Would you like a cup of coffee?

Barbara C.
on 4/14/11 1:49 am - Raleigh, NC

I just had someone tell me that their program strongly prohibits coffee post surgery and ask me if I ever have coffee.

My program also restricts caffinated drinks, especially early on. Dehydration is a major issue following weight loss surgery. Believe it or not, dehydration is actually the number one reason that people are readmitted to the hospital during the first few days and weeks after surgery. Coffee generally contains caffine and caffine acts as a diuretic, so there is some concern that consuming coffee can contribute to deydration. Caffine is also known to contain acids that can increase the gastic acids which can cause heartburn and gastro esohpageal reflux. Finally, studies indicate that coffee stimulates gallbladder contraction and colonic motor activity within minutes of drinking it. Here is a link to a review of the issue.

My program does allow 'decaffinated' coffee and tea, so that's what I enjoy.

Barbara
ObesityHelp Coach and Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/bcumbo_group/
High-264, Current-148, Goal-145

Kathleen F.
on 4/14/11 2:49 am
PamtasticNewLife
on 4/14/11 3:17 am
I believe I was told something to that effect. I didn't drink coffee or tea for close to a year after DS. Now, I drink a couple cups in the morning, and occasionally will have a cup during the day if have company.

TMI

I use heavy cream in my coffee and find when I don't I get that extra full feeling. Half and half doesn't move me like the heavy cream does.
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 3:28 am
I drink a pot of coffee daily and around a gallon of iced tea daily. 
There are studies that show once you are used to ingesting the caffeine that it does not act like a diuretic.  There are also some studies that show it reverses memory impairment in aged mice bred to have Alzheimers.
I can drink coffee and fall asleep standing up against a wall, it just doesn't affect me like it does some people or I have built up a tolerance.  I have been places or in situations where I could not get coffee or tea and I do not suffer from withdrawals. Caffeine does help me with constipation issues, as it does seem to increase colonic activity, which I need.

I am also NOT advocating that anyone, especially a new post-op drink caffeine.

Michele
mel1964
on 4/14/11 3:44 am
DS on 09/15/09 with
I love coffee now especially since i have  a kuerig coffee machine! i found out it helps things get moving by accident one morning, sometimes it makes me sleepy if i drink it at night and sometime i get a buzz, not sure whats that about, i drink it more since my surgery and use flavored creamers, half and half or heavy cream, usually with no sugar or 1 or 2. i drink all teas also.

Julie R.
on 4/14/11 6:25 am - Ludington, MI
Fortunately, I must have been either asleep or zoned out during that part of the pre-op or post-op seminar, because I'd curl up and die without my beloved full-octane black tea.   
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 7:15 am
I was served coffee in the hospital.  After having surgery on Wednesday and being discharged on Saturday, we drove thru Starbucks on the way back home to Lubbock and I sipped bold java the entire way in addition to water and Crystal Light.  I've drunk coffee every day since without any ill effects.  Maybe I'm different and would never endorse it for others, but  I've no plans to stop now.
(deactivated member)
on 4/14/11 8:55 am
I love my coffee.  Won't do without it.
amccu18007
on 4/14/11 10:21 am, edited 4/14/11 10:21 am - Newark, DE
DS on 07/26/10 with
My brother owns a coffee house and I visit there all the time. I don't plan on stopping anytime soon. However, I didn't drink it for a month or two after surgery and wouldn't advise anyone else as to what they should do
  Amanda
SW 269    CW 135.6  GW 140    

MsBatt
on 4/15/11 8:18 am
Just out of curiosity, why do you, and RNYer, come to the DS board to post? Especially to post things that are contrary to the DS post-op lifestyle?
Most Active
Recent Topics
Ridiculous Misconceptions after WLS
jmm1234 · 11 replies · 190 views
Looking for Peloton buddies
MizzzCee · 3 replies · 113 views
RNY revision to SADI or DS
beelzebubbles · 13 replies · 581 views
Does water block absorption?
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 207 views