Pregnancy after DS and weight gain

Jersey Girl
on 6/24/11 10:56 am

For those of you who've had children after your DS, how much weight did you gain and did you lose it all?

A l y s i a  (pronounced like A l i c i a)
Total weight loss since HW of 475:

Pounds lost since band revision to DS            
jass28
on 6/24/11 11:45 am - A Town, NJ
I am 29 weeks pregnant with my 2nd post DS baby and I haven't gained any weight.
newyorkbitch
on 6/24/11 12:00 pm
Is the fetus' growth on target? Are you being tracked by a high risk OB?

I am 11+ years post-op,  I had a baby in January.  I gained some weight but less than non-DSers do.  I lost it all very quickly after I delivered.

Jersey Girl
on 6/25/11 10:23 pm
Thanks that's good to know.  How was your pregnancy?

newyorkbitch
on 6/25/11 10:44 pm
Fairly uneventful.  But I have been,  was, am...VERY vigilant about my nutrition,  supplements, vitamins,  regular labs, etc etc for years.  I get iron infusions 2-3 times a year,  etc etc.  I went into the pregnancy very healthy and I made sure it stayed that way.  This takes A LOT of work and attention and time and yes, money.  And I had an OB practice that was familiar with the DS and has had many WLS patients,  and worked with my hematologist etc etc.  

I stayed on top of all my labs all the time, I made sure to do them often and I added things every time that my OB does not do routinely.

I also had frequent growth scans and did BPPs during the last trimester.  I left NOTHING to chance.

You must go into a pregnancy at peak nutrition,  protein,  iron,  etc etc.  It is very very difficult to catch up even when you're not pregnant...and close to impossible when you're pregnant.

jass28
on 6/27/11 6:23 am - A Town, NJ

I am not being tracked by a high risk OB for this pregnancy.  I was for my first because I got pregnant 6 months post op and was losing tons of weight throughout the pregnancy.  I am just being monitored closely with growth sonograms every 4 weeks.  So far baby is measuring 2 weeks ahead.

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

Jersey Girl
on 6/25/11 10:22 pm
Hi Jass.  I was wondering how you're doing.  I forgot your 1st was a post DS baby as well. 

jass28
on 6/27/11 6:29 am - A Town, NJ
I am doing great.  Had some issues with a bowel twist and intestinal hernia that required emergency surgery at 5 months but since then I am doing great.  Aside from that surgery I've had a pretty normal pregnancy.  My vitamins have been great and my baby boy is growing ahead of my weeks. 

339/318.6/125/155/165
SW/SW/LW/CW/GW      
Revision from Lapband to DS and Had healthy post-op baby, LOVE MY DS!

RainyDayWoman
on 7/3/11 12:01 pm - Fridley, MN
I'm a DSer who stopped losing above goal and I ended my pregnancy about 5 pounds lighter than when I started out.  I am now 20 pounds under my pre-pregnancy weight and my very healthy son is almost 7 months old.  I am breastfeeding but I'm not one of those lucky babes who easily drops pounds while nursing, but I'm sure if I get myself in gear and exercise and trim carbs, it can happen. 
I didn't see a high-risk OB, but I went to a high-risk midwife clinic where the CNMs consulted with peris and OBs as needed.  I had weekly NSTs for the last trimester and a couple growth ultrasounds.  I pretty much took the same supplements during pregnancy, and most of my levels stayed right in range.  But even with extra heme iron and carbonyl iron, my ferritin dropped and dropped.  Within 6 weeks post-birth, my ferritin was climbing again. 

I had to eat like a horse when pregnant - tons of protein - just to stay feeling decent and keep my protein levels normal.  I didn't track often, but I aimed for about 200 grams a day and the occasional shake (those would go down sometimes but sometimes they were a recipe for vomiting, LOL.) 

Interestingly, I had ZERO morning sickness this time around vs. the bad morning sickness I had with my pre-DS daughter.  I wonder if it's because I have better vitamin levels because of supplementation.  I know B6 is a common morning sickness treatment, and I took it every day in my B-complex.

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 266 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 742 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 250 views