and my body is over-correcting. I'm thinking about having 15g of carb before bedtime.

For reference, my A1c in July was 8.6 and my A1c on 10/13 (not even a month after surgery) was 6.8. I'd say it helped.

Also, I started my WLC's clinic in Feb and my A1c was 10.5 back then. Just losing the weight helps a lot.

Thanks, I really needed to hear that.  My A1C is 10.5 right now.  It helps to know that the sleeve could also put me into remission, I'm so afraid of living with acid reflux. I know how bad it was with the band.

SDenae
on 11/28/15 11:26 pm - Greenwood, IN
VSG on 09/23/15

I've heard that acid reflux is a common side effect of the sleeve surgery. I had it and was taking medication for it before the surgery, so it's not been a big issue for me. I still take the same meds as before and it's still working just fine. I am fine with taking that medicine for the rest of my life if I need to, was probably going to have to anyway. Very small price to pay for potentially having a longer, healthier life.

Age: 40 | Height: 5'3" | HW: 245 | Program Start: 231 | SW: 208.5 | CW: 148.2 | GW: 130
M1: 15 M2: 15 M3: 6.7 M4: 10 M5: 6.6 M6: 3.3

^ Total weight lost
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

ebonymc
on 11/29/15 6:34 pm

Yes, It is a small price to pay for a healthier life.  I'm glad you said that b/c I was thinking that earlier today. I would really push to have this surgery tomorrow if possible and I felt that medicine would control the reflux. That's why I'm asking for those who've had the sleeve about acid reflux. But yes, I would rather have that than to suffer serious complications from diabetes.

Ifoundmywhy
on 1/11/16 8:31 am

I was diabetic, with an A1C of 9 when I went in for my RNY. I was taking 100mg Glucophage twice a day, and Lantus at night. The MORNING after my surgery, my fasting was 96. I have never looked back. The highest fasting I have gotten was 116. I am not taking ANY meds for my diabetes. I was told that the gold standard for controlled diabetes was RNY, so I went that route. I too was 216 when I started and 213 the day of surgery. I am about 2 months out and have lost 32 pounds. Go for it!

ebonymc
on 1/12/16 7:41 pm

Your reply is a god send to me. I was told by the nurse that I would be super skinny if I went that route. I know that having RNY would be better for diabetes, and it really should be my only concern right now. She really stressed me out by saying that. I'm so happy to hear that someone has gotten control of their diabetes. I told my Dr. maybe the sleeve, but I will discuss it again with him in 2 weeks. BTW I was put on insulin last week and only took it 2 nights. I felt as if it made me feel a little racy. I will be re-evaluated this week for something else.

Ifoundmywhy
on 1/13/16 7:55 am

Well my surgeon told me that something happens with the deuodenum and the hormones it releases during digestion, and bypassing it would put my diabetes in remission. He's been doing RNY for 30+ years.. So I had to trust in him. I initially went in for the sleeve and I am SO glad I went the other route!! 

ebonymc
on 1/13/16 8:00 pm

my original Dr. did say that with RNY, He would be by-passing the part of the stomach that would be causing the diabetes.  In my earlier post when I said I'll be re-evaluated for something else, I'm meaning for some other blood sugar medication. I just don't want to be on any of it.

NANNY13
on 4/17/16 7:29 pm
WLS on 12/21/15

I had the RNY on 12/21/2015. The biggest motivation for me was the possibility of getting off my medications. My DR. took me off the metformin and Bydureon prior to surgery and I have had no issues since. It is like my body never remembered it used to have it. I feel amazing. I have my life back. The only regret if you can even call it that is that I did not have it done sooner!

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 157 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 484 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 825 views