A weird thing going on-shoulder/chest pain after eating

Julie R.
on 5/29/11 10:07 am - Ludington, MI
 This has been going on with me for a couple of weeks now.   Whenever I eat, especially if it is something on the dense side, like protein, I develop pain in my left shoulder and under my breast after eating.  It can persist for a couple of hours afterwards.     Yeah, I know, I should probably see my doctor and have heart kinda stuff ruled out, but I really don't think that's the case.   I think it's more of a referred type of pain issue.   Any thoughts, wise people?
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

MajorMom
on 5/29/11 10:23 am - VA
Maybe a scope will be required but I hope you feel better and get this sorted out.

--g

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

Julie R.
on 5/29/11 10:33 am - Ludington, MI
 This has been going on since I had that bout with the stomach flu a couple of weeks back.  At least I know it's not my gallbladder, because I had that out years ago.   I've been doing some research, and I think it might have to do with referred pain from being overly full.   I'm going to try lightening up my meals a bit, and maybe stick to some protein shakes for a week or so and see if it helps.

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 10:49 am, edited 5/29/11 10:54 am
 Hi,
left shoulder pain most times is referred pain from the diaphragm. So, yes it could very well be from being overly full. 
I hope you feel better quickly.

Ohhh, classic symptoms of lapband and eating. You sure you didn't get a band installed? ;)

pycca
on 5/30/11 12:15 pm - Haslet, TX
If I eat too dense  meal,  yes I get that.. And if I have ignored it,, the next step is bloating for me//

I am REALLY sensitive to dense or too dry food....

Kathleen F.
on 5/29/11 10:45 am
Having your gall bladder out doesn't stop you from having gall bladder type pain. Could have issues with your bile duct. That said, I don't remember it being triggered by eating and it was on the right side.
Julie R.
on 5/29/11 10:49 am - Ludington, MI
 Yeah, all of my gall bladder symptoms were right-sided, and I think my referred pain was right between my shoulder blades with that.    

duncans
on 5/29/11 12:52 pm, edited 5/29/11 12:52 am
Hi Julie,

Sorry that you are having this discouraging pain.

I have no experience with it. However, I recall reading this complaint more than several times on the main forum as well as the RNY forum. People who had surgical intervention said that they were told it was a result of adhesions from the surgical site anchoring down the diaphragm or remnant stomach. The pain was often associated with a dense protein meal.

Now, what to do about it? I don't know. I don't know how much abdominal surgery you have had, but I hear from my surgical friends that some people are more prone to making adhesions than others. And, the more surgery you have, the more adhesions you can expect.

Good luck, and hopefully, no more pain!

Susan

jewel506
on 5/29/11 1:59 pm - Houston, TX

Julie - I don't have any 'advice', but wanted to tell you how sorry I am you're having pain!!

I've had "referred pain" - and it is still PAIN! 

Hope you get some answers.... and are pain free soon!!

XOXO!
Julie

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Plato
Stormy 918 is my Angel         Angel to DarcyMad, MizCharlottekmg9122,  Staceeann dianeys73/Diane Davis
HW 258.5 /SW 250 /GW 140 /CW 125

kj80230
on 5/29/11 3:29 pm
No advice, but I hope you are feeling better,  Ladies, can you tell me what referred pain is?

~Kj ~                                       My   is Betty (bldeck)                 277/268/174/150  
                     Lab Rat Data     HW/SW/CW/GW

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 356 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views