Type 1 and I'm STARVING

FLFattie
on 7/10/17 9:58 am

Hi. I'm new here. Started my pre-sleeve diet and I'm a type 1 diabetic on an insulin pump. I've been pretty good at reducing my carbs, but because of the insulin I'm constantly hungry. Any suggestions?

Donna E.
on 7/11/17 3:37 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12

No suggestions but welcome. I am also type 1 on a pump and CGM. Type 1 since I was three years of age ?

FLFattie
on 7/12/17 10:03 am

Hi. Have you had your surgery yet? I'm really struggling with losing the weight before surgery. Doing lots of protein, but just can't stop the hunger and cravings for carbs. I'm 46 and have been Type 1 since I was 12.

Donna E.
on 7/12/17 4:40 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12

I had my surgery 5 years ago this August. I would suggest you bring some insulin and needles. I was not on a pump when I had my surgery and I had to fight for a few units of insulin! I was the first type 1 who had the surgery ar my hospital. So many type 2 out there and the hospital staff kept telling me I may not need insulin any more! Really??

I have lost 105 lbs with in the first year and have been maintaining ever since.

Any questions feel free to ask. I am in Canada.

FLFattie
on 7/13/17 6:32 am

Thanks so much for sharing. I will keep you in mind for sure with questions. I'm really afraid of having a lot of low blood sugars after surgery and not being able to treat them as I normally do by chugging juice down. Have an Endo apt next week and will discuss things with them then.

Donna E.
on 7/13/17 12:52 pm - Richmond Hill, Canada
RNY on 08/16/12

I was scared of the same thing! I have a juice box and a small snack no problems now. The first few months after surgery I was eating so little and was taking very little insulin so had no probkems with lows.

funkyphillygirl
on 9/11/17 11:01 am

Hi all:

I'm so wishing I'd found you before my gastric bypass 6 years ago tomorrow! There was NO ONE that was T1 on here at all. I was doing MDI without pump or CGM, although I use both of those things now. I too had the same fears about going low and not being able to treat it.

First, my endo and surgeon did NOT make me do any kind of special diet before surgery and I was not asked to do any fasting just prior. My medical team knew that it would be particularly hard to manage that with insulin, so fortunately, I did not have to endure that.

Next, my endo and surgeon also agreed that I should cut my insulin and prepare to run a bit higher over the weeks when I could not really eat. I had a glucagon kit around, but never needed it. I found it a bit more challenging to keep my blood sugar in a good range because I was "eating" (well protein shakes) more frequently and that just doesn't work well with insulin administration. But, I did fine. I did not have any hypoglycemia as a result, but I sure did work very closely with my amazing endo in the weeks after surgery.

As I mentioned, tomorrow is 6 years for me. I've done well, considering that I am a T1 and still using insulin. My high blood pressure and high cholesterol vanished. My insulin needs are much less now and I'm in very good health. 31 years as a T1 and no complications - thank goodness....feel great.

I lost almost 100 pounds as result of the surgery in the first year. I had about a 12-15 pound weight rebound, which was completely expected. I'm still at the edge of the obese range, but SO much better off now than prior to surgery.

I wish you all well and would be happy to be resource to anyone who is T1 and has questions. I truly could find NO ONE 6 years ago who was T1 and doing the surgery, so you all inspire me.

Keep the faith...

Terry

FLFattie
on 9/14/17 12:23 pm

Hi Terry,

Wow, you are so lucky that you didn't have to do any pre-op dieting. I've been getting barely any carbs since May, fell off the wagon a few times, but got right back on. I was scheduled to have surgery this coming October 6th and just was told this morning because I didn't comply to the 30 day pre-op diet of 30g carb/day that I would have to reschedule. I live in FL and just went through Irma this past weekend and yes, my nerves and hunger got to me because my adrenaline was pumping. I went to my apt this morning and told them that I had had ice cream and some bread, they cancelled me on the spot! I was devastated! I don't think anyone really understands what it's like to be a type 1. Sure, I can reschedule for next month but juggling my work and family schedule is going to be so difficult.

I'm so glad that you wrote on here. I'm always looking for other Type I's who "get it". Just wish there were more.

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 153 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 822 views