revision

dana712
on 7/7/11 12:56 pm
Hi

I am having my RNY to DS revision with Dr. K. What should I expect as far as pain?  How long after the surgery are you able to eat solid food?

Thanks
Dana
teachmid
on 7/7/11 1:14 pm - OKC, OK
Hi, Dana,

I'm the first to say that pain perception is different for everyone.

I was on a morphine pump for 3 days I think...I don't remember much about that week other than walking the halls every 4 hours around the clock. I was changed to oral Vicodin ffor about 24 hours then was discharged home on liquid Tylenol #3. The pain management was fine in the hospital.

I probably took the T3 for about 2 weeks. Early out Dr. K had me supplement it with ibuprofen.

Within 2 days after discharge I was eating thin oatmeal, Greek yogurt, tomato soup with cheese melted in it, a little bit of egg. I had a complete aversion to food for a couple of months, though. Its extremely important to focus on fluids. I didn't try any protein shakes until about a month out.

Best wishes for your upcoming surgery.
     -Gail-
SW  257    CW  169  GW  165

dana712
on 7/7/11 1:18 pm
Thanks Gail. How many days were you in the hospital?
My husband and 7 year old daughter will be traveling with me. Do you think I will be up to going out with them, since i have to be in Ca for 10 days.
teachmid
on 7/7/11 1:35 pm - OKC, OK
Dana, I know just how you're feeling.

I had surgery early on Wednesday morning and was discharged on Sunday morning. By a week out I was up and around at my sister-in-law's house, but tired easily and took lots of naps. I wouldn't plan mausement parks, etc, but you'll be ok to get out a little.

You'll have 2 drains and a feeding tube to deal with, but I just tucked them under my clothes when we went for walks. Honestly, idon't think I wore anything but pj's and sweats for the first week or two.

When you wake up you'll have a binder on. If possible, get a second one from the hospital (I did) as you'll be wearing it 24/7.
     -Gail-

(deactivated member)
on 7/7/11 1:33 pm
On July 7, 2011 at 7:56 PM Pacific Time, dana712 wrote:
Hi

I am having my RNY to DS revision with Dr. K. What should I expect as far as pain?  How long after the surgery are you able to eat solid food?

Thanks
Dana
I see Gail gave you a good answer. I just wanted to chime in to wish you well with your revision. I know you will do fine. Dr.K is the best and takes good care of his patients.
teachmid
on 7/7/11 1:39 pm - OKC, OK
I totally agree with Yehuda. The care I have received from Dr. K is the best medical care I have ever received in my life! He will take good care of you and is always available. I just had my 6 month check with him.
     -Gail-

Most Active
Recent Topics
DS to RNY revision?
interpoet · 1 replies · 264 views
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 7 replies · 740 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 248 views