Anyone know of surgeons who will do the DS on folks with Low BMIs?

Imissthe80s
on 7/8/11 5:14 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
My BMI is 41, sometimes 42 (with a few pounds added)  I have this paranoia about not being able to get my DS because I don't have a larger BMI.  Maybe it is because I've read somewhere that surgeons typically like to reserve the DS for those with larger BMIs.  Yes, maybe I'm being ridiculous but I have this fear that surgeons might try to steer me towards an RNY instead, mainly because of my PCOS and metabolic sydrome and my low BMI.  No, I have not met with a surgeon yet but do not wish to waste my time with a surgeon who will not do the DS on me.  It's DS or bust.

Mdae
on 7/8/11 5:23 am
 mine was around 40.

Sher Bear Mama
on 7/8/11 5:32 am
Mine is 41.6 and I heard it's still possible.  I ihiaven't had mine yet and am still awaiting a decision on my grievance but Bookfaery is here in CA with me and she had barely a 40 BMI and she got it.  So at least here in CA it's definitely a possibilty.  As far as in KY or anywhere else, I doubt it's much different. 

Good luck to you!

S
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/11 5:44 am - Lancaster, OH
As long as you have selected a surgeon *****ally, truly DOES perform the DS (as opposed to one who says he does, only to tell you what a rotten procedure it is and steer you towards some other procedure), the surgeon will not have a problem with your BMI.  Your insurance might, but your DS surgeon will not.
Imissthe80s
on 7/8/11 6:08 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Well, maybe I'm jumping the gun with this stupid worry, but someone told me that a surgeon they went to does not like to do the DS on anyone with a BMI under 45 and that he recommended an RNY for her at first.  That scared me up a bit.

grisaille
on 7/8/11 6:25 am - NC
You did not say if you have any co-morbidities like diabetes, high blood pressure or severe sleep apnea.  These may sway the decision - they sure do for the insurance companies with the lower BMI's.  My husband and I live in NC and I am hoping to have a DS with Dr Sudan at Duke who is a big proponent of DS.  It is his primary surgery from what I understand.  Now my BMI is high enough they will have no problem approving me for that (56.2) - I am just waiting for MEdicare.  My husband has a BMI in the mid 40's and he can only get it because of his diabetes.

HW 369  SW 369 GW 199
Imissthe80s
on 7/8/11 6:31 am - Louisville, KY
DS on 02/27/12
Yes, I should have said that I have sleep apnea but not diabetes or high blood pressure.  Just one co-morbidity for now, but give it a few years.  I'm anxious to get this done now, not later.  I am pre-diabetic and have metabolic syndrome but I don't think the insurance company cares about that; the big three are the ones you mentioned and are considered life threatening, at least by my insurance company.

mariposantos
on 7/8/11 10:51 am - Raleigh, NC

Sorry to hijack, but just wanted to make sure that you and your husband are aware that a group of NC DS'ers are meeting for lunch tomorrow (Saturday) at noon at the Chili's at Brier Creek (between Raleigh and DUrham at the Hwy 70/540 Interchange.  You are both more than welcome to join us to meet other DS'ers in the area!

Pamela

"Obstacles are those frightful things you see when you take your eyes off your goal."  ~  Henry Ford  ~

grisaille
on 7/8/11 11:21 am - NC
Thanks for the infor - will try to make it.
(deactivated member)
on 7/8/11 6:40 am - Lancaster, OH
Again, I say, is the surgeon a true DS surgeon, or a bait and don't switch?
Most Active
Recent Topics
calcium/protein
PTcoki · 6 replies · 364 views
Need help for my mom
Fire_Ice · 1 replies · 137 views
How can I gain weight?
DEJanieT · 7 replies · 1051 views