-7 Carb tortillas???

a_new_mii
on 7/7/11 4:03 am, edited 7/7/11 4:05 am - AZ
 Okay, so I found these Low Carb Tortilla Wraps (OLE', Xtreme Wellness, High Fiber, Low Carb)

The package says they have ,,,,,,, Total carbs    - 5
                                                                Dietary fiber - 12
                                                                Sugars           - 0

I can count these as 0 carbs right?  I have them in the morning with an egg, bacon and cheese for a burrito.  

Thanks,

OH yeah they also have 8g Protein!!

Join us here weightlosssurgery.proboards.com/index.cgi ~~❁~Ginger~~~
The beginning of a whole new world.              
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

Julie R.
on 7/7/11 4:13 am - Ludington, MI
 I've never heard of negative carbs!    Lead me to them!
Seriously though - I wonder if you have it flipped.....12 total carbs, 5 grams of fiber?
If that's the case,  I think that a 7 net gram tortilla is a very reasonable breakfast option.  I started eating them at about two months out, making burritos just like you do.      There's a kind I get from Walmart that I like too.  They are in the fridge section, and come in a red and blyue package.  I think they are 5 net carbs.   I like making wraps in them.
Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 4:14 am
 Hmmm, that doesn't sound right. If it only has 5 carbs totally, than it can't have 12 fiber.
For them to have 12 grams of fiber there have to be at least 12 gram of carbs total.

The way it is normally listed is, total carbs, then fiber, then sugars. And to get the "net carbs" you need to subtract fiber from the total carbs.

So there is something wrong with the label. 

Janine P.
on 7/7/11 4:22 am, edited 7/7/11 4:23 am - Long Island, NY
No, there are 5 grams of carbs:
Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 tortilla (45g)

Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 22 Calories 71

% Daily Values*
Total Fat 2g 3%
  Saturated Fat 1g 5%
Cholesterol 0mg 0%
Sodium 234mg 10%
Total Carbohydrate 17g 6%
  Dietary Fiber 12g 48%
  Sugars 0g  
Protein 8g  
http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/ole/extreme-well ness-high-fiber-low-carb-tortillas

Janine   Me on Youtube 

Kayla B.
on 7/7/11 4:23 am - Austin, TX
Well, no, this is very tricky situation.

There is no such thing as a negative carbohydrate.

It's just that...sometimes labels list "other carbohydrates" and "fiber" separately without adding them together as we are traditionally used to, and which should be done, since dietary fiber is a carbohydrate and should be counted.  I have no idea why or how they are allowed to do this, as this is more a way that other countries do their carbohydrate labels and not the way traditionally seen in the US.

I would count them as 5.  The label is obviously inaccurate.

I found a forum discussing them, read the final post:
http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lowcarb-recipe-help-sugges tions/625788-whats-up-tortilla-negative-net-carbs.html

Which leads to a public service annoucement for DSers that eat imported foods, and DSers in other countries...often the fiber is already subtracted from carb counts in other countries and therefore additional fiber listed on the label cannot be subtracted again, if you are counting net carbs.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
a_new_mii
on 7/7/11 4:57 am - AZ
 Kayla,
Thank you so much for your post.  It shines a light on a problem.  How do we know if the total fiber count has already had the subtraction? I see it's obvious (i see that NOW) in this situation.  But in the future how do we know?
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

Kayla B.
on 7/7/11 5:40 am - Austin, TX
In the US, the fiber is supposed to be included in total carbs on the label  so this should generally not be a problem.  In a real-life application, it's not actually going to be that important.  I mean, even in this case--you may have counted 0 carbs instead of 5...5 carb difference, not actually a big deal.

And also, you really probably aren't going to be eating that much fiber or sugar alcohols that need to be subtracted in the first place.  Sugar alcohols upset most people's stomach and I generally avoid them anyways, and the goal for fiber in the general population is to eat 25-35 grams per day and most people don't do that, so in actual practice, I bet this isn't even going to make a difference as far as your weight loss goes.  Besides, most things are going to be labeled correctly because companies can get in trouble for not complying with labeling laws.

Just keep an eye out and if a product seems too good to be true, keep your smarter DSer antennas up and check into it a little more.

Technically, you can see if the calorie counts add up pretty close, but that's way too much work for me, personally.  Calorie counts should technically include (fat grams X 9) + (net carbs x 4) + (protein grams X 4).  And I don't know how companies do calories for sugar alcohols, because technically they can yield calories.

It's all very complex, and perhaps important to a serious calorie counter, which luckily for us the DS does not require.

No fear, dear.
5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
a_new_mii
on 7/7/11 4:53 am, edited 7/9/11 4:45 am - AZ
 I should have known not to trust a label that said t. carbs 5 and fiber 12 duh!!!  
I just took it for granted that the package was right.  I took a picture of the package. but can't get it to post here.  it's in my photos though.  Sure makes you wonder about product packaging???

BTW How do you get a pic to post here??? I tried following the instructions and keep getting the message "this editor does not allow copying an image from your hard drive", even after putting it in my photos on my profile.
HW-445
   SW-417    CW-162  GW-175            

Winnie_the_Pooh
on 7/7/11 5:15 am
From what Janine posted above :  There are 17 grams in total carbs,  12 grams fiber  so NET carbs are 5 not total carbs.  You would count this as 5 grams of carbs.  The 5 grams already had the 12 grams of fiber netted out.

Winnie

zuzupetals2u2
on 7/8/11 5:33 pm - Sedona, AZ
I wasn't aware there were any low carb high protein tortillas. That is good news. Thank you for sharing as well as the math lessons! lol

1985 Verticle Banded Gastroplasty to DS revision 2010     sw 280 gw 140 cw 188 hw 360

“If the person you are talking to doesn't appear to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear.?
Winnie the Pooh

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 146 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 688 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 237 views