laxatives-how long do they take to affect you?

lwillis22
on 5/25/11 10:11 am
DS on 08/30/10 with
Hi Everyone,
  So I am so excited my tt, arms and hernia are to be done Friday!  I have to take a laxative tomorrow morning and just wondering how long I have before it takes affect?  I have so much to do tomorrow, not to mention a 3 hour drive to where I am having the surgery.  It says "overnight relief" so I am wondering if I have about 8 hours, but that sounds too good to be true..lol. Any ideas of your experiences with them would be helpful.

Thanks,
Lori

grannysgirl
on 5/25/11 1:46 pm, edited 5/25/11 1:46 pm - kitchener, Canada
Hi Lori,

What do you mean by "laxative" do you mean an over the counter one like milk of magnesia or ex lax? Or are we talking PicoSalax?
Because if it is the Pico or Magnesium citrate, do not venture too far!
I had to be completely empty for my hernia op. So they gave me the Pico, it took about four or five hours to take affect on me (I tend to be constipated at the best of times) but when it hit, Oh Boy!
So, judge for yourself based on your past experience with regular laxatives if it is one of those. But if it is the industrial strength (as I like to call it) be careful how far you venture from the nearest bathroom.

Sue

PS. Congrats on your op! I will keep you in my thoughts, good luck!

lwillis22
on 5/25/11 9:08 pm
DS on 08/30/10 with
It is dulcolax so I am hoping I have a little more time.  Thanks for the post!

Lori

J G.
on 5/25/11 2:58 pm, edited 5/25/11 3:00 am
Lori, sorry to say, but I think you need to be in a hotel room there when this kicks in, not driving there.

Best of luck, I'll be swinging chickens for you! Can't wait to see you post with wonderful results!
lwillis22
on 5/25/11 9:10 pm
DS on 08/30/10 with
Yes, I know it is not going to be good to be driving there but not much I can do about it now.  I have some loose ends to tie up here before I can go.  The laxative isdulcolax not a real powerful one so I am hoping I have a little more time.

Thanks,
Lori

Most Active
Normal
west4thavenue · 7 replies · 77 views
Recent Topics
Normal
west4thavenue · 7 replies · 77 views
vitamin Patches
sweetestdyme · 4 replies · 107 views
Struggling DSer...
SwitchSister07 · 4 replies · 184 views