Gritty ricotta problem SOLVED!!!

Mola
on 1/11/10 7:56 am, edited 1/12/10 9:59 pm - WA

So, I'm one of those people who just can't stand the texture of ricotta. I really enjoy the taste of Val's Fluff, but the texture simply puts me off. So, I read somewhere about how fresh ricotta is not gritty and is easy to make. I tried it and the texture of the Fluff is like buttah! I have to hide the stuff so my DH won't eat it all.

Homemade Ricotta

1 half gallon whole milk
1 cup heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

Prepare a large strainer over a large bowl. Line the strainer with fine cheese cloth. (I used a flour sack type tea towel.)
Pour milk, cream and salt into a large, heavy pan.
Slowly bring to a rolling boil, stirring occasionally to prevent scorching.
Reduce heat to simmer and stir in lemon juice.
Continue stirring until milk curdles. (About 2 minutes.)
Pour the curdled milk and whey into the strainer and allow to drain for 1 hour. Refrigerate.
Yield: 2 Cups

I made the Fluff the next day and it was awesome. However, it took a lot of mixing because the cheese has solidified really well. Next time, I will make the Fluff before refrigerating because the ricotta is still very soft and will mix much more easily. This stuff was actually really tasty to just snack on by itself, too.

I'm going to try to make fresh mozzarella, too.

ETA: A couple of details in the recipe. Time to curdle and yield.

Wag more, bark less.

pycca
on 1/11/10 8:05 am - Haslet, TX
I commend you!!  but you have a WHOLE lot more energy than I do !!!  

Course I am only 4 weeks out now too!  LOL

krissywats
on 1/11/10 8:16 am - Kew Gardens, NY
That's is a GREAT idea.  I've actually made fresh ricotta and fresh mozzarella before and it never occurred to me to do this.  Thanks!

(FYI, instead of ricotta I have used cottage cheese whipped in a food processor to make it smooth for Val's recipe and it's quite tasty too)

7/19/09 - DS with Dr. Alfons Pomp
7/11/12 -  tummy tuck, UBL, larg lipo sculpting of torso, lipo of "buffalo hump" with Dr. Sauceda
Renfairewench
on 1/11/10 11:21 am
In case you don't have time to make your own homemade ricotta, Sorrento mades a Velvety smooth ricotta. Absolutely ZERO grain and it's really good.

HW (pre RNY) 430 HW (pre DS) 302 / SW 288 /
                          Lowest weight 157 / CW 161
GW 150
                "I'm just one stomach flu away from my goal weight"

Former Elizabeth
on 1/11/10 11:40 am
I might try that.   I've made regular cheese back in my old hippie days.   I thought ricotta was twice-cooked cheese.   I guess because ricotta means twice cooked in Italian.   I guess I thought you took the whey from making some other kind of cheese and cooked it until it became ricotta.  

This really sounds good this way - I can't wait to try the fluff with smoother ricotta.   I have a Kitchenaid mixer, so I end up with a nice smooth fluff anyway.   That mixer makes all the difference!   I really make some sinful fluff by whipping up some cream first and then folding the whipped cream into the fluff.   That's just way too good - it can't be good even for a DSer.   I'll only do that every once in a great while.

Dennie

"It's so beautifully arranged on the plate - you know someone's fingers have been all over it. ~Julia Child"

Amy Farrah Fowler
on 1/11/10 2:55 pm
Oh, now that DOES sound good! I had bookmarked "Val's ricotta fluff", now I'm going to have a new recipe called Dennie's SINFUL fluff  !

There are only two kinds of food - one that is improved with bacon, or one that is improved with whipped cream. They all fall into those 2 categories.
thin4me
on 1/11/10 11:56 am - WI
This the Ricotta I buy:

http://www.belgioioso.com/RicottaConLatte.htm

BelGioioso Ricotta con Latte® 75 has a creamier texture and is perfect for cheesecakes and desserts or other fresh applications.

Made with whole milk, this fresh cheese has a mild, clean flavor and creamy texture with just a hint of sweetness. Ricotta con Latte® 75 Smooth Texture is an indulgent and creamy version for fresh applications

Awards

2009 - World Cheese Awards (1st Place) Gold Award

Ingredients

Pasteurized whey and milk, vinegar, salt.

5' 5.5" female
125 common channel
GW   /   CW  /   SW  / HW 
135  /149.6 / 287  / 300
"Life is like a jar of jalapenos. 
 What you do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Mdae
on 1/11/10 12:44 pm
sounds good - bookmarked, thanks!

Kathy H.
on 1/11/10 1:22 pm - Kent, WA
Sounds delish, and I might try this at some point.

I get grain-free ricotta by tossing the cheese and some half-n-half in the blender.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Have you considered the Duodenal Switch? Information is power.

Mola
on 1/12/10 9:58 pm - WA
I tried that and still had enough texture to turn me off.

Wag more, bark less.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 121 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 663 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views