Best friend revision to DS

STLfan
on 7/5/11 1:09 am
My friend has revised to DS from lap band. I had almost followed him to the band but went to his group meetings that had all kinds of WLS groups. After research found DS the best choice for me. Fast forward a year and after seeing my progress and much unhappiness from his band he decided to revise to DS and is now doing very well. I am 14 months out and feel great, zero complications and have been at goal weight for many months. I follow my doctors advice and council about vitamins and nutrition and am in the normal range for all my tests ....except B12 which is a bit high but he said that is the norm for DS. Since each person has different needs vitamin intakes will be different and I have found the sweet spot for mine. Which is two multi-vitamins with two calcium citrate tabs and 2000 iu of D3. Oh and don't forget protein which I take in two 20g shakes a day. It's a top down day so I am off for a drive! Take care...love some of ya and others not so much, you know who you are! .......Jeff
Jeff                    
MarciRenee
on 7/5/11 1:42 am - IA
Congrats on your success and am so happy that your friend revised to the DS.  Also mad love to Dr. A!

That being said - if you are only running the labs that Dr. A suggests you run and taking the vites/supplements that he suggest you take you are very possibly going to find yourself in a world of hurt, at some point.  I LOVE Dr. A and he is a great cutter and has given me my life back (I am getting married in a little more than 3 months and hope to start trying to have a baby very soon after).  That being said his supplement regimen and lab tests are LACKING.  You really need to have more tested than he recommends and take more than 2 multi's and some calcium.  If you are interested I can give you a link to the lab tests that I would recommend you have run (based on all my research and talking with Michelle (Vitalady) and a starting point for your supplementation program.  You would then need to tweak what YOU supplement based on your actual lab values.  And all of this that I am saying to you I HAVE said to Dr. A.  He knows what I have tested every 6 months and he knows what I am taking each day and he also knows from whom I got my information (Vitalady, mainly). 

Yes we all have different needs - that is why having your labs run (A COMPLETE SET) every 6 months is critical.  Having your lab test results in your own hot little hands is also critical.  Don't depend on Dr. A or any of his staff to really tell you where you are in terms of your labs.  The only time they are going to be really concerned is when you fall outside of the normal range - either high or low.  YOU should be concerned when you notice a trend where your values are dropping but you are still IN the normal range...and this requires semi-annual testing and tracking your labs in some sort of spread sheet.

I am in NO way slamming you - I am just concerned that you are going to wind up being deficient in some things. I thought that since we had longer common channels we wouldn't have to supplement as much but I found out that a lot of my values were dropping...so that told me that I needed to up a lot of things and keep a better eye on my labs. 
Marci       
(deactivated member)
on 7/5/11 5:21 am - NC
Marci--I'd love to see the labs that you have run when you go in for testing.  If you could send that to me, it'd be great!  Please and thank you?!? :) 

MarciRenee
on 7/5/11 6:54 am - IA
Here is the list of labs that I have run every 6 months - Lab List
Here's the spreadsheet that I use to track them in -
Spread Sheet Template  
Here is the Vitalady Supplement Plan (starter plan, and then adjust based on your personal labs) -
DS Supplement Plan
Marci       
STLfan
on 7/16/11 2:27 am
Marci, thanks for your reply. I will look forward to a future reply so I might find which test he is omitting. The list of tests I see on his computer seems to be as long as my arm so I wonder what could be missing?? If Doctor A is omitting vital tests that would tend to put him in a lower category of doctor especially if you and others have told him of his lack of proper care. I have asked him about vitamin values being bandied about on this forum and his response was to show me my levels at normal and was it my desire to waste money on a regiment that went over those values working for me. As one who would like the information and as one who knows which tests he is omitting could you please share with me the exact tests lacking? And maybe a synopsis of why they would be nessary. This would be helpful when dealing with the insurance Co. Thanks again ....Jeff
Jeff                    
airbender
on 7/5/11 3:37 am
sounds like you are doing well, congrats to you
calendargirl
on 7/5/11 5:29 am - Land of Oz, KS
DS on 04/20/12

Congratulations on your success!  And thanks for the update... always good to hear how things are going.

C-Girl

Starting Stats: Ht: 5' 0" HW: 242 ~ SW: 229.9 ~ CW: 117 ~ Goal: 124.9 ("normal" BMI)
% EWL @ 03 months: 36%             % EWL
 @ 09 months: 80%
% EWL @ 06 months: 63%             % EWL @ 12 months + 2 weeks: 100%

STLfan
on 7/16/11 2:41 am
Thank for your kind words! Don't get online much but still love my friends I have made here Super support and plenty of info, thanks everyone .....Jeff
Jeff                    
Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 166 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 700 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 238 views