Anyone Else Had A Colonoscopy Since DS

Christine X.
on 9/10/09 1:30 am, edited 9/10/09 1:47 am - TX
Okay, since I turned the big five O, my pcp sent me to have a colonoscopy. I took a print out of the DS intestines for my Gastro-whatsamacallit-ogist to have in my file. Of course, he was curious about the surgery so we had a talk. He was fascinated.

I did the 'Moviprep' on Tuesday evening (2 liters of really gross tasting fun) but didn't have much poo out put Tuesday night or Wednesday morning, which didn't alarm me as I had nothing but clear liquids from Monday midnight until Wednesday's test.

Well, Wednesday at 9:00 am when they did the test, I had lots of "stools" still in my colon. The doctor questioned if I did the prep, which I did, I SWEAR. He said maybe it didn't work as anticipated because of my DS. I don't know if that makes any difference. Does it?

Well the 'Moviprep' kicked back in Wednesday afternoon (I'm guessing) and I finished cleaning out. Maybe. Or maybe it was the 2 eggs, 2 pieces of bacon and stack of 4 pancakes with butter and syrup I ate right after the procedure at noon. I was starving.

So my question is, does our DS intestinal structure make a difference in how we need to prep for such procedures? Or do I have some kind of blockage in there???? I don't have pain.  Really no problems of any kind except a pissed off butt doctor.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch

lavatera
on 9/10/09 1:52 am
I have had TWO unsuccessful cholonoscopies.  It seems many of us can never completely empty our intestines.  My gastro dr. told me he has seen it time and time again with DSer's.  The second one I had, I had actually fasted for 2 days prior to the test - nothing but clear fluids.  He was able to go further up but was not able to complete the test.
Maureen Ganz   
"Where flowers bloom...so does hope."
DS 7-19-2005
Christine X.
on 9/10/09 1:56 am - TX
Wow, that is really interesting. I told him I would much rather do the cleaning from the 'other end' than drink that stuff again. Thanks for the input.

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/09 3:10 am - TN
Very interesting and timely. I'll be 50 in Dec so I'll be getting my first colonoscopy soon. Guess I'll fast for it!
Christine X.
on 9/10/09 3:37 am - TX
It reallyis interesting. I'd like to get some more information on this so I'm going to be doing some research. I must have the procedure again in 2 years as he couldn't get a 'clear' picture this time and removed one polyp in what he was able to examine.

I plan to live a very long time, so I need to know how to prepare my beloved colon for this test AND it is an interesting fact that some of us may have issues completely clearing our colons.

Dutchy
on 9/10/09 3:34 am - stittsville, Canada
Hi there,

I just had one done two weeks ago and it was successfull even though very painful the prep worked its magic, i did a two step prep once at 8am and again at 2pm now the morning prep worked great, but the second prep i had barely anything left.

The surgeon said it was all good and my colon is nice :) still doesn't explain why i am still constipated and have been since the beginning of my DS.

Funny i used to have ibs and would go several times a day, now that i had the ds i am lucky if i go twice a week and most of the time i need help to do that.

Oh well at least my colon is in fine shape ...lol
Kerry

Christine X.
on 9/10/09 3:40 am - TX
Timing may have been part of my issue. I did a clear liquid diet but didn't do the prep stuff until 6 pm on Tuesday and again at 9 pm (per doctor's instructions). I may need to start it much earlier on the day before. Thanks for sharing.

sarah141
on 9/10/09 5:39 am - Fort Bragg, CA
I had to have one about 6 months after my DS. I explained everything to the Dr. prior to the procedure & told him there was no way I could drink that much fluid in the amount of time alotted.  He gave me a prescription for some pills - they worked very, very well.   There shouldn't be any issues with a colonoscopy, as our colons aren't touched during our DS and the scope doesn't go far enough up the intestines to "see" where any re-routing may be.
 - Sarah    (Don't tell anyone I'm a secret ninja warrior!)
Visit: ThugRadio.Net, twitter.com/ThugRadio, sarah-anderson.artistwebsites.com/

Christine X.
on 9/10/09 12:57 pm - TX
I think there is an issue with the laxative liquid used and the timing of the use of the liquid. I realize the colon isn't touched and the doctor doesn't see the re-routing. But my 50 cm common channel does affect what digestive state the food is in when it goes into my colon. The liquid 'Moviprep' isn't made to work with food in the phase of digestion it was in my intestines. So a longer fasting period is what is going to be needed for me to have a cleared out system, followed by the 'Moviprep' to clean out those last little bits. Those 120 grams of protein and the other 2000 calories I eat a day are not clearing out easily.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 291 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 763 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 254 views