For those of us who never got to goal, how are you doing?

Dutchy
on 1/18/10 10:46 pm - stittsville, Canada
Hey all,

I don't post much on the board but do lurk on a regular basis.

I had my DS April 2007 started out day of my surgery at 305, I am 5'5 and currently i weigh 197 this morning, my lowest was 185 thanks to the swine flu but that and carbs slowly slipped away.

My surgeons goal for me was 150 and being almost three years out i am struggling to think that i will ever make it, Carbs is what hurts me the most, I can eat three cookies no problem but have a hell of a time getting down meats like steak and chicken... after a while you get so sick of eating the same things.

I obsess on a daily basis about my WLS i find i am getting more Jealous of the people who make goal in a year, i know that i ate carbs way to early and hurt myself in the process but it still a bitter pill to swallow.

So am i alone? Is there anyone else out there almost three years out with 50 pounds still to lose, is there hope for me?

I have been more depressed in the last month than i have since my surgery .. why did i do this if i am doomed to fail? or crap i am still fat wtf i have three years out.

I guess there is no magic tool or pill and not that i am looking for one but i just needed to vent.

Anyone struggling???

Hugs Kerry

Kayla B.
on 1/18/10 11:09 pm - Austin, TX
Kerry!!

I immediately recognized your screen name when you posted.  I remember you!  I so wish you would post more.

Could you try doing some swaps?  Like, making cookies with different ingredients that are maybe not-so-bad?  I find I can eat a lot of volume, but I always have to dedicate myself to that protein because it keeps me full and healthy.

There is a group of more freshly out post ops tha****ch their carbs together and post on a pretty frequent basis...try following their threads.  Most importantly, I'd just try to get back into the community.  If you think that eating is where the problem with the weight lies, staying connected to us here could help.  You can get menu ideas, ideas for low-carb products, support, etc.  We are always posting low-carb recipes and things you can swap out.  A lot of people like the accountability of the daily food thread, too.

I also find sites that offer some low carb alternatives are fun.  netrition.com or carbsmart.com both have some low carb baked goods and whatnot.  I know I have absolutely no control with my carb portions.  Even when I make "low carb" muffins, I totally overdo it.  I have to have these replacements in my life or else I'd probably be overdoing it on the real thing.

On the other hand, you have done AWESOME!  Maintaining over a 100lb loss is NOT something to sneeze at.  You did NOT fail.  I don't know if you can lose 50 pounds, but try shooting for the first 10 or so.  See how the low carb works.  You'll probably be able to lose about 5 lbs pretty quickly just in glycogen/water weight, so maybe that will boost your confidence in the low carb thing?  Go back to high protein/high fat and see how you respond.

Cheers, Kerry!
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
alla B.
on 1/18/10 11:44 pm
Hi Kerry,
no, you are not alone.
Me too can not get to goal.
I had my DS in 2 parts.I started 374lb and now I am 197 and I am only 5'1. I need to loose 50 more pounds.
I eat protein alot like meat,cheese,eggs but I eat some carbs as well.I try to walk everyday.
I blame my 2 part DS, it is easy to blame someone, not myself.
I had appt with PS about tummy tuck and she told me I need to loose 20 more lb.
I will try to do it avoiding carbs as more as possible.
Take care,
Alla

PART 1 VSG  03/28/2006;  PART 2   DS  01/31/20007

Kayla B.
on 1/19/10 3:35 am - Austin, TX
Alla,
At a certian point, you may have just leveled off.  You've lost a ton of weight and you should be proud of that and I'm kind of sickened that a PS told you no surgery unless you lose 20 more lbs.  If your weight has stabilized, I think you should find a PS that understand that you want to look the best for where you are at, not where you could be (especially if you are unable to get there).

It's not like PS is only reserved for people at goal weight!  Pfft!

I'd venture to say your results would even suffer if you were to lose 20 lbs in an un-maintainable way, then gain them back post-PS.  A good PS should know that stable weight is more important than low weight!
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
alla B.
on 1/19/10 4:46 am
Thank you, Kayla,
believe I am very happy with my results.
My life is completly different now, you know what I mean.
I can move, walk, even run and breathe without even thinking about it.
This is very important.
PS upset me very much, i will look for another one.
Thank you again.
Alla

PART 1 VSG  03/28/2006;  PART 2   DS  01/31/20007

claygunter
on 1/19/10 12:05 am - Woodstock, GA
ok I am still in the active loss stage...not quite 6 months but....

I have lost 140-150...but nowa stall

Yes too many cabs here and too much eating out and thus a stall...

But I have gone from 430 to 280...

If I lose nothing else it was a success...

Walked stairs on Friday night without gasping for air...

I am very pleased but I know I need to do better especially with carbs and exercise...

But compared to 430 I am happly as a clam...

Wonder why clams are so happy???
mquirkygirl
on 1/19/10 12:11 am - New York City, NY
Just trying to give you a little perspective, you have lost nearly 70% of your excess weight.  WLS is considered "successful" if you have 50%+ EWL.  So, from a clinical perspective, you are a success.  I know that probably doesn't make you feel any less frustrated, but that is quite an achievement.  And to have maintained that is amazing.

