Keeping your mouth shut.

Poodles
on 5/21/11 11:22 am - TX

Went to Target today and as I was entering the building I got behind a woman that was rather large. (Looked like over 350, I was 350 and she looked larger.) 

It took all that I had to not start talking to her about Dr. Stewart and the DS. 

I know that it would be VERY RUDE for me to insult someone, and I would never want to hurt anyones feelings, but I just wanted to help her.

Anyone else have this dilemma?

Come to the Dark Side!!!                     
Band to DS revision 11/09/09.
Learn about the Duodenal Switch at dsfacts.com ! Off site comparisons of the 4 WLS 
http://www.thinnertimes.com/weight-loss-surgery/wls-basics/w eight-loss-surgery-comparison.html
http://www.lapsf.com/weight-loss-surgeries.html

AllieInOntario
on 5/21/11 11:25 am
That's no go territory IMO.  As much as it would help, some people would be so put off by you approaching them about something they probably feel so badly about - I don't think it's your place.  Let people who ask you, who know you.  Best you can do.
Poodles
on 5/21/11 11:44 am - TX
Notice that I did not do it.  I would never.   But, I wanted to.  

Guess that is my question.  Does anyone else want to "preach" the message of the DS even to total strangers?
beemerbeeper
on 5/21/11 12:06 pm - AL
I have the urge often.  I just want to say "you don't have to live this way."  But, like you, I refrain.  But yes, I do think it.

I have a dear friend (internet only) who is my age and is dying of every co-morbid from obesity that there is.  I have to keep my fingers quiet as I always want to share the latest research I've found, etc...  She is not considering WLS even tho she is in a wheelchair, has out of control diabetes, chronic pain, hypertension, high cholesterol, depression, inability to exercise, and more.  She has a terrible quality of life and a spouse who brings her food.

I have to keep my mouth shut and my fingers quiet.  I try to help people here on OH and that is all I can do.

~Becky

Jolly Rancher
on 5/21/11 12:33 pm
Absolutely! I have a co-worker whom I've been very close with for years. We've struggled together through every diet known to man. She is the only one that I work with who knows I've had surgery. She continues to struggle with her weight. I broached the subject with her one time, and she said she would "NEVER" have surgery, so I stopped right there. She has mentioned the lapband a time or two (she has a friend who's been "successful" with the band - can't eat most things), and I've pointed her back to the DS and she always says no. She says she is confident that she can lose weight, that she just has to put her mind to it.

So, while I do feel for the people who don't know about the DS....it's not my place to confront them out of the blue. Hell, they may be happy with their current size, you never know.
Janice

320/170/150
SW/CW/GW
Janine P.
on 5/21/11 12:38 pm - Long Island, NY
Puh-lease... You know how bad I wish I could talk to my father about the DS?  But nope - I keep my mouth shut.  He's a stubborn ******* and he'll never learn.

I see a lot of large people that I wish I could discuss WLS with.  But it's not my place so I STFU.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Elizabeth N.
on 5/21/11 12:42 pm - Burlington County, NJ
Nope. I don't get off on emotionally abusing strangers. It would not be helpful, quite the opposite. If some random stranger had started telling me about WLS in a store, the results would not have been pretty. God knows I had enough *******s try to tell me about their miracle diets.

k9ophile
on 5/21/11 12:57 pm
Yesterday at work, a very large co-worker fell.  She was in pain and embarassed.  I fell when I was huge and it was hell getting back up.  I really had to bite my tongue.  My agility has dramatically increased, yet if I should fall again, it will be easier to get back up.  Oh, my aching tongue from biting it. 

Today, I went to Nashville with another heavy friend and co-worker so I could support her as she attended a WLS seminar.  Then we went to lunch and did some shopping.  It made me feel better about having to keep my mouth shut yesterday.

"Our ultimate freedom is the right and power to decide how anybody or anything outside ourselves will affect us."  Stephen Covey

Don't litter!  Spay or neuter your pet

grannysgirl
on 5/21/11 2:51 pm - kitchener, Canada

Yes, I`m with you.

I find myself wanting to carry cards around to hand out telling people that they don`t have to live with morbid obesity.
But I hold my tongue and keep my thoughts to myself. As much as it pains me to do so.
But if someone asks, I`m off to the races! Two conversions so far!
If I could I would stand on my soapbox with a megaphone in the middle of city square and shout it to the rooftops!

Sue

butercup
on 5/21/11 2:53 pm - Kennewick, WA
It's especially hard when you don't have insurance or means to pay for it and you desperately do want to have one. It could be salt in a wound.

I know where you're coming from though. When you find a good thing, you want everyone to have it that may need it.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 260 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 738 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 247 views