?? Healing ??

dorothy1110
on 10/22/17 5:34 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

Do to being diabetic did anyone have trouble healing? All my incision healed in no time of all except my largest incision. My blood sugars are not higher than 140. Most of the time it's below 100. My largest incision was almost healed and then started draining. Has anyone else dealt with this? I had surgery this past Friday to have them clean up the infection and put a drain in. I read online that diabetics even with sugar under control can have slow healing. Just wondering how many have had this issue or something like that?

Judith G.
on 12/1/17 1:54 pm

Hi there, I'm diabetic too. After I had been home for about one week my largest incision started draining a lot. It looked like pus. A few days later it turned green and smelled horrible. I went into the surgeon's office that week. They packed the incision and told me to come back the next week. I also had an appointment previously scheduled and had him look at it. He put me on a strong antibiotic. I scheduled to see him the next week as well. The surgeon's nurse told me it was "normal" and "happens a lot". I didn't believe her. I was in so much pain that I had to continue taking oxycodone. I was in pain for 4 weeks post-op. My incision is getting better at 6 weeks post-op but I'm re-packing it every day and it hasn't yet healed. I researched and read that there's a 10-15% possibility of this happening. So, obviously "all the time"vs. 10-15% doesn't mesh. Perhaps it's because of the diabetes...

dorothy1110
on 12/3/17 6:26 pm
RNY on 09/06/17

Diabetes makes us heal slowly. Thats why we got infections. My is packed everyday by a nurse who vists me.

Close to healing.

dorothy1110
on 12/22/17 5:33 am
RNY on 09/06/17

My incision finally is healed. It took mine 12 weeks to heal. Good Luck

Arabella45354321
on 1/3/18 7:20 am

I would like to share with you the following articles about diabetes:

1. Spider's web inspires removable implant that may control type 1 diabetes - http://www.ard-ng.org/2018/01/03/spiders-web-inspires-remova ble-implant-that-may-control-type-1-diabetes/

2. Pain-free skin patch responds to sugar levels for management of type 2 diabetes - http://www.ard-ng.org/2017/12/28/pain-free-skin-patch-respon ds-to-sugar-levels-for-management-of-type-2-diabetes/

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 823 views