Sounds like you are one of the DS'ers that can't have carbs.  It sucks, doesn't it?  I can't have them either, else I gain as well, and I'm not even a year out yet.  Just being active with the boards has helped a lot.  Try participating in the Carb forums that go on nearly everyday.  It really does help with accountability and also helps you to see what other people are doing to combat their addiction to the sugar ****  Carbs really are an addiction.  The more you eat of them, the more you want to eat.  Your sleeve will also get used to them, too.  It won't be an overnight transition, but keep pushing the protein.  You'll get to where you can tolerate it better.

I know I'm still a baby in terms of my DS, but, the whole reason I got this surgery was because it puts me on a more even metabolic playing field.  The sleeve may stretch out, but our re-routing doesn't change.  I think it'll take a lot of concerted effort, but I don't believe it is unreasonable to think you can continue losing.

Also, what are you doing in terms of exercise?  If you're not on any kind of plan yet, try adding brisk walking to your regimen a few times a week and build from there.  I'm a big fan of muscle training, personally.  If you're already on an exercise plan, it may be time to switch things up.  Our bodies get used to routine, so sometimes a little shake up really can make the difference.

Don't despair.  We're here with ya.  :-)

5'10", HW: 326/SW: 280/CW: 181/Goal: 165

Lisey
on 1/19/10 7:20 am - Milwaukee suburb, WI
Original poster - I agree with Melodee, if you don't exercise, adding something like walking or Curves will help.  If you do exercise, try changing it up - she's spot-on about our body getting used to it.  Curves is a great muscle training / aerobic exercise.  The exercise specifically helps to burn off the glucose/ sugar in your blood, which will definitely help burn up some of your carbs.  Perhaps a combination of cutting back on carbs (especially simple carbs, those things are TOTALLY addictive!) & exercise will give you the results you want.  Good luck with everything & use the board!  It's a great support tool, everyone identifies with everything you just wrote - we've all been there at some point.

Melodee - I read that you had been really sick, it's good to see you posting again!!!

HW / SW / CW / GW      299 / 287160 / 140     Feb '09 / Mar '09 / Dec '13 /Aug '10          

Appendicitis/Bowel Obstruction Surgery 8/21/10
Beat Hodgkin's Lymphoma!  7/15/2011 - 1/26/2012 

Ran Half-Marathon 10/14/2012

First Pregnancy, Due 8/12/14                             I LOVE MY DS!!!

Kerry J.
on 1/19/10 12:40 am - Santa Clara, UT
Hi Kerry (love that name!)

I have not made it to my original goal either even though I'm exercising and feeling fantastic. My BMI is still in the overweight category, but I've found that the BMI charts can be way off base for us. If you really want to get to your idea weight, you do need a realistic goal and to know what that should be, I think you would be wise to get your body fat % measured.

According to the BMI charts, I'm supposed to weigh between 126 & 169 pounds and since my weight ranges between 190 & 200, I'm considered overweight. I just could not imagine me ever getting to 169, let alone anywhere below 150, so I had my body fat % checked. Wow! What a difference that made in how much I should lose. When I had it checked, my body fat % was 23.5 while ideal is 12-22% so that means my body fat was 1.5% above ideal 1.5% is about 3 pounds! Wow, what a difference; BMI says I'm 30-70 pounds overweight body fat % says I need to lose 3 pounds of fat!

So all this just means that you may be closer to your idea weight than you think and the only way to know is to get your body fat % taken and see where you're at.

You look great, I really doubt you need to lose 50 pounds, but what ever it really is; it's not that difficult to find out.

It's good to see you posting and I hope you keep it up, you just can't have too many Kerry's around!  

Kerry
Lloyd S.
on 1/19/10 12:46 am - Fairborn, OH
You're not alone.  When I started out, my goal was to weigh under 200.  This is when I was over 500.  When my surgeon asked me what my goal was, I told him and he said, "I don't think that is too realistic".  He said that I might get close, but statistically that would be hard to achieve.  I thought differently.  He never really said what he thought my goal weight should be.  Now, my "ideal" weight based upon the BMI index is 157.  I knew that I would never make that.  So, I thought 200 was a good number.  At first when the weight was melting off, I thought "I could do this".  Now at three years out, I'm thinking it still might be possible.  Yesterday was my latest consult with him.  As they were updating my info in the computer I finally saw what he thought my goal weight should be: 243.  Wow, he was not far off from reality. 

As I talked with him, he could not have been more pleased with my progress.  I know I am.
I've reassessed my goals.  I still want to be under 200, but really my ultimate goal is to be healthier.  That, I am.

So, don't be too hard on yourself.  Think about how far you have come and what you can do now that you couldn't before. 
I know for me the DS saved my life.

Lloyd
HW 502/SW469/CW250 - Down 219
Hernia repair and Pannilectomy: 13 March 2009

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views