Tummy tuck-what was your experience

lwillis22
on 4/7/11 9:52 am
Hello,
  I am looking into having a tummy tuck and just wondered what everyones experience with theirs were? I am really not sure what to expect.  I have heard it is a rough recovery.  I also have a hernia that I need to get fixed at the same time. How long were you off work? What were your results? Are you happy with the results.

Thanks,
Lori

Crazeru
on 4/7/11 10:13 am
I ended up with the LBL, as I needed the back stretched down and the butt lifted.   I also had a big muffin top that Dr Sauceda lipo'd off.  I also had a BL, arms and an a small upper thigh lift at the same time and was off for 8 weeks.  I'm 12 weeks out today, and still get tired.  Tom had his hernia repaired with his LBL with Dr Sauceda.  You can check out his board by clicking on Dr Sauceda in my siggy line.

Chris
HW/225 - 5'1" ~ SW/205/after surgery 215 ~ CW/145~ BMI-25.8~Normal BMI 132 ~DS Dr Rabkin 4/17/08
Plastics in Monterrey - See Group on OH Dr Sauceda Jan 13, 2011
LBL, BL, small thigh lift, arms & a full facelift on 1/17/11
UBL 1/21/13
Love my Body by Sauceda

gak
on 4/7/11 1:23 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Lori,

I think everyone varies with this. Your fortunate you have a hernia as insurance will help pay for it. I went to Dr Kuster in Brazil. It was a slow first week and then I was up and out walking drains and all up and down the beach. I think it depends on your pain tolerance and determination etc. I do not think it is harder than the DS if that helps.

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

lwillis22
on 4/7/11 8:59 pm

Thanks that does help.  I am being told that even with the hernia insurance won't pay.

gak
on 4/9/11 2:56 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Why would insurance not pay for a hernia ? That is a medical issue !  I would fight it for sure. Then usually you have to pay the difference between the time for hernia repair and the tummy tuck. Find a surgeon who will work with you on that type of arrangement. It is done all the time in many places.

I never had a hernia, so had to pay for plastics full price. Although in Brazil it was cheaper than the US back then.

Ginger<><  

lwillis22
on 4/9/11 4:00 am
Oh I am sorry, you misunderstood me. I meant that I am being told that the hernia and plastic are two seperate procedures and would be billed seperatly. I would think that you would already be under anesthesia for the hernia repaira and the hospital charges  would be covered so it should make the tt cheaper, but that is not what I am being told. Do you know of places that do it differently?

Thanks,
Lori

gak
on 4/9/11 12:41 pm
Revision on 06/21/13
Lori,
Usually they will do the procedure covered by insurance. The insurance is billed for the OR time, the doc time etc. When he is done with the hernia, they keep on going and the doc does the tummy tuck. At this point the self pay clock starts running, for the doc, the anesthesiologists, the OR room, drugs, IV's everything needed to do the procedure. Then they bill the insurance for the hernia and you for the tummy tuck. Often they will will require a prepayment on the tummy tuck part.  It depends on your state and hospital and the doc exactly how they do it,but that is the basics of it.

Would the doc doing the hernia, be the same doc that  does the tummy tuck ? If not they would have to coordinate schedules so you can stay asleep and the second guy just takes over and finishes up.

HTH

Ginger<><  

lwillis22
on 4/9/11 11:29 pm
Thanks for the explanation.  I am going to keep researching ps cus I think some push for insurance coverage more.  I am hoping to find a surgeon that would do both the tt and hernia at the same time.

gak
on 4/10/11 5:58 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Your welcome. If you have trouble with rashes you might be able to get insurance coverage as well.. It has to be documented though. Get a copy of your insurance policy and see what it actually covers.

Ginger<><  

zuzupetals2u2
on 4/10/11 8:46 am - Sedona, AZ
I heard that your doctor K does plastics now too - have you checked with him???

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 360 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views