Dairy Queen is Evil

Julie R.
on 5/25/08 1:03 pm - Ludington, MI
I have only had ice cream three times since my DS, and each and every time, I've had a tough time with it from a digestive standpoint.     I don't know why on earth I decided to do this today, but I took my choir students to Dairy Queen after they performed at my church.    I ordered a small Blizzard.   Guys and Gals, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER in my life have I had such terrible gas!!!   Within fifteen minutes of finishing the Blizzard, my stomach bloated up to about the size of a seven months pregnant belly.    That was after having taken two Beano before eating it!!    I tried gas-x, activated charcoal, everything.  It was rock hard.   I could not even sit up, I went to a friend's house and laid on his living room floor in agony.    Then the diarrhea set in.    Oh my GOD.   I finally was able to get in the car and drive home, and I haven't stopped farting since.  What do they put in that stuff to make it do this????   I've had some pretty severe gas attacks because I'm so white flour intolerant, and nothing has every compared to this!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

AttyDallas
on 5/25/08 1:36 pm, edited 5/25/08 1:37 pm - Garland, TX
Have you become lactose intolerant since surgery?   Many DSers have ...   Also, I have heard that some ice cream places use a cheap filler or sub in their ice cream, usually "soft serve" type, which, IIRC, is casein.  Casein is a form of edible "glue", technically.  I notice that cheap ice cream seems to give me gas and bloating much worse than a quality brand of ice cream, such as Haggen Daaz (sp. ?) or Ben & Jerry's ..  I often wonder if that is due to casein in the cheaper stuff ..   (btw, it is also used in some cheap cheeses, like imitation mozzarella)  
attydallas_dblcentury.jpg picture by cmirving 

Julie R.
on 5/25/08 1:55 pm - Ludington, MI
Yes, I'm quite lactose intolerant since the surgery - and I'm sure that had a lot to do with it!   I've had a small amount of full fat ice cream without terrible problems, but it was Coldstone Cremery and Dairy Queen so far that just tore me up.   Wonder if it is that casein too!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

BuckeyeSylvia
on 5/25/08 2:06 pm, edited 5/25/08 2:09 pm - Small Town, OH
Whew...I was wondering what was going on!  You poor thing!  I guess the good thing is that at least you're aware of what sets you off now. For me, I had a butterfinger blizzard with added peanut butter syrup this weekend and it went down (and stayed in) without any problem.  But, I'm not lactose intolerant so I'm sure that's where the difference lies. As for the evil...for me, it's White Castle!

HW/SW/CW/GW    231/225/123/130-125
~Surgeon's Goal of Normal BMI reached at 6 months Post Op~
~Personal Goal Range achieved at less than 10 months Post Op~

AttyDallas
on 5/25/08 2:42 pm - Garland, TX
I miss my WC from back in K.C. (for some reason, they never made it down to the South)  :;sigh::       Those ones they sell in the freezer case here just aren't the same as those tasty little greasy sliders served up hot and fresh! 
attydallas_dblcentury.jpg picture by cmirving 

Rotten Ronni
on 5/25/08 10:43 pm - DFW, TX
We have a Krystal's in Denton. I believe they are sister companies.

Steph anie
on 5/25/08 11:36 pm - Denton, TX
The Denton one just closed down. I think the only one left is in Carrollton.

HW 318/ SW 308/ CW 116/ GW 125 (updated 11/11/09)

Follow my journey at:  http://savoringmyjourney.wordpress.com/

Get all the facts at www.DSfacts.com.  

Century Club 03/27/09    Onderland 04/15/09 Goal Met: 02/26/10

m.espoir
on 5/25/08 2:11 pm, edited 5/25/08 2:12 pm - NJ
Wait! I am not nor have I become lactose intolerant, and the damned stuff does the SAME thing to me!!! OH MY GOD. I called it the rocket-fire night. I might have well have just slept sitting on the toilet. We went to the boardwalk tonight, my son got a Dairy Queen and I said NO THANKS!!! Ughhh, didnt want to go thru that again. Wendys did it to me too. However, the more expensive more fattening ice creams like ColdStone and Ben & Jerrys dont really have a horrible effect on me!!!
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135
(5ft.2in.)

Diana N.
on 5/25/08 10:34 pm - Mechanicsburg, PA
Hey...we went to the boardwalk today too!  But I didn't dare have any DQ...actually really didn't eat all that much...which one did you visit?
baby development pregnancy calendar
m.espoir
on 5/26/08 11:59 am - NJ
--we were in Ocean city NJ!!
"Don't expect.......Suggest." ......–The Edge
Lap Band 2/26/03---lost 80 pounds!
FAILED (Erosion/emergency removal) 4/4/07, Gained ALL weight back 8/29/07 
Approved for DS 10/09/07

DS performed successfully 10/29/07
1st Hernia repair and vertical TT 1/15/09
2nd Hernia repair and small vertical TT 12/27/2010
HW  SW   CW   GW       240 225 159 135