xpost anyone with fed bcbs denied

crystal W.
on 4/7/11 2:23 am - east liverpool, OH
if you were, what was the reason and did you have to start all over with the supervised diet?

Thanks
Lori B.
on 4/7/11 9:56 am - Great Mills, MD
I have Fed BCBS (Basic), and I was approved for a revision to DS in December.  I think the approval was good for 90 days, and I just had my surgery on March 15th.  There was a little bit of fuss in December because they were getting ready to implement some changes for 2011, and there was some confusion about whether I would be approved or not, but in the end the 2010 rules applied and everything went smoothly.

I didn't have to do a supervised diet.  That was something they added this year.  I also understand that there is a new policy  for revisions.  There has to be documentation proving that the failure of the previous surgery was due to complications of some sort and not noncompliance.

Hope you weren't denied for anything that is a dealbreaker, and you can resubmit and get approved soon!  Good luck!
Lori

Monkey_doodle
on 4/7/11 10:09 am - NY
I have Fed BCBS Standard and had no problems with anything being approved.  IF you were not approved did they give you a reason?  Or just gathering info as a just-in-case-they-try-to-deny-me kind of thing?  Which I completely understand because I was worried about it all.  The letter I got stated I was approved for a 5 day hospital stay- I asked a rep verbally over the phone if my request was approved and he said yes.  What worries me is the lack of letter stating exactly that I was approved for the surgery (I just had it on 3/29/11).  I don't know think what I mention has much to help but feel free to contact me or pm me.
Sheilagh

PS the supervised diet was necessary despite my weight loss history efforts- it all depnded on the dietician saying yay or nay for me to go ahead with the surgeon- that was the waiting game for me.  And as far as I knew there was no amount or % necessary to lose with that insurance. 

DS surgery- 3-29-11
bldeck
on 4/7/11 11:44 am - Farmington, NM
Was approved in 3 days (that was from the doctors office sending the paperwork to the insurance until they called me to set a surgery date).  I did not have a supervised diet but I do know that the rules have changed from 2010 to 2011.  Also I an a New Mexico resident and traveled to Texas to have the surgery.

Betty

DS with Daryl Stewart 04/21/10 - SW 306lbs CW 140lbs

Plastic Surgery with Dr. Sauceda 11/06/12 - LBL, Thigh Lift, BL/BA, small Arm lift

crystal W.
on 4/7/11 12:17 pm - east liverpool, OH
Thanks everyone.  I haven't been denied, the bariatric nurse just is very reluctant to submit since I actually gained during my supervised 3 mos.  I've read the plan brochure and called the co 3 times just trying to get someone to verify whether or not you get denied for not losing or gaining during that 3 months.

weight loss is not listed as a requirement but you never know what goes on during the review process.  I just want to get rid of this band and get a procedure that truly has restriction.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 149 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 690 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views