Anyone with liver problems from diabetes???

Carol P.
on 1/27/05 10:16 pm - Oxford, AL
My dad had WLS in October of 2003 after being a diabetic with high blood pressure for years. He was in the hospital almost the whole summer of 2003 with his sugar out of control. He ended up having to be "opened" during his WLS because his liver was in such bad shape from his diabetes. He Dr. almost didnt do the surgery at all when he saw his liver, but knew he wouldnt be alive today if he didnt have it done. He had some problems after his WLS, mainly stemming from his out of control diabetes/liver. Since then, his blood sugar has been fine and he hasnt needed his insulin or blood pressure meds. He had a huge hernia in his tummy and had it repaired in October 2004. Since then, he has had to have a drain on and off for excess fluid stemming from his liver. We were told that there is fluid pooling around an area of the mesh used in his hernia repair. He has had drains removed, put back in, moved, etc. His Dr. doesnt want to leave it in because of the risk of infection. He now wants to go back in lap and try to remove that pocket of fluid and repair the mesh so that the fluid wont pool back. If anyone has had any experience with this type of problem, I would love to hear from you. Im just scared to death that he is going to get an infection or something worse. My mother and I have been online looking up websites about liver problems, etc, but we would love to hear if anyone has had anything similar to this problem. Thank you in advance for any help.
BINK13
on 4/3/06 10:41 pm - TULSA, OK
My friend has had the exact situation. In and out of the hospital, mesh on and off and on again. Drains on and off. I hope your dad gets well. Hang on, things get better. Just be sure he takes care of himself 100 percent! Especially the sugar situation. My prayers are with you. Carol Spain
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 147 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 475 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 816 views