Do any DS surgeons not require the patient to stop smoking beforehand?

nightowl
on 7/8/11 10:29 am - Topeka, KS

(Obviously not for myself, as I've never smoked, but just curious.)  I'm guessing maybe just someone outside of the US, who only accepts self-pay?  Since the answer might be no, I will also ask, do any require fewer than 30-days free of tobacco before the DS surgery or scheduling of it?

This is an interesting question to me philosophically, perhaps related to the perennial idealism vs. pragmatism?  Also, it reminds me of the "harm reduction" debate over things like needle exchange programs for IV drug abusers.

Kayla B.
on 7/8/11 11:07 am, edited 7/8/11 11:07 am - Austin, TX
They don't do it to be cruel or judgmental necessarily, they do it because it is associated with poor healing and increased cardiovascular and pulmonary risks.  Obese people are already at an increased risk in the OR, we don't need any additional risk factors tacked on.

A surgeon that doesn't urge a patient to quit smoking is putting themselves at risk for higher complication rates.

As for the answer to your question:  No I don't know of a surgeon that does.  Doesn't mean there isn't one.  I think at the very least it would be a surgeon (and hospital's) responsibility to inform the patient of the increased risk they are at if they don't quit before surgery...

5'9.5" | HW: 368 | SW: 353 | CW: 155 +/- 5 lbs | Angel to kkanne
http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/beforefront-1-1.jpg?t=1247239033http://s20.photobucket.com/albums/b224/icyprincess77/th_CIMG39903mini.jpg  
Band to DS
on 7/8/11 11:15 am, edited 2/4/12 3:54 am

Unfortunately, I had to delete this post due to privacy concerns.

Got a lap band in 2008. Tried hard, but didn't lose much weight & developed swallowing problems. Fought my insurance company for almost a year & finally had a band to DS revision on 5/11/12. Have now lost 125 pounds. Yay!

beemerbeeper
on 7/8/11 11:28 am - AL
If they don't require it they shouldn't be a surgeon.  I was a 30 year smoker who tried MANY times to quit and sincerely thought it was impossible for me to do it.

I finally really quit in order to get my DS.  I am two years smoke free now and I am thankful EVERY day that I was required to quit to get my surgery. 

~Becky

Julie R.
on 7/8/11 11:45 am - Ludington, MI
 *LIKE*   Good on you, Becky!

Julie R - Ludington, Michigan
Duodenal Switch 08/09/06 - Dr. Paul Kemmeter, Grand Rapids, Michigan
HW: 282 - 5'4"
SW: 268
GW: 135
CW: 125

Imissthe80s
on 7/8/11 12:49 pm - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Becky! If you quit smoking for your DS then I should be able to quit "carbing out" for mine! That's awesome!

beemerbeeper
on 7/8/11 1:32 pm - AL
I not only quit smoking but I lost 20 lbs in the 4 months before my surgery.  I was MOTIVATED.

Why do you want to get a DS?

~Becky

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/11 2:38 pm
On July 8, 2011 at 6:28 PM Pacific Time, beemerbeeper wrote:
If they don't require it they shouldn't be a surgeon.  I was a 30 year smoker who tried MANY times to quit and sincerely thought it was impossible for me to do it.

I finally really quit in order to get my DS.  I am two years smoke free now and I am thankful EVERY day that I was required to quit to get my surgery. 

~Becky
I used to chain smoke over  2 packs a day of marlboo reds 100's. I was also over 400# and a walking time bomb. I quit a few months after my first surgey when I wanted to start exercising. I just quit cold turkey, and it's been about 16 months. My lungs thank me every day:-)
beemerbeeper
on 7/8/11 8:42 pm - AL
Congrats on your 16 months!!

~Becky

Generic User_Name
on 7/8/11 8:56 pm
*Like*

Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 362 views
Need help for my mom