Want sugar

jfak7670
on 1/21/20 2:04 am

Hi guys! My grandmother has diabetes and she always has a strong desire to eat sugar, what's strange because she has never loved sweets or chocolate before diabetes and always treated them with indifference. Why is that and how can I stop her from begging chocolate?

HannahClark
on 1/27/23 4:34 am

danialmarkun
on 3/24/23 10:46 am

I know this thread is old, but if anyone is facing the same problem, here are my thoughts. I've had type 1 diabetes for 10 years, and my biggest cravings are during hormonal changes (mostly before and during my period.) Sometimes the cravings come out of nowhere, no matter what my blood sugar is.

Before that, I ate all the sweets I could find at home, which meant that I had to take 15 more units of insulin than I normally took. And that then led to weight gain. I read someone (or heard, I don't remember) that fiber helps to fill you up and reduces sweet cravings, so I started taking fiber supplements, and it helped quite a bit. I also started eating more pastries. I don't know what kind of bread is in the US, but here in Europe, dark bread with a high percentage of fiber is common, and that made me full, and I didn't have any sweet cravings.

I know it's hard to control cravings, especially when your blood sugar is high, but there are ways to curb those cravings. So, I recommend increasing your fiber intake and drinking a lot of water.

Author of the weight loss affirmations e-book & type 1 diabetic. "You didn't gain all your weight in one day; you won't lose it in one day. Be patient with yourself."

Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 154 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 482 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 823 views