What did you need help with postop?

zix
on 6/13/11 10:56 am - PA
DS on 02/13/12
I'm not anticipating having surgery until late Sept/Oct timeframe but I'm wondering what kind of help you guys needed immediately postop? My husband works nights and I have my 3 younger children at home (ages 14/10/6). I was thinking about asking my mom to come out and help, but she lives on the other side of the country so we'd have to plan way ahead.
If you needed help doing things, how long until you were able to manage on your own?
Janine P.
on 6/13/11 11:02 am - Long Island, NY
Honestly, I was okay.  I did need someone to go to the pharmacy for me to get my pain meds after surgery.  Even with my hematoma/seroma/abscess mess, I was still pretty independant.  As long as you've got the right equipment, you'll be okay.  Make sure you've got a shaker bottle for the protein shakes.  Stock up on the water bottles and have them readily available (some cold, some room temp, because you won't know what you can handle until the time comes.) 

*Shoot, just remembered you said you had kids.  You'll be sleeping a lot in the very beginning so having your Mom stay with you for the first week or two would be smart.  You will *not* be able to chase three kids around.   

Janine   Me on Youtube 

beemerbeeper
on 6/13/11 11:19 am - AL
The first couple of weeks were really hard on me.  It was a full time job just staying (or trying) hydrated.  I napped often because I couldn't sleep at night.  I can't imagine how difficult it would have been to try to care for anyone else. 

I think you deserve all the help you can get.  If your mom can come care for the kids, cook for them, clean up after them, and wait on you a bit too that would be my advice.

This is major abdominal surgery.  And on top of that you will be basically in starvation mode.  And until you've lived it you have no idea how tought it is for some folks to stay hydrated. 

YMMV.  We all seem to do very differently. 

~Becky

KarenFlorida
on 6/13/11 12:30 pm - Orlando, FL
I am 5 days postop. I have a 1 year old who still needs to be lifted into and out of the crib, the high chair, etc, so I need help with all of that. My mom is with me and is helping. I know that is not your situation, though. I'm doing pretty well and feeling pretty strong, but lifting more than a few pounds is not allowed. The thing that Becky and Janine mentioned about feeling weak and tired is true. It would be nice for you to have your mom there to help care for your kids as far as homework, making dinner, doing dishes, driving them places, going to the pharmacy or grocery store, etc. Sometimes you just need to nap. Sometimes, something you ate didn't agree with you and you are on the toilet. Sometimes, you just "can't" do something at that exact moment, and kids don't put their various issues on hold just because you feel yucky. And this is with optimal recovery. Some folks feel downright lousy for the first few weeks, from what I have read. If your mom is able to make the trip, I would have her arrive just as your hubby is going back to his work schedule and/or you are getting out of the hospital, whichever applies. Good luck! I'm sure you will get it all arranged.
Karen
Katie K.
on 6/13/11 12:57 pm - Grand Haven, MI
I arranged for my 8 year old and my almost 2 year old to be gone for the first week... The second week for them to be in full time school and daycare.
I needed  some emotional help and supprt and my mom was here with me the entire time. (Hubbs was away on business)

"Nobody will fault you for trying" - My mother
Seminar: 1/8/2011. Initial Appt: 1/27/2011. Behaviorist: 1/31.2011. Surgeon 1/31/2011
Sleep Study: 2/7/2011.
LilySlim Weight loss tickers

overit_11
on 6/13/11 1:20 pm
Immediately post-op, Let's see. A wooden spoon to wrap toilet paper around to assist in wiping your booty. You will be sore and the extra length helps.You'll want some chapstick, lotion, brush,extra long pads in case you have an accident.(sharts) s.f.jello, s.f. Popsicles
Yeah, i agree with the others, you will need your Mom for help.Unless you plan on ordering out or the kids are self sufficient you can probably get by. But yeah you will want to sleep a lot. Hope this helps a little

KellySwitched
on 6/13/11 1:28 pm - TX

The doctor sent me home with inflatable boots that I had to wear while in bed to help prevent blood clots. I could do everything on my own except take the boots off and put them back on.

Jade ..
on 6/13/11 1:58 pm - GA
 I would suggest the help if you can swing it.  It's not that you can't do things on your own, but you need to focus solely on you at that time and not the needs of three other human beings.  Even though they are older, there will still be some degree of "why can't mom help with this".  At times I would get dizzy or not feel well from being on pain meds and it was nice having my mom or hubby around to help fix a glass of water or some blender food.  
HW 299 *~* SW 279 *~* CW 157 *~* GW 145 *~* My Blog 

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 5:38 pm - Yorktown, VA

Your husband works nights, so you'd be alone with the kids at night, but what about during the day while he sleeps?  How good do you think your older kids will be at helping out and helping with your 6 year old?

I had 4 small children when I had the DS (7, 5, 3 & 2).  There was no way I could care for them for the first 3 weeks.  I was TIRED and needed to nap daily. 

Can your husband take any time off?  I think you'd want someone there so you're not solely responsible for the kids for at least 2 weeks.  It'll be longer before you can do household chores.

(deactivated member)
on 6/13/11 9:40 pm
 You may want to call them and ask for a copy of your doc's usual post op instructions to give you an idea of the requirements so you can plan a little more accurately. I needed help with errands such as pharmacy runs, etc. I was not allowed to drive for two weeks so you may need a driver-it depends on your post op orders from your own doctor.

I was spoiled in that I had too much help and family fluttering around me constantly. My nest is empty so I'm no help there...but I would imgaine you'll need help a few weeks after your DS.
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 122 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 664 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 234 views