2 yrs post op and cholesterol is really high.. anyone else?

Dutchy
on 6/22/09 7:19 am - stittsville, Canada
Hey my DS family.

Long time no post.. that must mean things are good .. up until now.

Before my DS i had high cholesterol ... after surgery i went off Lipitor as per Dr L's recommendations, then again 6 months later i tested high again and went back on... Dr L said no get off of Lipitor so i did.

Well back and forth a few times i was off Lipitor for about a year and my doctor called me very concerned that my cholesterol is very high.

My question to you is... anyone here on cholesterol meds after there DS?

I know my family history has high cholesterol so i might of just inherited the bad gene, just curious is all.

Thanks

Kerry

KRWaters
on 6/22/09 9:04 am - Manteca, CA
Hi Kerry, I am still early out (one month), but I am still on diabetes med.  My cholesterol I don't  know yet; need to get blood work, but my blood pressure is very good. I do hope to get off diabetes med, metformin, very soon. Hope y our cholesterol goes down.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

mellysarah03
on 6/22/09 9:49 am - Fort Myers, FL
I was not on any cholesterol meds pre-op because my cholesteral was just "borderline" High @ exactly 200. My colesterol @ 5mos labs went right down to 125 and I eat VERY high fat content food. So yours may not be just weight and food related. There is such a thing as high cholesterol "Heredity". Yours may just be that.

I used to make excuses why I cant Now I make reasons why I CAN!!
155LBS GONE FOREVER!! LIVING LIFE... I LOVE MY DS

BuckeyeSylvia
on 6/22/09 3:17 pm - Small Town, OH
My DS surgeon told me that since there was such a high instance of high cholesterol in my family (my 95lb mother has high cholesterol and has had 5 heart attacks...the first at age 41) that I should not expect it to go down with my DS. He said it would be a plus, but not to expect it to decrease. Fortunately, mine did go down drastically (270s to 150s). However, he has warned me that it might also go up again due to heritary issues that were not controlled by diet. So, those meds MIGHT be in my future too. I'm sure it's not unheard of with the DS for those of us with those heritary issues.

HW/SW/CW/GW    231/225/123/130-125
~Surgeon's Goal of Normal BMI reached at 6 months Post Op~
~Personal Goal Range achieved at less than 10 months Post Op~

zabs
on 6/22/09 10:11 pm
this is going to be all kinds of conjecture and second handedness, but my ILs have a horrible time with cholesterol.  My SIL eats like 100% fat free and no red meat, etc, and still has sky high cholesterol.  According to what her docs have told her, that kind of heridity based high cholesterol isn't affected much by diet.  Its just how your body choses to store what it takes in and there isn't much you can do about it besides go on meds.  This is apparently a new body of thought that docs are considering.  Kind of like obesity where it was always blame the patient, I guess they are now deciding that some of these people are telling the truth about their diet.

I think an average person can change their cholesterol with diet, but there is a small group who are screwed no matter what they do in regards to diet.

HTH and sorry that you have to deal with that.  I know how frustrated my SIL is.  And shes a little stick thin thing who watches every morsel that goes in her mouth.
Started researching the DS in Dec 2008.  2 years and one baby later(my 3rd), I'm finally switched!

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 134 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 674 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 236 views