Hormone Replacements, anyone?

Kayla B.
on 4/22/11 6:34 am - Austin, TX
I am 24, and it seems that massive weight loss has played some havoc on my hormones.  I have known now for nearly 2 years, my pituitary does not produce LH or FSH, and therefore, my ovaries produce basically no estrogen or progesterone.  My ovaries are healthy, they are just not being stimulated properly.  I thought I may have let my bodyfat get too low, so I stopped exercising and started shoveling carbs.  1.5 years later, I weigh 20 pounds more, feel fat, and still don't have a period.

I've been in and out of my GYN, PCP, and 2 endocrinologists offices...and all I got was a lame Rx for premarin 1.25 (synthetic estrogen).  I've tried 3 different birth control pills and they all cause me to bleed nonstop (nope, not kidding--I go from no period to never ending period on the pill).  I'm backwards.

The premarin is just NOT working for me.  I am soo tired, hot flashes, sleep disturbances.  I'm just going crazy.  But, as I am on the standard dose for my condition and birth control pills don't work well for me, I am having difficulty getting better care and don't know what to do.

I am considering seeing a doctor that specializes in bioidentical hormones, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this (or any other relevant experience with hormone replacements)?  It's really expensive ($425 for the first appointment, $75 for each follow up, and then at least $50/month for the actual product.  I feel bad enough to consider it if I knew it'd make me feel better, but the whole situation makes me uncomfortable.  It just reeks of quack-iness.

And you're free to PM me if you feel more comfortable with that route.

And if you know a hormone guru in Austin, or a very knowledgeable GYN -- lemme know!
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Janine P.
on 4/22/11 6:40 am - Long Island, NY
I've got no advice for you sweetpea, I'm just sorry you have to go through this BS.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Julie R.
on 4/22/11 6:44 am, edited 4/22/11 8:59 am - Ludington, MI
 First of all, I'm in kind of a different boat than you, as I'm perimenopausal, and I'm not well versed in this hormone business, but I've read that estrogen overload can wreak the same havoc as progesterone deficiency.    I was having lots of hormonal problems - terrible PMS, pain and bloating from mid-cycle until my period, irregular, periods, mood swings, etc.    I went to my doc and he felt that surpressing ovulation via low-dose birth control pills would help me.   Oh my gosh - my symptoms skyrocketed....heart palpitations, anxiety, bad dreams, sleep disturbances, night sweats.    I started reading up a bit on Dr. Lee's website and discovered that progesterone deficiency tends to be more of a problem with people my age than estrogen deficiency, and I'm sure the extra estrogen from the Lo-Estradiol is what caused all of the added symptoms.   I ordered a natural cream from Vitacost, which is recommended on his website, called Progesta.   I am a great skeptic about about "natural remedy" claims and am very cautious about applying such.    I have NOT had my hormone levels tested by my ob-gyn, because he's in Detroit and I haven't been down to see him in over a year, but I'd read enough to know that trying the progesterone cream was not going to be harmful.    I felt it was worth a shot.    You apply one pumpful once a day to areas of your body with thin skin, and use it three weeks out of four.     Amazingly, the day I finished the third week, my period started.    I was surprised to see its arrival, because I'd had NO PMS.     Once in a while I'll get out of the habit of applying it, and all of the old symptoms return, so I KNOW this isn't just in my head!
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Kayla B.
on 4/22/11 6:55 am - Austin, TX
Sounds interesting.  Most of my supplementation has been in the form of estrogen, as my endo seems to only be concerned about my calcium and bones.  Does seem to care too much about how I feel...blah.  haha.

My interest is piqued :) 

I do know that my estrogen comes up as
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
(deactivated member)
on 4/22/11 8:50 am
I'm not an expert, but I think you need to look into the progesterone.  I do know that if you have a uterus, you need progesterone.  If I remember right, it protects against uterine cancer.  Your endo is right about the estrogen protecting your bones, but sometimes I think doctors get going in one specific direction and forget to look at every part of our problems.  Just my two cents.
Emily F.
on 4/22/11 6:55 am
Have you seen a reproductive endocrinologist????? Mine was a genius, hope you find someone as good.
Kayla B.
on 4/22/11 6:57 am - Austin, TX
the prescriber of my premarin was a reproductive endo.  Her primary care is my bones--not too terribly concerned about my symptoms.  I think I might make another appointment with her to bug her again.  I think I'd like to try an estrogen cream instead of a pill. 

Perhaps I just need to be more annyoing...

She did say she could get my pregnant if I ever wanted to...but I am not seeking baby.  Just plain 'ol ovulation and normalcy.
Emily F.
on 4/22/11 7:08 am
On April 22, 2011 at 1:57 PM Pacific Time, Kayla B. wrote:
the prescriber of my premarin was a reproductive endo.  Her primary care is my bones--not too terribly concerned about my symptoms.  I think I might make another appointment with her to bug her again.  I think I'd like to try an estrogen cream instead of a pill. 

Perhaps I just need to be more annyoing...

She did say she could get my pregnant if I ever wanted to...but I am not seeking baby.  Just plain 'ol ovulation and normalcy.
 Try one more time and tell her your quality of life is poor. You shouldn't have to live like this! I hate it for you.
Samaro ..
on 4/22/11 9:43 am
I started HRT for a different reason than you have (I had a sugically induced - hysterectomy - menopause) so I can't help you much directly but I did want to share a couple of things.

I second what Julie said in that you should look into progesterone cream to help balance out the estrogen.  Also, if you are concerned about absorbing the estrogen, you can get a patch for it.  That's what I used and it was small and easy.  The name was Vivelle dot and it comes in various dosages.  Your doctor can change your prescription from oral to patch and that takes care of your malabsorption concerns.

(deactivated member)
on 4/22/11 10:33 am
I use Vivel Dot, too.  It's so convenient!  I'm thinking my dose is too high, now that I'm smaller.  I see the doctor for that the first part of May.  I'll be demanding a blood draw to check my hormone levels.
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 135 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views