need help about magnesium please

KRWaters
on 4/21/11 10:11 am, edited 4/21/11 10:18 am - Manteca, CA

http://www.calmnatural.com/natural-calm-16oz

I hope someone responds to this. I want to increase my magneisum. I take mag citrate 100 mg 4 times a day. I was thinking of adding mag oxide for slow bowel movements, need to increase the amount. If i take my Miralax, then sometimes I go toooo much. I can't find a happy medium. Just reading about magnesium, what I read says that the mag citrate can help my bowels so maybe I should take 2 -four times a day instead of one? Or what about the stuff called "Calm". It seems it might help some of the issues I have such as insomnia, fatigue. Does anything think it would work better than 2 mag citrate 4 times a day. And what about oxide, should I add that with the mag citrate, forget it, take the Calm or what?. Anyone knowledgable or who have gone this route, please answer. I have been Googling a lot about magnesium, but I am still so confused.

Just wanted to add that the last two blood draws my magnesium was 1.8 and 1.9 (1.6-2.3). How high should it be? I just seem to have a lot of the symptoms of low magnesium.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Kayla B.
on 4/21/11 11:03 am, edited 4/21/11 11:03 am - Austin, TX
Magnesium deficiency is one of those things that is difficult to diagnose from a blood test.  It's needed a lot inside cells so blood levels stay pretty constant.

Magnesium oxide isn't very bioavailable so it mostly stays in the gut and can attrac****er to the intestines to soften stool.  It's pretty mild so you might like it over miralax.  Typical dose is anywhere from 400-1000mg.  Vitalady has it as part of her constipation cure.  Remember, it's not well absorbed, so it's not going to help with any other symptoms if you think you have a legitimate magnesium deficiency.

All forms of magnesium soften stool for me, so you might be able to help the constipation + other symptoms just by finding the right magnesium.

What kind of magnesium (brand) are you using?  The magnesium I've taken comes as a big 100mg tablet and I noticed a difference when taking it 4x per day.  You might try a different form like glycinate or increase the dose.  Technically, you can help calcium absorption by taking calcium and magnesium in a 2:1 ratio.  So, half as much mg as ca.  So if you take 600mg of calcium, you should take 300mg mag with it.  That is a pretty commonly recommended ratio.

I don't know much about the calm, but I know I hate taking supplements in a dissolved form, so I personally really wouldn't like it.  That's just me.

Did you ever try decreasing the dose on the miralax?  Say, 1/2 capful every day, or every other day?

In summary, I'd start with increasing the dose on the magnesium you already have on hand to reach the appropriate ratio.

If that doesn't help, consider switching the form of magnesium from citrate to glycinate (or something).

If that doesn't work for constipation, consider adding magnesium oxide.

If that doesn't work for constipation, just consider lowering the miralax dose or try colace instead.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
KRWaters
on 4/21/11 11:35 am - Manteca, CA
Kayla, i realy appreciate all you input. Well since i have mag citrate at home, i will double that up. I actually had doubled it before, but went back to 1 four times a day. BTW, it helps with my leg cramps. That was a big concern of mine, but that seems to have gotten better again. Hit a rough patch for a while with the foot/toe cramps, but now okay. I have a hard time co-ordinating the MiraLax properly. If i decrease the dose, it does not work well at all, a tad too  much and i have to run to the loo a lot. If I have to go into the office, that can be a problem. When i work from home, which i do mostly now, i am ok. Like I said, having a hard time finding happy medium. I had thought of glycinate, but wasn't sure if that would help the leg/foot cramps? So let's see I take 2000-3000 mg of calcium citrate a day, so that would mean 1000 -1500 mg magnesium citrate a day? Yikes, i am quite low on magnesium. Ok, I am going to order high mg amount then of the magnesium. I have been getting the magnesium citrate from Puritan Pride, buy 2 bottles, get 3 free, etc. I feel like I have a lot in reserve that way. I have been using Costco calcium citrate.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

Renee2007
on 4/21/11 1:30 pm - Central, FL
 I take magnesium glycinate and I get mine from the Vitamin Shoppe. They are 200mg pills and there's 180 per bottle. My calcium doses are 630mg and I take 1 mag glycinate with all 4 doses. The ratio is a little off but I figure it's close enough. I have no bowel issues at all and I take nothing for constipation or loose stools. What I'm taking is working well for me. 

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

KRWaters
on 4/24/11 1:16 pm - Manteca, CA
Glad things are going well for you Renee. I still have yet to get everything squared in order. I ordered magnesium citrate, 400 mg each, so i would take one three times a day to equal 1200 mg a day, and i take my calcium citrate around 2000 to 3000 mg a day. I always take the 2000 a day, one set (2) with each meal and one set at bedtime. I try to get in two  more doses a day, but don't always remember since they are not in my pill organizer. I need a pill organizer with 6 little cupholders a day, ha ha.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

Lisanelson_2
on 4/24/11 12:43 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
 Hello,

I found out I was magnesium deficient about a year ago and now take magnesium taurate (100mg x 3 per day) and I spray magnesium oil on my feet at bed time (for transdermal absorption). Magnesium oxide is only about 4% absorbable for the normal stomach - so I went with the magnesium taurate.   You're right, the citrate does give me the "problems" as well.

I read that a serum blood test for magnesium will not give you the entire picture regarding whether you are deficient or not, as your blood only stores about 1% of your magnesium and maintains it a level of homeostasis, your tissues contain about 40%.   There is a test called the EXAtest which is supposed to measure the levels of magnesium in your heart and muscle tissue - but not sure if you want to bother.   

There is a good book called "The Magnesium Miracle" by Dr. Carolyn Dean which has good info in it if you are interested.

For me, I like the transdermal as it doesn't upset my stomach - just makes my feet a little dry and itchy.   But it worked for me.   
KRWaters
on 4/24/11 1:09 pm - Manteca, CA
I appreciate your response. I never heard of magnesium "taurate". How is it different than magnesium citrate or mag. glycinate?  I never heard of spraying magnesium on feet either. Interesting.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

Lisanelson_2
on 4/24/11 2:01 pm - Salt Lake City, UT
Magnesium taurate and glycinate are amino acid chelates of magnesium and are supposed to have less of a laxative effect.  The amino acid in magnesium taurate is taurine, and it's supposed to work synergistically with the magnesium to improve heart function.     Magnesium citrate, I understand is pretty good and also fairly absorbably but is said to have a mild laxative effect, which is the only reason why I went with the taurate.

I do six sprays on each foot, which is supposed to be about 400 mg of magnesium.   I did this as I just wasn't sure, because of the bypass, how much the supplement would actually be absorbed in my system.   But with transdermal, it just goes straight through the skin.   I read you can soak your feet in Epson Salts as well since that is magnesium sulfate salts, but the absorption isn't nearly as much as the oil. 

Hope you find one that works for you!
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 113 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 658 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views