Question on Birth Control

determineddanni
on 7/8/11 1:07 am

Hello Everyone!

I know it is vital not to get pregnant for quite some time after weight loss surgery. It’s unsafe for you and the baby.  Now with that said… what to use? Right now I am taking the mini pill called Cerazette (hard to get a hold of, very common in Canada & Europe) I love it but I know oral birth control is a no go after surgery. I have looked on DSFacts and I saw a couple mentioned that would be ideal.

IUD and Depo shot

Both are great ways! I have heard ups and downs with both but I want to hear from you all how you experienced birth control post op.

So…. Let me hear it all!!

jlflbf
on 7/8/11 1:29 am - Shore Area, NJ
I hope you get some great answers.

I got pregnant with our son 2 years after my RNY, I have PCOS so I didn't think it was a possiblity, however we are done and I want to make sure I do not get pregnant again after I have the revision.

Right now I take an oral birth control and have had no problems.

Thanks for asking the question, i hadn't even thought about that
Shavonne P.
on 7/8/11 1:34 am
I will be going back on the nuvaring
Nothing feels better than being able to go into ANY store and fit their clothes!
April M.
on 7/8/11 1:56 am - MI
My surgeon's office is very clear about this... it's not ORAL birth controls that don't work, it's HORMONAL. Therefore, all pills, rings, IUDs (except the straight copper with no hormones), shots, implants, etc are going to be worthless. The only methods of birth control that my surgeon's office trusts are barrier methods (condoms, etc) and spermicides, preferably used together. Hope this helps!

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

Twi light
on 7/8/11 2:08 am - NY
Really?!?!?  I never heard of this. Pomp told me to use the patch, he didnt oppose any sort of hormonal method but wasnt pro - pill because there may be some malabsorbtion going on and it might be rendered useless.  I was advised to use barrier in addition to patch just to be extra sure.

I dont see how depo for example would not work though?  how is that possible? 

determineddanni
on 7/8/11 2:53 am

I have never heard that? DSFacts states something completelly different.

PatXYZ
on 7/8/11 1:14 pm
I'm sure that is incorrect and have spoken to two pharmacists inaddition to my NP at my bariatric centre. The reason why the pill is out if because in order for it to be properly absorbed it must mix with an enzyme in the stomach and absorb there and this opportunity is greatly reduced post-op and therefore unreliable. There is nothing wrong with depo or nuva ring or IUD as they absorb intramusularly, or through mucus membranes directly.
I've personally had a bad experience with depo so I'm having an IUD put in this fall before surgery. My program recomends a 2nd method for the first 18 months post-op as a precaution (but I'm not too worried).
Jody W.
on 7/8/11 2:07 am - Windsor, CT
I have an IUD and I could not been happier.... I have not had surgery yet... but I am sticking with this method...

Original LapBand Surgery - 07/26/06- DS Surgery - 08/16/2011
 HW/LW/SW/CW/GW
289/195/277.5/242.5/170

April M.
on 7/8/11 2:13 am - MI
I was told that because of all the estrogen flooding our systems with the rapid weight loss, it would throw our hormonal systems "out of whack" if you will, and as a result, no hormonal method could be relied upon, because it might work, but it probably wouldn't.

~April~                                             5'7" 
       2 Part DS                   BMI: S/C/G    59.3/33.5/24.9   

Part 1: 3/14/11                HW/SW#1/SW#2/CW/GW      
    Part 2: 7/14/11                  
379/366/319/214/

determineddanni
on 7/8/11 2:58 am
Is it just the estrogen they are worried about? If so the IUD doesn't use estrogen it uses Pergesterone, same with the shot and the mini pill. So is it just estrogen based BC methods? DS Facts suggest two form of birth control just to be sure. They suggest either the Depo Shot or the IUD with either spermacide or condoms or equivelent. I will have to ask my OBGYN....

What has been everyone elses experience?
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 356 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 133 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1049 views