When will the misery end??

DivaJojo
on 7/4/11 1:30 am, edited 7/4/11 2:08 am - Atlanta, GA
Okay, I am a patient person (well, I've developed some patience) and have been told I have a high pain threshhold, but I could use a localized pain pump right about now.

I've been doing the soaks and nitroglycerine treatments since Friday and I do notice improvement with less pain during and immediately after elimination. BUT. . . unless I am lying down there is constant pain with terrible periods of painful throbbing that seem to correspond with my pulse. I guess it's because when I am upright, blood is flowing to that area. . . seriously, I can feel my pulse down there ( and it doesn't feel good).

Usually by afternoon, the pain subsides, but my mornings are miserable. It's not the severity of the pain, though there have been some moments, it's just I need a break from it. Please tell me this will end. Doc says normally 60-70% chance of complete healing with home treatment and no need for surgery. I go back to see him in a month.

I am just feelng sorry for myself and seriously need some encouragement. Sorry to bring down any festivities. Just had to let it out.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Julie R.
on 7/4/11 2:27 am - Ludington, MI
 Awww Jojo - I'm sorry you are having so much pain, and no, you're not bringing down my festivities.  My husband is working at least twelve hours today, my daughter's off with friends, I have a mysterious, very painful knee injury with swelling, and I'm spending 4th of July, in one of the  most popular resort towns in Michigan - alone.    With ice on my knee.   Propped up above my heart.  Talk about having a pity party for myself.

I don't know much about fissures, except that I've heard they're like ramming shards of glass up your butt.    I think I had a small bout with one a few weeks back, and I kept getting these random searing pains.    Fortunately, laying off the dietary cuplprits CARBS, helped me, but it took several days for my butt to feel like it's normal friendly self.   I know that Diana Cox has an article on DSfacts.com about fissures.

Hope you feel better soon, and know that I'm with you in misery, sister.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

hope2011
on 7/4/11 2:38 am
Hang in there!  I suffered with a miserable fissure a couple of years ago.  It does get better.  I went to a colorectal surgeon when the pain got so bad I thought I had a thrombosed hemorrhoid. He diagnosed me with a fissure and prescribed the nitroglycerin ointment.  I understand the severe pain you are going through, and even the throbbing with your pulse.   At the time, I was almost 440 pounds, and taking care of the fissure was difficult to say the least.  For pain, I used Nupercainal (I got mine at Walgreens) as all other pain/itching formulas caused inflammation and made things much worse.  I used a sitz bath after every bathroom visit, and even had to bring it to work (thank goodness for private bathrooms).  I used only gentle wet wipes or Tucks medicated pads with Witch Hazel, not regular toilet paper.  Sometimes leaving a Tucks pad "tucked" in there made it feel better.   I started taking Milk of Magnesia daily to keep things really loose.  I have since switched to daily stool softeners and Miralax.   It seemed like that stupid fissure consumed my life at the time and was exhausting!  I have since had some flare-ups where it re-opened, but have not had the severe spasms of pain like the first episode. 

So, hang in there and take it easy. Be diligent in your treatment and hopefully it will heal soon. Don't worry about feeling sorry for yourself - take care of yourself and try to relax!  Hope you feel better very soon!
Sue
newyorkbitch
on 7/4/11 2:40 am
I did everything you are doing - and after not too too long I decided that I was not willing to live with that kind of pain or with longterm need for this kind of situation - and so I had the fissure repaired surgically.  100% fix,  no side effect of any kind,  and it's years later and never had any problem since.  Don't suffer too long - get it fixed.

My colorectal surgeon (are you seeing one?) told me that the fissure would not completely heal on its own (this was after I tried everything you're trying) and that it would flare up periodically for the rest of my life if I didn't have it repaired.  I waited,  I tried everything....and finally that was it.

DivaJojo
on 7/4/11 4:31 am - Atlanta, GA
Thanks for the encouragement and advice, guys. The doc I am seeing is a colo-rectal surgeon. I haven't felt ths shards of glass feeling yet, at least I don't think so. Mainly what I feel is a tight, hot, painful feeling. It lessens throughout the day, is worst the first three hours following elimination, but by evenng is barely almost non-existent.

Diva Jojo:   SW:  440lbs -- CW:  274lbs  --  GW:  240lbs

Most Active
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 57 views
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 57 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 628 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 228 views