Flashes have begun! Help me, ladies!

jewel506
on 5/28/11 10:54 pm, edited 5/28/11 10:55 pm - Houston, TX

Just when I was 'getting used to' not being hot and sweaty all the time...... I've started having "hot flashes".  Ugh!!  

Woke up at 5:00 this morning - feeling like I was on fire!!!  

This just isn't fair.  

Rather not take artificial hormones.....  Any other suggestions to help me get through this??  

Thanks for listening to me whine.  

Julie

“Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.” - Plato
Stormy 918 is my Angel         Angel to DarcyMad, MizCharlottekmg9122,  Staceeann dianeys73/Diane Davis
HW 258.5 /SW 250 /GW 140 /CW 125

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 1:57 am
They do make a "bio identical" HRT, but it can be very expensive.  Since my complete hysterectomy, I have tried a number of HRT's.  I'm currently on Premarin, but it's not working.  I'm guessing that's due to my malabsorption.  My OB/GYN will be back in the office Tues, and will be calling in a vaginal ring that it chnged every three months.  If you do decide to take estrogen, whether they're natural or artificial, be really careful out in the sun.  You'll sunburn before you even realize that you need to get to the shade.
jewel506
on 5/29/11 2:53 am - Houston, TX

Hope you find your balance soon.  (((hug)))

Thanks for the tip about sunburn!!

Julie

Stormy 918 is my Angel         Angel to DarcyMad, MizCharlottekmg9122,  Staceeann dianeys73/Diane Davis

(deactivated member)
on 5/29/11 9:06 am
If you still have your uterus, you may want to try some progesterone in addition to estrogen.  If you don't, estrogen should be enough for you.  The thing about bioidentical hormones, is that like other "fake" estrogen, it doesn't work for everyone.  Lots of insurance companies won't cover it, because of the cost.  They say you can get less expensive alternatives elsewhere.  You may have to try several different kinds of hormones, several different doses, and maybe even different delivery methods.  Until recently, I used a transdermal patch for my estrogen needs, and it worked like a charm.  Apparently, according to my gyn, it's not uncommon to have a method just stop working like it used to.  Good luck, may the freezer be your best friend until you can get this sorted out!
jewel506
on 5/29/11 12:26 pm - Houston, TX

I had a partial hysterectomy many years ago - so no uterus!

Freezer!!  That is gonna sound really good in the middle of the night when my face feels like it's 200*!!  :-)

Thanks for all your help and advice!!  ((((hugs))))

Julie

MajorMom
on 5/29/11 2:01 am - VA
I take artificial HRT but I was a day late and a dollar short...got osteoporosis anyway. I didn't take anything prescribed through menopause, just soy, St John's wart and black cohosh.

--gina

5'1" -- HW 195/SW 187/GW 115 July 08/CW 121 Dec 2012
                                 ******GOAL*******

Starting BMI between 35 and 40ish? 
Join us on the
Lightweights Board!
DS on Aug 9, 2007 with Dr. Hazem Elariny

jewel506
on 5/29/11 2:55 am - Houston, TX

Oh Gina!  I didn't even think about osteoporosis!!  So sorry you found out the hard way. :-(

Going to see my doc soon - and will talk to him about this.  Maybe some bio-identical hormones are a good idea after all!!

Julie

pycca
on 5/29/11 7:09 am - Haslet, TX
I havebeen trying out the black cohash, chasteberry and Maca.. at different times to see if any really make a diffenence.. like you did not want to HAVE to take premarin...

Other than that...I can bring you a tiny fan>>>>>LOL

Debi

jewel506
on 5/29/11 12:28 pm - Houston, TX

Guess it's time to start trying out different things - and see if something works for me!!!  :-)

I will see the doc this coming week...and plan on getting his advice, too.  

Thanks Debi!!!  I'll definitely need that fan!  LOL!   (((hug)))

Julie

Julie R.
on 5/29/11 5:33 am - Ludington, MI
 This is worth a try, and it's worked beautifully for me.   I use Progesta Complete  - a natural progesterone cream.    It has been highly recommended by lay and medical people to me.   I order it from Vitacost.   My understanding is that what many has viewed as an estrogen deficiency for so many years being the cause of perimenopausal symptoms is actually a progresterone deficiency.   This has greatly alleviated my PMS, regulated my periods and although I don't get hot flashes yet, I get night sweats around my period, and that's helped enormously with that.

Life-Flo Progesta-Care Complete™
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 291 views
calcium/protein