Surgery April 5, first MD visit today

SweetnessandGrace
on 4/12/11 11:57 am - ID
Hi all.  Surgery went well on Tuesday, they let me go home on Thursday.  I have been laying low since then, reading all the posts I missed, etc.  Today I went to MD to have staples removed, also the two drains hanging from my gut like a couple of extra boobies!  They actually poked out further than my own boobs.  I had no idea the drains were attached to your rectum and heart!  At least that's what it felt like when they got pulled out.  How come nobody has mentioned drain removal in their posts?  Kind of a shocking procedure, really. 

I was pleased to see a 13-pound weight loss in that week!  I was prepared to have either lost nothing or gained something from swelling and such.  Nice surprise!  I have never been so wiped out after getting home, though.  Drop dead exhausted!

I admit protein has been an issue for me.  I am absolutely revolted by all the drinks/powders/shakes etc. I bought to have on hand.  They will not go down my gullet!  I have done really well with liquids, though, and SF Jello and SF pudding are no problem.  I had about a quarter of a cup of creamy onion soup from Outback Monday night.  At that point it was give me the pie and call the doctor cuz I was hungry and needed to get something in me besides Crystal Lite and water!  No problemo!  Someone here suggested the EAS protein drinks so had DH pick some up today for me.  Will try later. 

Thanks to all of you for your invaluable information and help to everyone who needs it.  People like me read all those posts and learn so much, and I feel really ready to make this DS work for me. 

HEAVEN IS THE PLACE WHERE YOU GO TO MEET ALL THE DOGS YOU HAVE LOVED.

beemerbeeper
on 4/12/11 12:36 pm - AL
Don't stress over the protein.  You have a month to get up to 30 grams a day.  For now you need to concentrate on fluids.  You have to work at it.  Count how much you are getting and try to increase it every day!  64 oz is a minimum that you need.

Congrats on joining us on the bench!

~Becky

SweetnessandGrace
on 4/12/11 1:03 pm - ID
Thanks Becky!  Am trying to keep track of fluids on fitday as one day seems just like another and I have a hard time remembering how many glasses I've actually had.  So far so good.  And thanks for the spot on the bench!  I'll try to be worthy!

tmhughes
on 4/12/11 12:37 pm
The drains are awful! I started crying when he pulled the first one and kept crying for almost 20 minutes! I think I was hormonal and that just set the wheels in motion. The first week or two I had allot of yogurt, cottage cheese, and scrambled eggs with cheese yum! Best wishes on a speedy recovery!

Tana
SweetnessandGrace
on 4/12/11 1:06 pm - ID
Thanks Tana!  Scrambled eggs sound good.  Maybe I'll try that, though I should be on full liquids another week.  Should I be a rebel?  Maybe I'll try some more cream soup and see how that goes.  So far recovery has been okay.  I was hoping to feel up to doing more by now, but I don't, so I'm not pushing it.

Ms. Cal Culator
on 4/12/11 12:39 pm, edited 4/12/11 1:29 pm - Tuvalu

If dragging those damend drains around is any clue as to what it's like living with testicles, no wonder men are such cranky characters.
SweetnessandGrace
on 4/12/11 1:07 pm - ID
I have always had a hard time imagining what those ugly things feel like in that particular spot! Maybe you're on to something there.  Next time Nurse Crabby comes in (my DH) I'll ask him if this is true!

Renee2007
on 4/12/11 12:56 pm - Central, FL
 There seems to be two sides to the drain removal. The camp that declares that it's nothing at all....a piece of cake or my camp that says it felt like my large intestine was coming out of that small hole in my belly! I had two drains and they hurt like hell coming out. At least it was fast and as soon as it was out it didn't hurt any longer.

Don't sweat the protein right now. Just focus on the fluids. The protein will come in time and your tastes will keep changing. Something that repulses you now might taste fine to you in a month or so.

Congrats on the 13lbs. You are off to a great start!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

SweetnessandGrace
on 4/12/11 1:10 pm, edited 4/12/11 1:15 pm - ID
Well, it was shocking and it made my back cramp (?!?) but you're right, at least it's over fast, and what freakin' relief to have them out! 

I know you're right about the protein issue, it's just that folks on this forum stress protein so much I'm scared to death to blow it right out of the chute. 

And thanks Renee, 13 pounds was a boost to my morale!

teachmid
on 4/12/11 1:25 pm - OKC, OK
I remember the drain removal being painful, but quick. I also had a feeding tube until 6 weeks and worried about that removal....piece of cake, no pain.

Early on, I focused on water, water, water. I also had very dilute oatmeal, tomato soup with melted cheese in it, chicken and beef broth, yogurt and a little egg.

Sounds like you're doing well. Congratulations on your weight loss.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 355 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views