Now about zinc

KRWaters
on 4/24/11 1:38 pm, edited 4/24/11 2:17 pm - Manteca, CA
I just happened to come across some information about zinc, actually a link from DSfacts.com. I found out that zinc should not be taken with calcium. Huh? I have been taking my 50 mg of zinc with 2 calcium citrates in the evening like forever. I also read that a "normal female adult" should only be taking 12 mg of zinc a day, not 50, and, of course, i take 2 mg of copper at the noon time (lunch time around). This information was from drugs.com. So i cut in half some of my zinc to equal 25 mg. give or take and now have to remember to take it an hour before my calcium. Edited to read: I really should cut in quarters to equal 12.5 each, but they are too small to do that. I always take 2000 mg of calcium citrate a day because i get them out of my pill organizer, but the other 2 sets sometimes i forget because they are not in the pill organizer. My calcium seems to be fine, but Dr. K. told me to take 3000 a day.

I had my first copper draw and it was 92 (70-175). Does anyone have anything to say about my zinc taken with calcium or what is a normal copper result for Dsers?

Edited because I divided wrong,

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

STRIVE TO BE THE BEST YOU CAN BE AND DO THE BEST THAT YOU CAN.

Check out
www.dsfacts.com  and www.duodenalswitch.com
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

I couldn't have done without all the great peeps on this board.

SW: 234.5     CW: 157   GW: 140 - ish 

Kayla B.
on 4/24/11 2:23 pm - Austin, TX
Karen,

You are not a normal female adult.

You malabsorb.  This does not apply to you.

Test your zinc.  If it's fine, don't worry about any of the things you are worrying about.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
KRWaters
on 4/24/11 3:06 pm - Manteca, CA
Ok i get it, but have you heard of not taking zinc with calcium? And is 50 mg of Zinc not too much to take on the same day as 2 mg of copper. I did get my copper checked, but not my zinc so i will do that next. thank u Kayla

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out
 for all the accurate information on the great DS, and find surgeons in your area or around the country or out of the country.

Kayla B.
on 4/24/11 9:23 pm - Austin, TX
I take my zinc and copper on alternating days so they do not interfere with each other, but technically if you separate them adequately, you should be fine.

I have read in many places to separate zinc and calcium, but I can't be bothered to do so.

Again, if what you are doing is working, there is no need to change it.

Here's a cool abstract I found:

Effect of calcium and phosphorus on zinc metabolism in man

H Spencer, L Kramer, C Norris and D Osis

Calcium and phosphorus have been shown to inhibit the availability of zinc for absorption in animal studies, but limited information is available on this subject in man. In the present study, the effect of both calcium and phosphorus on zinc metabolism was investigated in adult men by determining metabolic balances of zinc during three intake levels of calcium of 200, 800, and 2000 mg/day, and during two intake levels of phosphorus of 800 and 2000 mg/day. The analyzed dietary zinc intake was normal and was kept constant throughout all study phases. Increasing the calcium intake from 200 mg to two higher intake levels up to 2000 mg/day did not significantly change the urinary or fecal zinc excretions or the zinc balance. Also, increasing the phosphorus intake from 800 to a high intake of 2000 mg/day did not have any effect. The simultaneous use of the high calcium and high phosphorus intake also had no effect on zinc excretions and on the zinc balance.

American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol 40, 1213-1218,
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
KRWaters
on 4/25/11 1:15 am - Manteca, CA
Kayla,  i do appreciate your help here. Please read note I sent to Renee. Just to say i don't know if it is broke, but not feeling well last couple of months, just things seem off and that is why i am questioning all my numbers and dosages. I am going to see my PCP and ask her, but don't know if she knows the answers about vitamins. So i am still a work in progress.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

Renee2007
on 4/24/11 11:31 pm - Central, FL
 I take my zinc with my calcium 3x a day and my levels are fine. Vitalady doesn't separate hers either and she doesn't have a problem with it either.

My copper is taken in my bedtime (4th) batch and I don't take zinc with that batch. Again, my levels are fine. It all comes down to what your labs tell you. If what you are doing isn't working then you make changes. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

KRWaters
on 4/25/11 1:13 am - Manteca, CA
So Renee you take zinc 3 x a day, how many mg at a time? I do take my calcium 4-6 times a day, but zinc, 50 mg. once a day. I may add, to you and others, that i don't know if it is broke, but I haven't been feeling well as of late, been off kilter and that is why i am questioning my dosages. I have not had a zinc level drawn yet so i will get that added to my lab sheet. I have been taking my copper between 11am and 2 pm (around noon time) forever, so that is separate from zinc, which I take with my bedtime meds.Is a 92 for copper good for DSers?. I know it is mid range for everyone else (70-175 for normies), but sometimes for DSers the numbers are different. For instance, I know that B12 can be very high for DSers, but for normies up to 9hundred something, I think. I think ferritin? also can be high, but i don't know the numbers off hand. That is why I am asking about zinc anc copper. It is just that now lately I have been very fatigued, irritable, moody, more depressed than i had been, even being on Effexor for a very long time, not XR either. That is why this late in the game almost 2 years out, can you believe, i am questioning EVERYTHING. My hematologist is going to order iron infusion for me cause my hemoglobin a bit low at 10.4 (low 11.7 ), but not always so low, so yeah i am not sure that is the problem. My iron last draw was 65. My trans sat index low at 10 (20-55), and that has been low a few times, but the hematologist did not even look at that number or the iron number. He just saw the hgb low and he said i need another set of iron infusion. If anyone can make sense of this, I would appreciate any input. If not, well i am sure I can work it out. Thanx.

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

Renee2007
on 4/25/11 1:23 am - Central, FL
 My zinc is a 50mg tablet and I take it 3x a day. My last set of labs it was at 98 with a range of 60-120.

My copper is a 2mg capsule and I take it at bedtime. It tested at 144 last check with a range of 80-155.

If your hemoglobin is low and if your ferritin is low you are bound to feel very tired. I can have a normal hemoglobin reading but my ferritin can be low and I have that sluggish feeling.

It sounds like you need a full set of labs done to see where you're at.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

KRWaters
on 4/25/11 1:57 am - Manteca, CA
YES, labs next week beginning of May will be 3 months. I do hope  my D has come up from 27. Adding zinc and another copper draw, thanx Renee. Should my copper be higher than 92 (70-175)? I take the 2 mg at bedtime. You take a lot of zinc, is that about normal for DSers?. I only have been taking 50 for the last 2 years. Vitalady has helped me so much, i feel like i have used her so much and keep thinking of sending her something for a big thanx. Has anyone else sent her anything for helping them out, flowers, gift certificate or whatever? Just a thought.

My ferritin was 55.5 last draw begin of February (11.1-264) and beginning of November it was 71.2 so it has gone down.  How high for DSers?

KAREN W. 

I LOVE MY DS!!!!!

Check out

Renee2007
on 4/25/11 2:05 am - Central, FL
 I think your copper level is good at 92. Just have it tested with each draw and keep an eye on it. I have always taken the 3 zinc a day and based on my labs it seems to be working for me. I agree that Vitalady is a great resource. I think one of the best gifts we can give her is to refer as many people as possible to her for their vitamin needs. Her knowledge has saved and helped countless people and I like being able to help support her family owned small business. Sending her something aside from the referrals is just an added thanks. Everyone loves that!

The higher you can get your ferritin the better.

Renee
 My DS   
SW/263  CW/136 GW/150

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 297 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 769 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 255 views