Update almost 5 weeks out from VBG to DS revision

Jersey Girl
on 4/9/11 6:24 am

I'm doing great and loving my DS!!!!  I'm down 26lbs and my pcp and new obgyn are very happy for me.  I wish I'd never gotten the VBG, but I honestly believe that ordeal taught me some valuable lessons and prepared me to really appreciate my DS.  I can't explain how normal I feel again by having that band gone!

I've been doing my full Vitalady schedule for about a week now and  I'm getting in 50-60 grams of protein per day.  Drinking all of my liquids has been a struggle, but I just keep pushing at it.  I've been eating lots of eggs, cheese, multigrain crackers, crab cakes, bacon, and deli turkey/chicken.  I even eat popcorn with TONS of butter.  I've had hot chocolate and some sweets, but the hours of gas that follows are not worth it.  I also eat pepperoni & cheese and slim jims.  All that fat really helps get you moving nicely!!!  I'm also amazed by the oil slicks, hahahah. 

Well that's it for now.  Recovery was tough, but not unbearable, never doubted my decision for a moment and I'd do it all over again. 

A l y s i a  (pronounced like A l i c i a)
Total weight loss since HW of 475:

Pounds lost since band revision to DS            
(deactivated member)
on 4/9/11 6:31 am
Jersey Girl
on 4/9/11 6:41 am
I remember my first sip of water in the hospital......I was amazed to actually feel it go all the way down!!!  It was wonderful!  In comparison to band where food and liquids sem to just stop halfway.  I can even been full with my DS and lay down without fear of bringing food stuck back up!  It's like a rebirth!!!

zuzupetals2u2
on 4/9/11 6:41 am - Sedona, AZ
I was wondering if you were experiencing what I was - now that the pouch is gone (after 25 years with it!) I find I am still eating small portions naturally and I can't say I have ever gotten really full yet since the DS, and maybe partly because I also chew things well now from having to do it so long. Do you feel the same? I am eating lots more than I thought I would too- are you? It's been nice, especially with weight coming off.

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Jersey Girl
on 4/10/11 8:11 am
Zu, I'm eating smaller portions but I think it's only because I'm still newly out.  I'm full from one egg or 2 slices of bacon.  I'm amazed that I can eat and then drink.  That's the best part!  But I eat protein throughtout the day.  So smaller portions less often. 

airbender
on 4/9/11 6:49 am
wow great job, ahhhh the feeling of normalcy......you tend to lose that when you have a vbg or lap band, and it is very insidiuous, it doesn't happen overnight so you get used to it till you get to a point you are so way off from what normal should be, you can't eat anything normal, no protein, no raw veges, no raw fruits, you have entered a maladaptive eating disorder---the DS revision has given me a better quality of life even with all those pills i have to take.

I  have never had diarrhea or oil slicks, I am sure that depends on your cc length, of which mine is longer than the 75-100cc average.  I am so excited for you, to be on your way to a better quality of life, the first 3 months are ok, by 4 months you start having a routine down and it will get easier......very happy for you
Jersey Girl
on 4/10/11 8:09 am
Thanks so much Airbender!  You're right on point about the crazy VBG!!! 

gak
on 4/9/11 11:08 am
Revision on 06/21/13
Alysia,
So glad you are doing so well ! Congrats ... the WOW's will just keep on coming along

Ginger<><  
 Revision #2 Dr John Rabkin June 21, 2013; First Revision DS - Dr Maguire
  5-18-09; First DS 7-15-2003 Dr Clark Warden = Third time is the charm   

KimberlyHeidi
on 4/9/11 11:43 am - VA
 Congrats sweetie! 
sweetdew
on 4/9/11 3:20 pm - CA
Hey love...............

Sweetdew
2005-Revision from Lap-band to RNY, 12/2010 Revision from RNY to DS
HW-305  DS,SW-262  CW-slowly going down  GW-140/160