Type I and Lapband?

Nancy K.
on 4/4/05 6:00 am - Waterford, CT
Hi all, I am trying to find a type I diabetic who has had lapband surgery. I have been reading everyone's posts who have had RNY but have yet to run across anybody who has Type I and had the Lap Band surgery. I can't decide what to do - my endo would prefer I do nothing, he says not enough studies done on Type I and WLS. I would love to "chat" with you if you have had Lap Band and are a Type I diabetic! Thanks! Nancy K
Donna B.
on 4/6/05 7:54 am - Pell City, AL
Hi Nancy, I had Lap Band surgery on Nov.30,2004. I am a Type 1 diabetic (with the complications of diabetes such as eye problems, neuropathy, and even a kidney transplant). I have had NO complications whatsoever from my surgery. It is true that there is not a lot of research done on WLS and Type 1 diabetics (in fact I was the first type 1 diabetic my surgeon has done, his first kidney transplant pt, and his VERY FIRST Lap Band patient). You just have to remember that with Type 1 diabetes, it will never go away but your need for insulin will decrease. I am sorry I am so late in responding.....just found your post today. If I can be of help, just email me!! Good Luck... Donna
SJWendy
on 4/6/05 11:50 am - Swedesboro, NJ
Hi, I went thru the same seach a year ago because I'm also Type 1 diabetic and tried to find input on RNY and only found a handful of post ops. I had my surgery alittle over a year ago, no complications and my insulin levels were reduced in half. I'm on a pump and was using about 125 units pre-op, now I average about 45-60 a day. My blood sugar goes low alot now, so I have to be careful,but overall, I'm doing great...down 100 lbs and off all my meds, except my synthroid...which is a starting to be a problem due to the malabsorption. Good luck with your search for PO's with Lap Band...feel free to e-mail if you want to chat. Wendy 3/15/04 275/177/140
Most Active
Recent Topics
Dry Mouth Substitute
Kayla_Davis1 · 1 replies · 147 views
Leg Stent, T1 Diabetes
AW · 0 replies · 475 views
Want sugar
jfak7670 · 2 replies · 816 views