Anyone else suffer from chronic constipation?

ShelliH_DS
on 1/19/10 4:39 am - Barrie, Canada
Hi all!

I had my DS in April of 2008.  I lost alot of weight early on but about 9 months po I started noticing I was getting constipated alot.  Since then I have continued to struggle with this.  I eat lots of fruits and veg, and I find I have to use things like benefibre, lactulose and senokot when I get really bunged up.  I am sometimes afraid to use the washroom because I know I am going to plug it up.  I am sorry if this is TMI but i wondered if anyone else has had the same problem and what you did to help it.
Shelli

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/10 4:50 am - Cumberland, IN
You malabsorb 80% of fats, and if you are only eating fruits and veggies you are definitely not getting enough fat in your diet.  Quite frankly I think you need to up your fat, a bit.  Eat a cheeseburger with lots of mayo.  Eat something somewhat greasy, but not overly so because it may gross you out (I never really mind grease).  I know it may sound gross, but it will definitely get the pipes moving. 

My remedy is to go get a 4piece original recipe Dark meal from KFC, and I think you should be fine!
ShelliH_DS
on 1/19/10 4:53 am - Barrie, Canada
Thanks for your reply.  I have tried that KFC does nothing for me!

(deactivated member)
on 1/19/10 6:23 am - Cumberland, IN
Okay.  i would definitely try some movie theater popcorn popped in oil, loaded with extra butter.  Or a Cesar Salad with tons of chicken and tons of Cesar dressing.  Fat is definitely the problem here, so there has got to be something to make you go.  If you don't mind (a little TMI) you could a heaping serving of sugar alcohols for the day.  It wont make you feel very good (you may have diarrhea) but after a day or so it really clears your system, however that would be a last resort for me.

Have you tried any Milk of Magnesia at all?
Elizabeth N.
on 1/19/10 6:28 am - Burlington County, NJ
Some of my remedies include:

about a quarter of a cup of heavy cream in every mug of tea I drink

cheesecake, really high quality, ergo high FAT, cheesecake

a lake of butter on my meat or fish

a donut from the local Mennonite market--they are loaded with more fat than any others I've ever found

If I get really stopped up, I'll put myself on a fat quota that I *have* to fill, and we're talking something 250 grams a day sometimes, until my guts run. Of course, eventually I reach the point of overkill and it takes a couple days to even back out....But it works every time.
yorkieGal
on 1/19/10 5:22 am, edited 1/19/10 5:22 am - Clermont, FL
HI Shelli, you need to experiment with different foods and see what DOES work. KFC might work for Brok and I but for you it might be popcorn with real melted butter,or a ribeye with blue chesse on top etc.
Fat is definitely the issue here, it keeps things moving and that is what you need. The fruits and veggies maybe healthy for a normie but if you are filling up your tummy with carbs (even complex carbs) then you need to change things up a bit. make sure you get enough fluids and some exercise and the pipes should stay running clear. I would definitely try all of these before resorting to OTC stuff for the pooping!!
Best of luck

yorkie xx

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Dannirn
on 1/19/10 5:35 am - PA

I dealt with this when I upped my vitamins.  My 100% cure:  1 bag microwave popcorn with 1 stick melted butter poured over top.  Watch out if you eat it right before bed, I usually have to run for the bathroom by 4am!  Hope this helps!~~Danell

Kerry J.
on 1/19/10 5:48 am - Santa Clara, UT
Have some sausage & eggs for breakfast, then some fried cheese sticks for your morning snack, a Wendy's Double Baconator, minus the bottom bun for lunch, then later a couple of Krispy Kreme's for your afternoon snack, then some KFC or BBQ Ribs for dinner and then some popcorn swimming in butter just before bed.

If that doesn't lube the pipes, I don't know what will.

Kerry
yorkieGal
on 1/19/10 6:11 am - Clermont, FL
Oh my goodness Kerry!! That would put me in hospital on a drip for fluids!!!lol   The butter & popcorn always does the trick , i think it is the combindation of the fat & fibre that does it!!  Ok, enough, TMI!!! lol

Yorkie x

Had a band in 2005 at 280lbs, had band removed and DS done on Jan 22nd 08 at 220lbs in Spain, now 135lbs and a size 4!! Happy as a Clam!!Dontcha love the DS? It's the best tool around!!                

Kerry J.
on 1/19/10 6:37 am - Santa Clara, UT
Well I'm not saying that everyone should eat that every day; just to try it and see if that does the trick. Think of it as greasing the machinery...

I could eat it every day and it wouldn't bother me, but then nothing does seem to bother my digestive tract. People talk about how they get plugged up taking Iron; pffft! I take a hand full of a bunch of different Iron twice a day, doesn't do anything to me but turn my poop a purty green.

So anyway, I don't know how other people would react to eating that much fat, I just know it doesn't bother me, but then I've never had any kind of a bowel problem. Never been too loose or constipated...

Kerry
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 148 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views