Colonoscopy post-DS--what are your tips?

JennType1
on 6/6/11 2:42 am - Middle of, TN
 So I get the unparalled joy of a colonoscopy in a couple weeks. I recall seeing some tips from folks about the dosages for the, um, colon blow-out stuff, since we have a shorter alimentary tract than normies.

Anyone who has BTDT have some suggestions? Many thanks!!

Jenn
Type 1 diabetic, 26 years
With great power (the DS!) comes great responsibility.

Christine X.
on 6/6/11 2:51 am - TX
I don't know if it was just me but my intestines didn't completely empty. Even though I was in 'twight' I still recall the horror of hearing the doctor say over and over again, "there sure is still a lot of stool in there" "wow, did she do the regement" "gosh, look at all that stool".

He said after the procedure he didn't know if I just had a LAZY colon or if it was because of my surgery but next time, I needed to do a liquid diet a few days before the 'colon blow-out'.
Christine  "Life is like a jar of jalapenos.  What you
do today, might burn your ass tomorrow".
Check out www.dsfacts.com for information on Duodenal Switch

JennType1
on 6/6/11 4:08 am - Middle of, TN
 Yikes, that sounds not fun for you!

Hmm, maybe I should try less heavy meats and stuff the day before I start the clean-out, just in case. I wonder how you could tell if you have a lazy colon if you don't have constipation probs? 

Good stuff, thank you Christine!

Jenn

newyorkbitch
on 6/6/11 11:00 am
Google "low residue diet" and eat like that for a couple of days before your prep....
JennType1
on 6/6/11 11:35 am - Middle of, TN
 Excellent idea! Thanks!

Jenn

J G.
on 6/6/11 3:01 am
Jenn, this has nothing to do with our shorter alimentary tract, but butter you bum well!  Spread vaseline after cleanup at the end of each trip to the john.  It's time consuming but really saves your tender skin and avoids much pain.

Jenny
JennType1
on 6/6/11 4:06 am - Middle of, TN
 Oh, that is a wonderful tip! Thank you, Jenny!

Jenn

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/11 4:25 am
The stuff tastes horrible and after a while you will want to gag.

I've read where a few people sucked on lemon right after drinking a dose. Some people mixed it with gatorade to make it more palatable.

Whatever you mix it with, don't mix it with your favorite drink because it will never taste the same after that.

I hope it goes well for you!!
JennType1
on 6/6/11 8:34 am - Middle of, TN
 Good tip about not mixing with a fave drink! Thanks!

Jenn

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/11 4:47 am - San Jose, CA
My GI doc knows my short gut and small stomach issues.  He gave me SuPrep as a prep, which has a smaller volume at a time (30 oz twice, night before and morning of).  After the first dose, my poop was so clear already I called his service and begged to be allowed to only do 1/2 of the second dose in the AM - and he agreed!  I was clean as a whistle the next morning for the colonoscopy.

Suprep tastes like acidic cough syrup - I held my nose, and followed each swallow with broth to avoid tasting it.

Other important tip - use aloe-infused toddler diaper wipers while pooping your guts out - it helps soothe the effect of the acidic effluent.

The procedure itself is a complete nothing compared to the prep - be sure to ask to be put completely out - you blink your eyes and you're awake in recovery.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 242 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 730 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 244 views