Are oil slicks just a newbie thing?

kat08
on 6/12/11 11:42 am - Matthews, NC
So I'm 4 weeks out and I have oil slicks.  Not every time but they're more frequent now that I'm eating a variety of things and doing well with eating most things.  So...are they a newbie thing?  Do I need to cut back on my fat intake?  (From the posts on here I'm guessing no.)  Will they go away?  They're pretty gross.  lol
-Kathy
Have you had or are you going to have the DS and live in the Charlotte, NC area?  There is a DS meet up group near you!  PM me for details.
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/11 11:50 am - San Jose, CA
I don't have them, but for some, they are associated with tomato sauce.

They pretty much go away, from what I've read.  But they mean you are passing fat without digesting it, so you can be happy about that!
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/11 11:52 am - Lafayette, IN
 this is just my experience but i found once i was eating all "normal" foods the oil slicks went away.
Janine P.
on 6/12/11 12:09 pm - Long Island, NY
If you're talking about the oil in the toilet, those are normal and a sign that your malabsorption of fat is working.

If you're talking about the oil on your undies, I haven't had that.  I'm almost 6 weeks out.

Janine   Me on Youtube 

kat08
on 6/12/11 12:20 pm - Matthews, NC
Oh thank the Lord that it's not in my undies!  It's just in the bowl.
-Kathy
Have you had or are you going to have the DS and live in the Charlotte, NC area?  There is a DS meet up group near you!  PM me for details.
Fo' Shizzle My Sizzle
on 6/13/11 5:30 am
OMG OMG OMG OMG....

I have gone through sooo many of those clorox toilet cleaning wands, I've spent a small fortune!

But yeah, its a newbie thing. I had a lot of orange oil slicks whether I ate tomatos or not. Since I ate mostly dairy and fatty meats starting out, it was murder on my ass. I'm 6 months out and I very rarely get them now. Part of the oil slick stage is the intestines adjusting to the changes. It will improve over time.

I would also recommend getting those cottonelle butt wipes that you can flush away in case you get any backsplash....
For great WLS info join me here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com and here www.dsfacts.com

(deactivated member)
on 6/12/11 12:17 pm - Bayonne, NJ
I'm over 18 months out now, and oil still shows up in the bowl if I've eaten a high-fat meal. There's a sheen on the water, haha.
NoMore B.
on 6/12/11 12:30 pm
I kind of miss mine.  It was physical proof to me that my DS was working and I was happy the fat was in the toilet and not being absorbed by my body.  I still can get the "sheen" Baileymouse spoke about, but nothing like those beautiful orange globs when I was a newbie.  LOL
(deactivated member)
on 6/12/11 12:37 pm
 18 months out and I still get them.  A lot of times there are just droplets like a sheen on the surface of the water; other times there are huge globs of grease (especially after eating Wolf Brand Chili).  I am perfectly fine with it because the alternative is absorbing it into my body.  I hope it continues for a long time to come.
beemerbeeper
on 6/12/11 1:04 pm - AL
I haven't had one since about 3 months post-op.  And I eat a LOT of added fat/oil.

~Becky

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 359 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 134 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1050 views