Scary episode . . .

DivaJojo
on 6/14/11 8:38 pm - Atlanta, GA
Well, you know yesterday I posted about the weakness I had been feeling? I didn't notice it at all after my 45 mnute walk. No issues the rest of the day into the night.

Got up @4am needing to use the bathroom, weird already because usually I just have one solid elimnation after getting up for the morning - but this time really needed to go then.

Afterwards, I stood up and got immediately light-headed, so much so that I had to scramble for the bed and lie down. The weakness came back worse. Spent the last two hours monitoring what I am feeling. No tingling or numbness, but a "buzzy" feeling in arms minus the vibration. Pulse steady and just took my blood pressure (130/90). Little chilly, but I had opened the bedroom window, plus I have chilly moments whn my period is on anyway.

Actually debated if I needed to go to ER, but didn't really feel it was necessary. . . so far have had a good instinct anout that. At the moment feel little "iffy," but don't know how much of that is just my reaction to the bathroom episode (I react strongly when something about my body frightens me - get shaky and hypersensitive.)

Don't think er nnecessary, but ill call pcp.

Any thoughts? Anyone else experience this?

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/11 8:55 pm - Beverly, NJ
Pre-op here so no insight for you but I can relate to the dizzy feeling after a bowel movement.   I have had a bowel movement and passed out as soon as I was done (although I completely understand that my insides look nothing like they will a month from now). 

I hope someone on here might have a better bit of info for you. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/14/11 9:42 pm
You probabaly took your BP when you were laying down and it read normal.  I bet if a snapshot of your BP was taking as you stood up, it would have been scary low. It's called orthostatic hypotension.  This can happen because of temporary low blood sugar (after workout) or standing up too fast and the nerve stimulation after having to do a BM as well.  At least all of your symptoms point to it (I've had it many times).  Please do go to your PCP.  I can give my experience, but it's no sub for a medical professional.

Hugs,
Ratkity
DivaJojo
on 6/14/11 10:45 pm - Atlanta, GA
Does it normally last that long (2+hours)?  I never experienced it pre-op, but have experienced light-headedness after a movement immediately when I stand up.  Usually, I'll close my eyes, hold to the sink and it passes after about 10-15 seconds.  This was much stronger.  I've never had to take to the bed for two hours after a bowel movement.

Also, it was a couple hours later when I took my BP sitting up. 

(deactivated member)
on 6/15/11 1:56 am
I'm glad you are harassing the PCP for answers, etc.

I have experienced dizziness pre-op due to Meniere's (right ear), recurrent ear infections (again, right ear), dehydration and erratic BP. Just wanted to clarify that my DS has nothing to do with my ditzi, er um, dizziness.. hehe.  One other thing that will cause me to have a dizzy symptom is a low blood sugar event. Again, I had this pre-op and my DS has nothing to do with that, but probably exaccerbates the condition if I don't have a protein snack once every few hours.  A low blood sugar dizziness event can last up to 2 hours and drain the life out of me.

Just an FYI, don't try to remain standing during a BP drop when you stand too quickly by trying to hold onto something. Falling down and boinking your head on the side of the bathtub isn't something you want to start your day off doing... trust me on that one!! LOL. I was told to sit back down, wait a few seconds, cough as you slowly stand.

Hugs,
Patricia
DivaJojo
on 6/15/11 3:50 am - Atlanta, GA
Hmmm . . . why cough as you stand?

Ann M.
on 6/15/11 3:56 am - GA
I think it has to do with your vagus nerve. Basically when you cough you kinda bear down which should help regulate your BP. HTH

-Band to DS revision on 06/21/2011!
Highest known Wt/ Lowest Wt (Banded)/ Regain-Starting Wt/ Current Wt/ Goal Wt
379.6/ 272/ 342/ 169/ South of 200

teachmid
on 6/14/11 9:58 pm - OKC, OK
Didn't you just start some BP medication? It might be a side effect. I think you should cll your PCP today.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

DivaJojo
on 6/14/11 10:50 pm - Atlanta, GA
Yes, I did.  I started it last Wednesday, but it's one of the same ones I was on pre-op and I don't recall it affecting me this way.  Although, I was removed from it prior to my release from the hospital, so this is my first experience with it post-op.  At the moment, I feel better, just waiting for a call back from my PCP's office.  I'll be going in on Friday to do the Vitamin K testing (which they missed last week) and also they neglected to do the Hep (Liver Function)Panel, so I'll be getting that done too.

My gut is telling me I'm beginning to feel the increased affects of the long-term vitamin deficiencies.  I assume that if anything comes back alarmingly low, they'll notify me immediately, but even if the numbers haven't tanked, long-term low levels can have their own major problems.  I hope I'm dealing with a situation where I'm going in the right direction, but may feel worse before I feel better.  I can handle that a step at a time if that's the case, I just need to know.

Discussing all with my pcp's office today.

T H.
on 6/15/11 12:05 am - Bryantown, MD
"I assume that if anything comes back alarmingly low, they'll notify me immediately,"

JoJo,  Please don't assume they will contact you immediately. Please get a copy of your labs in your hands as soon as you can.  Too many things fall through the cracks in health care.  

It took a doctors office THREE WEEKS to contact me to tell me I had an infection and prescribe me antibiotics.  THREE WEEKS!  I had no symptoms so I wouldnt have known.  When I voiced my concern to the doctor, she was blase.   I changed doctors.

I hope you get this straight quickly :)

Teri
The only place were success comes before work is in the dictionary

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 266 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views