Those of you who take Proferrin...

kat08
on 5/9/11 11:56 am - Matthews, NC
Do you take the Proferrin ES or Proferrin Forte?  How many do you take?  Do they affect your poo (constipation, color, etc?)  Do you swallow them whole or cut them in half?

I am pre op but only for a couple more days.  I ordered some Proferrin ES from Costco 2 weeks ago but only ended up with them today.  While I was waiting, I took a Repliva that I had from when I was pregnant.  OMGsh!  I forgot how horrible those things were!  The next day, my poo was dark, dark green, almost black and it was already sluggish - just from one pill!  I decided not to take any more of those - trashed them the next day. 

I ordered the Proferrin in hopes that it won't constipate me.  They're kind-of pricey, though.  It was $60 for a bottle of 90.  I hope they're good! 
-Kathy
Have you had or are you going to have the DS and live in the Charlotte, NC area?  There is a DS meet up group near you!  PM me for details.
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/11 12:09 pm
 Hi Kathy
I take the Proferrin Forte being it's Rx it's cheaper for me, just a co-pay.

I only take one a day and my labs been coming back just fine. But then I'm old, compared to most. 
I just break it in half befor I put it in my mouth, it breaks real easy, not nessersary to cut it.

I like the proferring because I have no poo issues with it and I just take it in the morning with the rest of my vitamins. 

Easy peasy.

Good Luck with the surgery, let us know when you're able, how you are doing.
teachmid
on 5/9/11 12:34 pm - OKC, OK
I take Proferrin ES twice a day broken in half. I have no effects what so ever unlike other iron supplements.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

MomToTeens
on 1/11/12 11:10 pm - OH
Hi Gail,

I was searching information on Proferrin ES, and found you .  I see you take it twice daily.  Is that one pill each time?  Do you take any other iron at all?  (carbonyl)  How have your iron levels been all along?  Were you low before starting it? 

I have recently starting  taking 5 of the Vitalady Carbonyl after my first labs showed I was low in iron, but it's wreaking havoc with my bowel habits.  I need to do something different....

Thanks,

Susan
RNY:  05/24/2005     SW:  270, lowest:  190,  Back up to:  230
Revision to DS:  07/24/2011  SW:230/CW:181/GW:140

"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there!"
Will Rogers

teachmid
on 1/12/12 8:45 am - OKC, OK
Susan,
I take 2 pikka a day...each one broken in half. All my iron markers are good except my Ferritin which was really low before surgery. I have no GI problems at all.

I briefly tried the tender iron, but couldn't tolerate it. Since I have had intermittent anemia problems all my life, I just decided to switch to the Proferrin. My PCP had me taking it 3 times a day trying to get my ferritin level up, but I only did that for 3 months.

I started out with the Proferrin ES from Vitalady then got a script for the Forte from my PCP. It made it a little cheaper.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

JennType1
on 5/9/11 12:42 pm - Middle of, TN
 I've taken both (an experiment with co-pays). No problems with poo or burps with either. You must break them in half as a post-op or they will simply pass through your short guts mostly undigested.

Proferrin was helpful in getting some of my iron labs to trend up, unlike Repliva. 

When you order again, get them from VitaLady. She sells them $50/bottle of 90. Unless she has very recently raised her prices.

Good luck with your big day!

Jenn
Type 1 diabetic, 26 years
With great power (the DS!) comes great responsibility.

kat08
on 5/9/11 12:58 pm - Matthews, NC
Oooh!  Thanks.  That's all good to know - esp the Vitalady price.
-Kathy
Have you had or are you going to have the DS and live in the Charlotte, NC area?  There is a DS meet up group near you!  PM me for details.
airbender
on 5/9/11 12:49 pm
I take Bifera (28 mg (proferrin 6 mg+polysaccharide Fe complex 22 mg), it would be about 65$ for 90 pills.  hope that helps....iron can really chop up the GI system (not bifera)
kat08
on 5/9/11 12:58 pm - Matthews, NC
So is this like a "double proferrin"?  Is this Rx or OTC?  This might be the best way to go money wise...if it works the same. :)
-Kathy
(deactivated member)
on 5/9/11 1:11 pm - Yorktown, VA
On a side note, it's so nice to see so many Sudan DSers on here now!  I'm glad the word is spreading that he's at Duke and people are seeking him out!  :)

Now, to answer your questions.....I took Proferrin ES for awhile and now take Proferrin Forte.  The only reason I switched was to see if it would be cheaper to get the prescription and go through my insurance.  (I have Aetna via UPS.)  It's only a tad cheaper for me to get the Forte, but it's very convenient to go through Medco and get a giant-ass bottle sent to me automatically.

No issues with poo or burps or anything.  I break mine in half and I take 2 at a time, one time per day.

I'm getting 18 month labs done later this week, so we'll see how my iron looks then, eh?
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 256 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 737 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views