anyone unhappy with their DS

Tammy R.
on 4/20/11 11:13 am - Covina, CA
I need a revision and was pretty se on bypass when somebody made me take a look at this alternative. Can you tell me why you dont love your DS or why you do?
lapband 7/08 revised to rny 7/11

P. Poster
on 4/20/11 11:19 am
 I love everything about my life post DS.  I have NO issues with foods, eat normally, and am very active now.  Lost all my comorbids and am the picture of health.  Getting the DS was the best decision I've ever made.

Now that said- I HATE the vitamins....  But, I'd have to take them (or the ****load of prescriptions I was taking before my DS) no matter WHAT WLS I had.  So, it's a trade off, and while I dislike it, it is worth it.  
Anna G.
on 4/20/11 11:23 am
I love my DS because it loves me.

It has given me my life back. I'm back onstage, singing, acting, dancing, doing all of the things I really thought were in my past.

That somebody who made you look at this alternative is somebody to whom you will one day be very, very grateful.

Compared to bypass? I don't have to worry about dumping. I can eat normal amounts of food. I don't have any body parts left unused in my body to collect ulcers or worse with no way to scope them. But most importantly of all, with the DS I have a very good chance of keeping most of my weight off for the rest of my life. There is no better measure of an obesity cure than durability of results.

bookfaerie
on 4/20/11 11:31 am
 I wish I didn't have to worry about labs or vites...and I wish health professionals were more educated on post op life and diet. Postop was horrible for me for like 8 weeks. Other than that? True love. 
I had my surgery in December. I've lost half my excess weight. I eat virtually whatever I want to so long as I get all my protein in. I've had no bowel issues or food sensitivities. And it's such a RELIEF to know that I'm "cured". All the other times I lost this much weight I was so afraid I'd gain it all back (and I did!). 

"Mediocrity knows nothing higher than itself, but talent instantly recognizes genius." Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

"What your heart thinks is great, is great. The soul's emphasis is always right." Ralph Waldo Emerson    
(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 11:36 am
I will be 6 years out in a few months and I still love my DS.

It gave me back my life.

I have no issues compared to my pre-op life.  I eat my protein and I take my vitamins and I get my labs done.

I had stomach stapling surgery in 1989 and was revised to a DS in 2005.

I was self-pay as my HMO insurance only covered RNY so I went to Dr. Marchesini in Brazil.

I would have this surgery once a year if necessary. I lost my Type II diabetes, my high blood pressure, my high cholesteral and my sleep apnea and 149 pounds. (+ or - 5#)

I had zero complications.

Michele
Julie R.
on 4/20/11 11:58 am - Ludington, MI
 I LOVE my DS beyond description.
For the first time in my life, I eat like a "normal" person and enjoy food without guilt.
I am almost five years out and just do not worry about my weight anymore, as long as I remain 
reasonable with carbs.   When I say "reasonable," I mean not going hog-wild.

Drawbacks:
1)  I have issues absorbing vitamin D - more than the average bear
2)  Wildly indiscriminate carb usage causes really stinky gas

I can hardly complain though, considering the wonderful life I now have as a thin, healthy indivdiual that can now run, jump, climb, bike and dance with complete ease and confidence - and I'm 50!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

beemerbeeper
on 4/20/11 11:58 am - AL
The DS saved my life and gave me a quality of life I never knew I could have.  I can EAT and not feel deprived and I can do everything I want to do that I could never do, and I am healthy.

My only regret is not doing it 30  years ago!!

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 4/20/11 12:15 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I  revised from RNY to DS, and I love my DS. After I healed I felt normal for the first time since 2003.
Kayla B.
on 4/20/11 12:31 pm - Austin, TX
I love my DS!  I don't love every little bit about it, but overall, I love it!

I hate vitamins and I hate having a limb of intestines that can't be visualized very well.  I'm always very paranoid that something is going on in there...lol

But I hated being 366 lbs more than any of the things I don't like about my DS combined times ten.  Squared.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
delano1972
on 4/20/11 12:52 pm - North Platte, NE
I love my DS and am very thankful that I was able to have this surgery. I have to admit though that while researching my options I thought the VSG was a very good option for me, however, my insurance would not pay for a sleeve it was DS, RNY, or Band. Of those 3 the DS was my choice. I was concerned about the malabsorption so that led me to think that perhaps the sleeve would be best. But at the same time I only wanted to have one WLS surgery I did not want to be a revision so I opted for the most effective WLS surgery right out of the gate.

In hindsight, I do NOT think I would have been as successful with just the sleeve, I need the malabsorption. I do have some issues with highly processed food, so I stay away from them or pay the price (gas and bloating). I do not have issues with diarrhea, in fact I lean on the edge of constipation more than anything.

I have yet to have any issue with any vites other than iron and I was low on that prior to surgery so I just take more carbonyl to get the stores back up.

I would absolutely have the DS again without hesistation and I would and have recommended it to a lot of people.

Good luck with your choice.

Michelle
Highest 242/Surgery 235/Goal 150/Lowest 158/Current 184 (Started working off regain and heading to goal 02/02/12.)    

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 363 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views